Thread: 7/30 Early Friday Morning Invite Wheeler Canyon and surrounding area

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar

7/30 Early Friday Morning Invite Wheeler Canyon and surrounding area

I will be in Ogden on Friday and plan to ride Wheeler Canyon. I am starting early because I have to meet my Dad at the gate to their camp site by 4PM.

I know most of you work on Fridays but anyone want to join me??? Probably start about 7ish. Plan to ride and ride and be back to my car by 1ish. Think I will ride up to Green Pond then back over and up to the overlook and then see how I feel maybe over to the ski resort and then back down to Green Pond and on down to Ice Box to the car.
    Chere'

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Are you going to be in town today? A group of us are starting at green pond and doing last chance at 5:00.
    Still trying to get in riding shape.

I am driving up today. Probably won't make it to Ogden until 6 or 7.
    Chere'

I bet that ride is gunna feel really nice and cool after being down south all summer.

Yeah considering the last ride I did was South Rim of Gooseberry last Saturday. IT WAS HOT!!! Sucked my 3L camelpack dry. I will probably need a parka to with stand the freezing temps of the canyon.
    Chere'

Aw man Chere! We are going to swim Pineview and do the Xterra bike route Saturday morning! I'm sad I'm gonna miss you :( It will be an awesome ride, did it today....They're putting in a new trail off of Overlook that's gonna hook up with Maples. If any of you Bogley folks want to help out with building the trail sign up as a volunteer at the Forest Service building on 25th and Adams in Ogden, ask for Juan, and say you want to volunteer for the Sardine Peak Trail building project!
    May your waters be swift and pure, may your presentation be perfect, and of course, let there be trout.

Janet! awe girl I miss relief society.

wish I could join you Saturday, think I am ready for another try at OWS, I think I can do it just slow. getting excited for the race.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by joja View Post
    Aw man Chere! We are going to swim Pineview and do the Xterra bike route Saturday morning! I'm sad I'm gonna miss you :( It will be an awesome ride, did it today....They're putting in a new trail off of Overlook that's gonna hook up with Maples. If any of you Bogley folks want to help out with building the trail sign up as a volunteer at the Forest Service building on 25th and Adams in Ogden, ask for Juan, and say you want to volunteer for the Sardine Peak Trail building project!
    If you're riding the full Xterra bike course be aware there is a mountain bike race on the upper part of the course this Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Numchuks View Post
    If you're riding the full Xterra bike course be aware there is a mountain bike race on the upper part of the course this Saturday.
    Thanks for the reminder! I think we're going to peel off right at Maples and head up Overlook and then back down to old Snowbasin road. Isn't the Basin Bash on Snowbasin proper?
    May your waters be swift and pure, may your presentation be perfect, and of course, let there be trout.

Ok so it has taken me awhile to get back on here and report.

I only road from Wheeler up to Snowbasin via Green's Pond and Maples Campground. Then flew back down the mountain through my favorite Icebox Canyon. It took me 2 1/2 hours to pump my way to the top and less then 30 minutes to come back down again. I went over the handle bars twice. Once at the steps and managed to land on my feet. Got back up and road the steps 5 times successfully. I don't know what my issue was the first time. On my way through Icebox I was singing at the top of my lungs, I think every hiker I passed got a good chuckle out of that. But hey they new I was coming! Then right at the end of my ride at the gate where you thread between the gate and the rocks I hit the rocks too hard with my front tire (didn't get enough weight off that front tire to make it over the rocks) and went over the bars again! Thought all was ok other than my pride. I was too shaken up by that fall to really pay attention to the bike. On Sunday when I reloaded the bike onto the car to head back home I noticed I bent my front rim on the seam! $130 latter I have a new rim for my bike at least it wasn't my hand this time.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Chere'

If it makes you feel better, I can't get up those steps either

I can't ride up them... I was went over trying to ride down them. I am glad the bridge was there it kept me from flying into the bushes.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk
    Chere'