Thread: Anyone know if Wild Horse Road (Co Road 103) is closed off past a certain point now?

Anyone know if Wild Horse Road (Co Road 103) is closed off past a certain point now?

We've been scoping out using a 4x4 to get to the east side of muddy creek to get a shorter approach to do The Squeeze. On the topos, the road goes pretty darn close to muddy creek.

I know the topos are ancient and outdated and still show the old road that goes down in muddy creek (that is now blocked off by a big wooden fence with big no motorized vehicle signs) that comes down from Hidden Splendor.

I'm wondering if maybe there are similar restrictions on the east side? The aerial images still show a very visible road on the entire route we plan to take, and the jeep we'll be using is pretty beefy (big lift, big tires, lots of custom parts... I can't list them all of the top of my head because it's not mine so I don't want to risk sounding like an idiot trying to describe it and get it totally wrong) - but anyway...

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&sourc...,0.036049&z=16

There's a link that should take you to roughly where Google Maps says the 'road' ends - just wondering if anyone has been out there and knows if it is closed past that or just not maintained.

Anyone been out there on that road? Anyone taken it all the way to muddy creek? It's probably not much of a 4x4 trail but if it is not closed and can take a well-equipped vehicle down to the creek it'd be a much better start for The Squeeze since it'd be a shorter approach and on the way down you can hit up Goblin Valley and some of the other stuff on that side of the swell.
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've done a bit more research and it seems that the trail is called "Wild Horse Mesa Trail. I found a description of it in a guidebook you can get at from Google Books - http://books.google.com/books?id=B9J...ail%22&f=false

Coming from the east last time my friend tried it, he said he got to about 38
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

I was on it last spring: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ekend-amp-more...

It was mostly a maintained road the whole way. A Subaru could handle it as long as it's not wet and the crossing isn't high
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography