Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking list

Backpacking list

I'm kinda new to backpacking and would like to see what everyone does? show us your stuff and lists? I mainly only summer camp and have some feet and knee issues so ultra lightweight works best for me, but regardless lets see your stuff.

Weight 16LBS wet, 3 days
    Golight backpack, Around 18 oz
    Lafuma 40d bag 1lb 6oz
    Trimmed Zrest pad 10oz or so? want to buy that new thermarest 14oz 2" pad!
    Eureka 2 man tent 3 LBS
    2 liter blatter, tablets. want to switch to pump?
    canister type small folding stove
    first aid stuff
    wind & water proof light jacket
    binoculars "small"
    dig camera "cheap"
    small LED flashlight
    alum pot
    spork
    pocket knife

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I will have to get more detailed later but this will remind me to come back :) My pack weight is usually around 25-30 lbs (I only weigh my pack once food and water are in the pack as a weight without those things is just a waste of time to me). My most recent trip I was at 22LBS with enough to last a couple of nights with only one night planned..
    Food - No cook foods = no stove
    Water - bout a gallon and a 1/4
    Gregory z55 pack
    summer weight down bag
    thermarest 3/4
    first aid kit
    ebook
    milspec poncho
    headlamp
    pocket knife
    Personal kit (TP, Soap, towel)
    1 trecking pole
    That is about it don't need much more for just a couple of nights
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

my current setup -

Pack - ULA Circuit - 34 oz
    Tent - Cuben Tarp - 8 oz
    Pad - Neoair - 14 oz
    Bag - Montbell Super Spiral - 23 oz
    Rain Gear - ULA skirt, DriDucks top - 8 oz
    Filter - AquaMira
    Clothes - Cap 1 tops and bottoms, hking clothes - 1.5 pounds
    FAK - 3 oz
    Food - 2.5 pounds a day
    No stove currently - caldera cone otherwise

Last years 13 day, 115 trip in the Wind Rivers my pack started at 41lbs, food, 2l water, fishing gear, cameras, everything. Have a listing of weights, can post if anyone wants it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobb169 View Post
    Last years 13 day, 115 trip in the Wind Rivers my pack started at 41lbs, food, 2l water, fishing gear, cameras, everything. Have a listing of weights, can post if anyone wants it.

I'd love to see your average multi day pack list! I've never done more then 3 days!

This is great keep it coming!

Quote Originally Posted by beachbum222 View Post
    I'd love to see your average multi day pack list! I've never done more then 3 days!
    Just so you know my multi day pack list only adds a couple of things
    another pair of socks
    more food
    and often a water filter so I don't have to wait 4 hours to drink my water (after day 2 that just gets too annoying for me to handle anymore)
    oh and I always have a small emergency kit that I could probably live just with it but not as comfortably :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

one thing i always do to lighten the load is make sure their are no, or as few as possible, single use items. i try to make everything double duty. my rain shell is also a wind breaker and light jacket. clothes become a pillow in a stuff sack at night. an extra pair of socks or 2 goes in my go lite hip belt for padding on my boney lil' frame. the last five years i never carry a filter in the mountains, living water has never made me sick and studies of even high traffic areas in the rockies and sierra have proven harmful micro organisms are nearly nil. all i need is situation appropriate food, clothing and shelter, just like at home. but since i have to carry it on my back i want it as paired down and comfy as can be.
    signature

I don't have much to add, but I'm always going to bring a water filter (BTW I know someone who got giardia from drinking in Utah's mountain streams, and it wasn't pleasant), and I'm always going to bring something to start a fire with.

Quote Originally Posted by goofball View Post
    the last five years i never carry a filter in the mountains, living water has never made me sick and studies of even high traffic areas in the rockies and sierra have proven harmful micro organisms are nearly nil.
    All it takes is one and you will REALLY wish you had filtered or purified the water....4 oz Polar Pure or a Steripen is pretty light weight. Besides Polar pure takes approx 20 min and the Steripen takes about 5 min. You just arrange to fill before you run out. I use 2 one liter Platy's, drink from one while the other is getting treated.

I will dig up my list.

I will drink water if I can see it's source is clearly nearby, but other than that I filter it. The Uintas and the Windriver range have a lot of domesticated sheep and I don't need the risk.

I don't count weight when I go - if I can afford a light weight option I will spring for it, but it is not a priority - I care about quality gear and how it performs, and with the technology I have found that my pack weight has naturally fallen.

Pack - Gregory Baltoro 70
    Tent - Mountain Hardwear PCT 2.
    Sleeping Bag - Sierra Designs Rainshadow (30 Degree Down)
    Pad i- Exped Synmat 9
    Walter filtration - Platypus Cleanstream. This is a fantastic device as I don't have to pump and I use the dirty water bag as a shower.
    Stove - MSR Pocket Rocket
    Pot(s) - MSR Duralite Mini
    Rain Gear - Teva Event Shell
    Sierra Designs Pillow - I find a pillow a necessary luxury.
    REI Fleece Vest is my only other clothing for less than 3 days. For longer trips I take an extra pair of underwear and socks.

My pack will swallow a lot more - but I use it for food on longer trips.

For photography I carry an Olympus DSLR camera with a 70 - 300 lens on the straps of the pack so I am ready to capture a moose or other animal in a hurry as I hike. I carry wider glass in the pack with a couple of filters and cleaning cloth. I also take a SLIK Sprint tripod. My camera gear is a heavy luxury, but comes with me on a majority of trips. Sometimes I'll even add 5 lbs of fishing gear.

For overnight trips I will sometimes leave the camera and other items at home and just go minimal in a Dueter pack with 1800 Cubic Inch capacity - my pack weight is then under 20 lbs including food and water. I only do this when I am covering miles.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Quote Originally Posted by brookiekiller View Post
    I also take a SLIK Sprint tripod. My camera gear is a heavy luxury, but comes with me on a majority of trips.
    I have been hauling around my full sized manfrotto (8lb), its been a huge pain packing it but the stability has been worth the effort. 2 hours ago I ordered the 1.5lb SLIK Sprint Mini.. stoked to free up 6lbs.

Ok, heres most of what I packed excspt personal cloths for the 14day Wind River trip:
    Backpack 3800cc/raincover....48.2oz Platy 1liter w/suck cap Platy 1liter with reg cap Suck tube & clip.....4.3oz, Polar Pure.....4.3oz, MSR titan pot/lid MSR titan cup......6.9oz, Optimus crux stove/case fuel canister (2)...16.3oz, Spoon knife fork lighter (2) potscrubber....4.4oz, Alumin foil ziplocks Lg food sack......5.5oz, TikkaXP AAA batteries(3) cell phone GPS AA batteries(2) FRS Radio AA Batteries(3) Map Sunglasses/case/cloth Monocular/case 29oz (number of batteries depends on how many days) Tent/groundcloth/stakes/poles/sac...36.7oz Pad/sac....25.7oz 15degree Bag/sac....44.2oz Raincoat/pants....20.9oz Umbrella ....8oz 50ftBear cord...6.9oz TP/bugjuice/chapstick/etc etc....10oz Bear spray/holster 2.6oz FAid kit 6oz Spin Fishing gear.....15.9oz Sony a100/Sigma tele/xbattery/misc photo....50.8oz

Food I figure 1.5lbs per day......snacks, meals GU and shotblock packs

Best to get a decent pack, one of the guys had a UL backpack with 35lbs in it, by the end of the trip his shoulders and back were shot. He wished he had a beefier pack with better padded straps. Ultralight is a myth..........carry what is best and comfrtable for you, whats light to one is different to another. I don't sacrifice for comfort/function just because its lighter....ie don't want to get caught above treeline at 11000ft with superlightweight rain protection that will get torn to shreds.

Quote Originally Posted by bobb169 View Post
    Best to get a decent pack, one of the guys had a UL backpack with 35lbs in it, by the end of the trip his shoulders and back were shot. He wished he had a beefier pack with better padded straps. Ultralight is a myth..........carry what is best and comfrtable for you, whats light to one is different to another. I don't sacrifice for comfort/function just because its lighter....ie don't want to get caught above treeline at 11000ft with superlightweight rain protection that will get torn to shreds.
    only makes sense to go ultralight if you are going to truly go ultralight. an UL pack with 35 pounds in it is an oxymoron. i will tell you though, hiking with a 10 pound baseweight is not a myth. it takes some knowledge and some skill, but it sure makes a lot more fun, especially on big mile days. but, everyone has a different style, and ultralight is designed for people who are moving all day, and then sleeping. if you like to hike so you can have a posh camp, it's probably not the best method. if you like to hike to make miles, ultralight is the only way to go. i like both, so i have gear for both types of trip.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    i like both, so i have gear for both types of trip.
    After nearly 22 years of marriage I am still trying to convince my wife that this is a valid concept....
    Life is Good

Dan,

What are you packing for a camera on the PCT? Obviously not your SLR... but do you miss it?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Dan,

What are you packing for a camera on the PCT? Obviously not your SLR... but do you miss it?
    canon s90. miss it like you wouldn't believe... enough that i am jumping off the thru-hike plan so i won't have to worry about the weight anymore, and i can actually camp and watch the sunset... picking up the slr and then cherry picking the good stuff up north.

Here is my list that I always travel with. I like to go light, but I also like my gear to be bomber. And compared to what they used to lug in back in the day, I am light.

Deuter Aircontact 55+10 Backpack- 3 lbs
    Kelty Dart 1 Solo tent- 1 lb 14 oz
    Sierra Designs Serius 2- 2 man tent- 3.8 lbs
    Deuter Dreemlight Sleeping Bag- 18 oz
    Big Agnes Air Core Pad- 22 oz
    Bruton Raptor- 5 oz w/ Snowpeak Fuel
    MSR Sweetwater Filter w/ Siltstopper- 14 oz
    Snowpeak Titanium Mug- 4.8 oz
    North Face Optimus Redpoint Jacket- 21.2 oz
    Arcteryx Alpha SL Goretex Pack Light Rain Jacket- 12.1 oz
    Sierra Designs Rain Pants- 14 oz

Food and Snacks are usually 3-4 lbs, and I usually go with 2 liters of water for the trail.

I liked the pot scrubber idea! bear mace and rope were great idea's. I think someone had a tent under 2LBS? what type? yeah i agree 32LBS isn't ultralight and if i loaded my golite that heavy i'd be hating it also! But im not sure my ultralight get up could do 7 days in the wind rivers either? Great stuff, love this site. i'm on a dirt bike site and tryed sparking some chit chat about backpacking and nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    canon s90.
    I'm lovin my S90 :)
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography