Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backpacking list

Quote Originally Posted by IntrepidXJ View Post
    I'm lovin my S90 :)
    ditto. best point and shoot i've ever owned. ever. it rocks. but it's still no slr.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by beachbum222 View Post
    I think someone had a tent under 2LBS? what type? yeah i agree 32LBS isn't ultralight and if i loaded my golite that heavy i'd be hating it also!
    best sub 2 pound tents are made by tarptent, gossamer gear, mountain laurel designs, six moon designs, and zpacks. i'm carrying an 8 ounce tent right now, but it is admittedly a compromise between space and comfort. plenty of 1 pound or 18 ounce options out there though, that are actually tents, not bivys. all of the good ones are cottage manufacturers though.

Quote Originally Posted by beachbum222 View Post
    But im not sure my ultralight get up could do 7 days in the wind rivers either? Great stuff, love this site. i'm on a dirt bike site and tryed sparking some chit chat about backpacking and nothing!
    why couldn't you ultralight through the winds? people do it all the time. CDT hikers routinely carry less than 12 pounds baseweight. a handful do it with 7 or less.

i'm setting out on the wonderland in a couple days, and my baseweight is under 10 pounds. 4.5 days of food included and my pack is 19.5 pounds.

I've switched from a light weight tent to a silicon impregnated tarp. I'll take the tarp every time as long as the weather does not look to bad and if the mosquitoes are not out. After you sleep under a tarp you realize that there is little need for a tent.

I've also used a soda can alcohol stove my past few trips. Great for a day or two. If I was out for more then a couple of days I'd probably take my Bunton stove.

I've also switched from Nalgene bottles to the plastic bottles that bottled water comes in. Much lighter and very durable.

With food, I've gotten my weight down to about 16 lbs for an over night trip (I still need my Lost Ranger over sized down sleeping bag).

Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post
    With food, I've gotten my weight down to about 16 lbs for an over night trip (I still need my Lost Ranger over sized down sleeping bag).
    I have carried more than 16 LBS in water in the past.. I guess I am not as willing to chance some water holes - or go to places with as much water HEHE
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

After 25 years packing in Colorado, I go as light as I can and still have some of those luxuries that make me happy at camp. Pack weight for 3 nights is usually around 30lbs. When going with a partner, many of these become multi-person items and my pack gets lighter as we split them up (Jetboil, water filter, cord, knife etc). Of all items, I cannot recommend the Big Agnes sleeping system enough. The hollow sleeved bottom and baffled air pad that slides in is genius. Throw in the memory foam layer inflatable pillow and you will think you are at a Marriott. I just got down with the Jetboil this season and I have to admit I love it. A little extra weight but so easy and fast to use. Throw in some Starbucks Via instants and you have great coffee in 60 seconds! With the setup below I can hike 10+ miles per day at high altitude and still be very comfy and happy in almost all conditions.

Here's my list:

Deuter 60+10 pack, 3lbs 1oz
    Big Agnes Lost Ranger bag (long) 3lbs 2oz
    Big Agnes insulated air core pad 28oz
    Big Agnes Sleeping Giant memory foam and air core pillow 6.5oz
    MSR Hubba HP 2 tent 4lbs, 4oz (I use the 2 cuz I like extra room)
    Jet Boil plus propane canister
    Swiss Army knife or Gerber multi-tool, depending on if I plan to fish.
    Patagonia shell
    1 pullover fleece
    Hot Chilly's thermals, top & bottom
    Knit cap
    Fleece gloves
    Extra pair of wool socks
    Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero hat (shades in sun, diverts water in rain and it packs small)
    MSR Dromedary 4 liter water storage bag
    Nalgene 12oz flask filled with a fine Anejo tequila (liquid ground softener)
    60 ft of 5ml nylon accessory cord (bear proof your food stuffs and other uses)
    Pur Backpacker (now known as Katadyn) water filter
    Rain cover for pack
    Small waterproof bag for meds and camera
    Wet Fire fire starter tablets...these things are amazing. They will float on water and still burn!
    Mountain House dehydrated meals...keepin it simple & tasty
    Starbucks Via packets
    snacks (trail mix, jerky, crystal light packs, etc)
    camera
    Collapsible fishing pole and basic tackle

Have fun!
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    Here is my list that I always travel with. I like to go light, but I also like my gear to be bomber. And compared to what they used to lug in back in the day, I am light.

Deuter Aircontact 55+10 Backpack- 3 lbs
    Kelty Dart 1 Solo tent- 1 lb 14 oz
    Sierra Designs Serius 2- 2 man tent- 3.8 lbs
    Deuter Dreemlight Sleeping Bag- 18 oz
    Big Agnes Air Core Pad- 22 oz
    Bruton Raptor- 5 oz w/ Snowpeak Fuel
    MSR Sweetwater Filter w/ Siltstopper- 14 oz
    Snowpeak Titanium Mug- 4.8 oz
    North Face Optimus Redpoint Jacket- 21.2 oz
    Arcteryx Alpha SL Goretex Pack Light Rain Jacket- 12.1 oz
    Sierra Designs Rain Pants- 14 oz

Food and Snacks are usually 3-4 lbs, and I usually go with 2 liters of water for the trail.
    I forgot to mention I take my ultralight spinner rod, rigged with a micro clear bobber for flys, and a couple of spinners. 18 oz

I do take a stuff sack with extra underwear, and socks and a shirt. 10 oz

Oh, and don't forget the whiskey. Wild Turkey American Honey w/ Country Time Pink lemonade. 8 fl oz.

I have a rig that I took from a Burton Snowboarding pack that has a clipable canteen bag in the chest area. I have it rigged so I can carry my D90 and a lens, filters and cleaning supplies. I think it is just a hair above 2 lbs.

Not sure what my toothbrush, paste and floss weigh, and don't really care. My dental hygiene is a must.

Great read! thank you! pics? =_)

Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenDean View Post
    After 25 years packing in Colorado, I go as light as I can and still have some of those luxuries that make me happy at camp. Pack weight for 3 nights is usually around 30lbs. When going with a partner, many of these become multi-person items and my pack gets lighter as we split them up (Jetboil, water filter, cord, knife etc). Of all items, I cannot recommend the Big Agnes sleeping system enough. The hollow sleeved bottom and baffled air pad that slides in is genius. Throw in the memory foam layer inflatable pillow and you will think you are at a Marriott. I just got down with the Jetboil this season and I have to admit I love it. A little extra weight but so easy and fast to use. Throw in some Starbucks Via instants and you have great coffee in 60 seconds! With the setup below I can hike 10+ miles per day at high altitude and still be very comfy and happy in almost all conditions.

Here's my list:

Deuter 60+10 pack, 3lbs 1oz
    Big Agnes Lost Ranger bag (long) 3lbs 2oz
    Big Agnes insulated air core pad 28oz
    Big Agnes Sleeping Giant memory foam and air core pillow 6.5oz
    MSR Hubba HP 2 tent 4lbs, 4oz (I use the 2 cuz I like extra room)
    Jet Boil plus propane canister
    Swiss Army knife or Gerber multi-tool, depending on if I plan to fish.
    Patagonia shell
    1 pullover fleece
    Hot Chilly's thermals, top & bottom
    Knit cap
    Fleece gloves
    Extra pair of wool socks
    Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero hat (shades in sun, diverts water in rain and it packs small)
    MSR Dromedary 4 liter water storage bag
    Nalgene 12oz flask filled with a fine Anejo tequila (liquid ground softener)
    60 ft of 5ml nylon accessory cord (bear proof your food stuffs and other uses)
    Pur Backpacker (now known as Katadyn) water filter
    Rain cover for pack
    Small waterproof bag for meds and camera
    Wet Fire fire starter tablets...these things are amazing. They will float on water and still burn!
    Mountain House dehydrated meals...keepin it simple & tasty
    Starbucks Via packets
    snacks (trail mix, jerky, crystal light packs, etc)
    camera
    Collapsible fishing pole and basic tackle

Have fun!