Thread: What to do with Extra Slot Canyon Reservations?

What to do with Extra Slot Canyon Reservations?

Due to changes in my groups dynamics since I put in for our lottery, we have less people hiking the Subway and Mystery Canyon than we have reservations for.

Our Subway hike is on Friday August 20th, we have 4 hikers and 6 reservations.

Our Mystery hike is on Tuesday August 24th, we have 2 hikers and 3 reservations.

I know people stand in line for hours to get walk up permits and I hate to turn these back in if there are a few people that would like to join us. Not sure what others have done in this situation but any advice would be appreciated.

We haven't worked out what we're going to do as far as shuttles go yet so an extra vehicle would be great!

Thanks

Jeff

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    couple courteous things you can do.

1. public invite for people to fill out your permit (could get your shuttle this way too. make sure invited people are skilled enough).
    2. call the BC desk before and tell them you would like to release x number that are no longer needed for your permit.

but please don't sit on the permits until the day you pick up your permit to notify the BC x number is no longer needed.

thanks

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    couple courteous things you can do.

1. public invite for people to fill out your permit (could get your shuttle this way too. make sure invited people are skilled enough).
    2. call the BC desk before and tell them you would like to release x number that are no longer needed for your permit.

but please don't sit on the permits until the day you pick up your permit to notify the BC x number is no longer needed.

thanks
    What he said.

Tom

I wouldn't think of sitting on the permits. Don't like to leave loose ends so I'll take your advice. I posted this on the Zion Hiking yahoo group about a month ago and had a few people interested in hiking with us but wasn't exactly sure what was happening with my group at the time. Now that I know the exact numbers (baring any emergencies) those extra spots are open for anyone willing to join us. Keep in mind though, that we're a bunch of 40-50 year old people that still think we're a lot younger!

Quote Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
    I wouldn't think of sitting on the permits. Don't like to leave loose ends so I'll take your advice. I posted this on the Zion Hiking yahoo group about a month ago and had a few people interested in hiking with us but wasn't exactly sure what was happening with my group at the time. Now that I know the exact numbers (baring any emergencies) those extra spots are open for anyone willing to join us. Keep in mind though, that we're a bunch of 40-50 year old people that still think we're a lot younger!
    Hey, that's what I am! Very cool! Wish I could be there, then. You may well end up with someone here stepping up to the plate. Keep talking it up.

Like the avatar & username - mmmm, P-40 Warhawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    Hey, that's what I am! Very cool! Wish I could be there, then. You may well end up with someone here stepping up to the plate. Keep talking it up.

Like the avatar & username - mmmm, P-40 Warhawk.
    Yep, P-40 Warhawk. I'm an airplane nut and this has always been my favorite.

Hopefully, I wont have to turn the unused permits in and someone on here can take time off to join us. My friend and I have done a limited amount of rapelling but are confident in our skills but the two ladies with us need encouragement (well, one does). We're doing Orderville the first day as a warm up, then the Subway the following day. Half of my group goes home on Saturday and it's just my friend and I for Mystery canyon. I was reading Tanya's description of Keyhole canyon and we may try to get permits for that as well.

I'm Local to Zion and I would love to catch up with you guys for those trips if you have not given them away yet. I can obviously help with a shuttle vehicle as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DSTRBD View Post
    I'm Local to Zion and I would love to catch up with you guys for those trips if you have not given them away yet. I can obviously help with a shuttle vehicle as well.
    That would be great! We arrive in ZIon on the 18th and are staying at the Watchman campground. I have 2 extra spots for the Subway on Friday the 20th but only was able to get my groups worth for our Orderville hike. Have one extra for Mystery Canyon on Tuesday the 24th.
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

Quote Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
    That would be great! We arrive in ZIon on the 18th and are staying at the Watchman campground. I have 2 extra spots for the Subway on Friday the 20th but only was able to get my groups worth for our Orderville hike. Have one extra for Mystery Canyon on Tuesday the 24th.

Sounds great, My wife and I can join you on the subway and I will come along for mystery. I will PM you my phone number so we can chat about details
    I need a Canyoneering partner! I have a open schedule, all my own gear and am looking to go as much as possible..PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by DSTRBD View Post
    Sounds great, My wife and I can join you on the subway and I will come along for mystery. I will PM you my phone number so we can chat about details
    Thanks Tracy, we're looking forward to meeting you.
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~