Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park

Planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park

I've procrastinated in planning this, but in a couple of weeks I'm going to take the family up to Yellowstone National Park along with everybody else this side of the Mississippi River.

(or is it yellowstones park?)

I've driven through it once coming back from Montana, saw Old Faithful in the evening and that was about it.

How's the Island Park route through Idaho from Ogden? I'm guessing this is the popular way with the West Entrance.

I'd like to see Old Faithful, Tower Falls, definitely Yellowstone Falls... and all the regular tourist stuff. Plus I'm just eager to get on a few short hikes with the kids, and then relax while taking some scenery in from the road.

Is it possible to see all of the "roadside" attractions in a few days of driving? What are some of your favorite little trails for kids? @ 2-3 miles max

Should we stay inside the park? Or are there some decent motels within reason outside of the park?

And again, yes I'm expecting crowds.

Name:  YELLMAF2..jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  17.9 KB

Thanks for any advice

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I like the Wyoming side of the park, but that's because I have family there. I'd stay in Cody-- 45 minutes East of the park. This place is great:
    http://www.thecody.com/ (Which my uncle helped design and run... so I've never paid to stay there, If I did have to pay I'd stay at one of the less expensive places in Cody:

I like West Yellowstone. A small touristy town with a good choice of motels and eateries. Good fishing in the Island Park area, too.
    We always broke the park up into sections and concentrated on a section a day. That made it easier, not as rushed and not so overwhelming. When my kids were little they liked the up close and personal attractions more than the huge, grandiose ones. Their favorites were the boardwalks around and through mud and hot pots. We adults would be staring at a huge waterfall or mountain peak and the kids would be on their hands an knees looking at a chipmunk, flower or bug. My point is, don't overlook the smaller stuff.
    Are we there yet?

Every time we go, we stay in Island Park. I have stayed in West Yellowstone only once. If you do go to Cody, you need to stop at the museum. Its great.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

You need to stop and see Mesa Falls in Island Park. Its pretty neat....Name:  DSCN0341..jpg
Views: 2035
Size:  76.3 KB
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Dang Beech.... I hope you enjoy your "windshield" vacation because you will be spending a lot of time driving... I prefer to split the park up into different sections for each visit and spend less time driving and more time exploring a specific area.

The one item my family loves more than anything is swimming in the Fire River at the swimming holes located next to Firehole Canyon Drive.... it's a blast and water is bath tub warm as it's heated by all the hot springs that feed the river. If you are coming in the West Entrance you are in the correct neighborhood.

Yellowstone is pretty cool.... everything there is fun....

Name:  fire river 1..jpg
Views: 11243
Size:  130.5 KB

Name:  fire river 2..jpg
Views: 1966
Size:  150.6 KB

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    or is it yellowstones park?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Their favorites were the boardwalks around and through mud and hot pots.
    Yes, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Do most of the attractions have the boardwalk? And are most of the hot pots located around the Mammoth Falls area?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830 View Post
    Every time we go, we stay in Island Park.
    How far is Island Park from Yellowstone?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The one item my family loves more than anything is swimming in the Fire River at the swimming holes located next to Firehole Canyon Drive....
    Cool, I'll have to look into that. I'd love to do some swimming too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Yes, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Do most of the attractions have the boardwalk? And are most of the hot pots located around the Mammoth Falls area?

How far is Island Park from Yellowstone?
    Norris Geyser Basin on the west side of the park and on the way to Mammoth if you're driving from the West Yellowstone side. Mammoth also has some cool boardwalk stuff IF the water is flowing.
    Firehole Canyon, that Iceaxe mentioned, is very fun if you can find a place to park. It's well worth it.
    Island Park is about a half an hour drive from West Yellowstone. You may be able to find a cabin for rent in the area, but I'd stay away from the ones at Mack's Inn- they can be dives.
    Are we there yet?

...also, we always stayed at Island Park with the family. Bills Island to be specific. We had some friends that had a cabin there. We never found it difficult to see everything in the park we wanted to using Island Park as a home base, but it will make for some long days.
    Whatever you do, make sure you drive the few miles east from the Mack's Inn area, and see the headwaters of the Henry's Fork River. There's a bridge crossing the river there where you can look down and see MONSTER trout looking for handouts from the tourists. You can't fish there but you can feed the fish. Your kids will love it! We always fed them small bread balls but you could use small pieces of cheese or salmon eggs. It's crazy throwing food into the river right below you and seeing 10lb trout fighting over the morsels!
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Whatever you do, make sure you drive the few miles east from the Mack's Inn area, and see the headwaters of the Henry's Fork River. There's a bridge crossing the river there where you can look down and see MONSTER trout looking for handouts from the tourists.
    I'd love to see that too. I don't mind driving 30 minutes to get to the park, I've never been to Island Park either. So Mack's Inn is at Island Park then, right?

We're just casually planning this thing, thinking of a nice easy road trip. We may stop by and see a friend in Idaho on the way back and visit Bear World.

Thanks for the tips everybody.

Yes, Mack's Inn is in Island Park... but, technically there is no Mack's Inn anymore. It burned down several years ago but everyone still calls that spot, Mack's Inn. Now it's just a cluster of cabins, a small, dive of an eatery and an ice-cream shop. Too bad, cause it was quite the landmark. The road that takes you to the fish bridge and where the Henry's Fork bubbles out of the ground is called Big Springs Loop Rd.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Dang Beech.... I hope you enjoy your "windshield" vacation because you will be spending a lot of time driving... I prefer to split the park up into different sections for each visit and spend less time driving and more time exploring a specific area.

The one item my family loves more than anything is swimming in the Fire River at the swimming holes located next to Firehole Canyon Drive.... it's a blast and water is bath tub warm as it's heated by all the hot springs that feed the river. If you are coming in the West Entrance you are in the correct neighborhood.

Yellowstone is pretty cool.... everything there is fun....
    Probably depends on the season... Last time I was there, it was a bit too cold for a swim.

(those are the falls up Firehole Canyon Drive, in case you can't recognize them with all the white stuff covering them up ;) )
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

If you stay in Island Park, one night on the way home head North out of West Yellowstone and check out this lake it is eerie and cool.
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

Drive time to Island Park from Ogden is 4.5 hours. Last cheaper gas is in Idaho Falls at the midtown exit. If you come from the South entrance/Jackson cut over thru Victor to Idaho Falls. In Island Park, The Pines rents cabins, also at the Pines is Lodgpole Grill...good eats, turn at the Phillips. Boondocks on Yale-Kilgore Road ..good hamburgers. Stop at Mesa Falls south of IP, Big Springs...turn on Big Springs Loop Rd. Also drive up to the Sawtell Peak Radar Dome, spectacular views, gravel road but steep at the top. At Macks Inn you can rent canoes and swim in the river. Drive to Ennis/Quake Lake/West Yellowstone...really nice drive. Numerous USFS campgrounds south of IP. BearWorld is supposed to be neat for the kids, never been there.

Spend one day on the north loop, the second on the south loop. In the park we always just stayed at Madison CG just because it was a little more central location (near firehole swimming), can reserve ahead of time. Road construction between Madsion and Norris, you will be stopped for a half hour. Bears are numerous this year, so if you can be around the Roosevelt to Canyon area early or late may spot some. If you time your boardwalks to mornings or after 5p not as crowded. Short hikes with kids....Shoshone Lake, Fairy falls, Mystic falls, Artist Paintpots, Grizzley lake, Ice lake, Grebe lake, Uncle Toms is neat (longest set of stairs you will see)

Thanks bobb 169, excellent info! Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelon1 View Post
    If you stay in Island Park, one night on the way home head North out of West Yellowstone and check out this lake it is eerie and cool.
    Earthquake Lake, huh? Cool. What would you say is eerie about it?

Just that 50 years ago there was a 7.5 earthquake that caused the slide and it is close to one of the largest calderas in the world, and then the trees that lined the river then are dead and sticking out of the lake, maybe cooler than eerie but we enjoyed it.
    Name:  Yellowstone Ride&#3.jpg
Views: 1877
Size:  81.1 KB
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

Quote Originally Posted by Ryebrye View Post
    Probably depends on the season... Last time I was there, it was a bit too cold for a swim.
    PUSSY!!!!

Don't rule out a trip down to the Grand Teton's! The boat ride across Jenny lake and hike up to Inspiration point is a great experience. You can hike further into Cascade Canyon which is stunning and it's not unlikely that you'll run into wildlife.

From there, you're real close to Jackson and there is a ton to do there. We spent a week and a half there and thoroughly enjoyed it. A lot of good family restaraunts as well as a cool old west town. Rafting on the Snake is also an option.
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

Quote Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
    Don't rule out a trip down to the Grand Teton's! The boat ride across Jenny lake and hike up to Inspiration point is a great experience.
    I've heard good things about that Jenny Lake Ferry. How far is the Inspiration Point hike? I'll have a 4 year old boy and then my 1 year old daughter in my backpack. Would that be an easy enough trail for my boy? I'd say @ 2 miles up is his limit right now.