Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park

I would go up thru west. Due a few days in the park, try to stay one night in the park, and then head down thru the Tetons to Jackson and then home. That is how we always do it and you never have to back track.

Edit

Make sure you swim in the firehole, your kids will love it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    I would go up thru west. Due a few days in the park, try to stay one night in the park, and then head down thru the Tetons to Jackson and then home. That is how we always do it and you never have to back track.

Edit

Make sure you swim in the firehole, your kids will love it.
    Yes, I think we're going up through Idaho to Bear World, maybe stay near Island Park? Then we'll be doing the Yellowstone thing @ Sunday through Tuesday, hopefully that will help reduce the crowds, then we'll come down past Tetons, Jackson, and Bear Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I've heard good things about that Jenny Lake Ferry. How far is the Inspiration Point hike? I'll have a 4 year old boy and then my 1 year old daughter in my backpack. Would that be an easy enough trail for my boy? I'd say @ 2 miles up is his limit right now.
    I think the hike up is only a mile and a half from where the ferry drops you off. There is a beautiful waterfall at the one mile mark and from there you can either turn around or continue up the additional 1/2 mile to inspiration point which overlooks Jenny Lake and the valley. The path has a ton of visitors and there are steps and bridges in most places so you'll be fine. The boat ride lasts about 15-20 minutes but it's a lot of fun. Plenty of parking and good facilities as well. Crowds are a lot lighter early in the morning.

Here's a like to Frommer's guide on Jenny Lake. Down at the bottom of the page there is another link to a trail map. http://www.frommers.com/destinations...120026143.html
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

Earthquake Lake, huh? Cool. What would you say is eerie about it?
    I'd say it's pretty eerie that there are something like 60 people still buried under the rubble that created quake lake. Worthy side trip while you're in the area.

I drove up to meet my aunt and her family who had been RV camping at Fishing Bridge two years ago. I arrived around 11AM and left the next day around 9PM. We were able to see most of the roadside attractions.

We walked Excelsior Geyser Crater, Geyser Basin, Grand Prismatic Spring, Lower Geyser Basin, Norris Geyser Basin, Mud Volcano, hiked the trails to lower falls from both sides, watched Old Faithful spew twice, spent a few hours scoping wildlife at Hayden Valley and Lamar Valley, and a couple other smaller side trips.

The speed limit is 45 but we probably averaged 65. I would agree with bobb169, do the north loop one day and the south loop the next day. Too bad you can't bike the boardwalks, you could see twice as much... or miss twice as much.
    Outside is the best side

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Whatever you do, make sure you drive the few miles east from the Mack's Inn area, and see the headwaters of the Henry's Fork River.
    Hey Steve, would this be up the Big Springs Loop road shown here?

Thanks for the advice.

Yes Beech that is the big springs road to the headwaters of the snake river. Don't forget your Polarized sunglasses and quarters to feed the large rainbows below the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    Yes Beech that is the big springs road to the headwaters of the snake river. Don't forget your Polarized sunglasses and quarters to feed the large rainbows below the bridge.
    Cool, so I've pinned right where the bridge is? That'll be cool to see, thanks.

Yikes! Escaped Arizona Inmates Believed to be Hiding in Yellowstone Park http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/07...mexico-couple/

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Yikes! Escaped Arizona Inmates Believed to be Hiding in Yellowstone Park http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/07...mexico-couple/
    I hope they're grizz food.

Yep, Beach, as RedFox stated, that is the place. Take a bottle of salmon eggs, throw 1 in at a time, and watch them fight over it!
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Beautiful. I'll keep this from the wife for a few days.

I 2nd Mesa Falls!!! If you're going in the West Entrance coming from Ogden you'll be able to make a side route and see the falls along the way!!!

Mesa Falls - Falls are near the "B"

I also recommend the swimming hole just north of Mammoth! It's more like a hot tub! A hot spring runs down and joins the Gardner River. People have piled up rocks to keep most of the cold river water out and make it warmer. The trail head is north of Mammoth on the east side of the road right BEFORE the road crosses the river. It's a short easy hike along the river to the swimming hole.

I just got back from a two-day road trip to Yellowstone. Crowded as always. In search of lodging I left through the north-east entrance and took Bear Tooth Highway (Route 212) through the Bear Tooth Pass to Red Lodge in Montana. It is one of the most scenic drives I have ever seen. At its highest point, the road is at 10,947 feet! Very cool drive! Check out pics from the trip on my home site www.dzikizachod.com

Good to be back on Bogley Where do I find Bogley banners?
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Thanks for the advice everybody, I think we hit 90% of what was suggested and we had a great trip. I'll be writing up a trip report soon.

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow View Post
    I just got back from a two-day road trip to Yellowstone. Crowded as always. In search of lodging I left through the north-east entrance and took Bear Tooth Highway (Route 212) through the Bear Tooth Pass to Red Lodge in Montana. It is one of the most scenic drives I have ever seen. At its highest point, the road is at 10,947 feet! Very cool drive! Check out pics from the trip on my home site www.dzikizachod.com

Good to be back on Bogley Where do I find Bogley banners?
    Spammer. Banners here: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...-to-Bogley.com

I'll be writing up a trip report soon.
    Here it is, thanks again everybody

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...-National-Park