Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zions Backcountry Desk Walk-in Questions

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
    I'm trying to work out the shuttle logistics now so it's nice to have multiple options. There are 4 of us doing the hike so not sure if we can all hitch a ride.
    I prefer having the smallish group all hitch in the morning.

Advantages: 1. you're clean at that point, more presentable; 2. people driving by at 7 in the morning know what's going on, and generally will stop if they have space available. 3. when you get out, yes drink beer, then hop in the car and drive down to town for some victuals. 4. it is a fairly long car shuttle (8 windy miles each way) so it does take some time. Hitching at the start minimizes the time spent on the shuttle, and minimizes the times the road is traversed.

I've always had good luck this way, but... past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    Only one person needs to hitch a ride - drive all the way up, do the hike, and the driver hitches a ride back up to the top from the exit. The others just hang out and get interrogated by officers of the park until he/she gets back!
    Fixed it for ya Kev.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Fixed it for ya Kev.

Honestly, I've never been accosted yet - though I've only done about 10 permitted hikes in Zion so far...

Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Only one person needs to hitch a ride - drive all the way up, do the hike, and the driver hitches a ride back up to the top from the exit. The others just hang out and get interrogated by officers of the park until he/she gets back!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Fixed it for ya Kev.
    Ain't that the truth...interrogated by officers at the end of the Subway. A perfect way to end a lovely day in the pristine back country of Zion Park. If they would put on a tree outfit or something I may appreciate the "encounter" with the rangers.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Ain't that the truth...interrogated by officers at the end of the Subway. A perfect way to end a lovely day in the pristine back country of Zion Park. If they would put on a tree outfit or something I may appreciate the "encounter" with the rangers.
    I can just see it!

We had a range come out from under a bush one morning in the Subway. He wanted to see our permit.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

If you don't have a car shuttle, you can also make the Subway into a loop hike, but it's a little longer that way (but not by very much). There's a trail that exits the canyon (North Creek) just before Little Creek. Getting back to the car does take a little map-reading skills though and if it's really, really hot it may not be the best route since it's away from water for the last few miles.

I wonder if the ranger would shuttle you up to your car after your permit is reviewed?
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    I wonder if the ranger would shuttle you up to your car after your permit is reviewed?
    I've had rangers give people in my group lifts before - mostly out of pine creek or other times when we've been hoofing it along the road at night - but I don't have any experience with rangers on the Subway beat. They may be under strict orders to "hide in bushes and attack all who attempt to enter".

We've usually had pretty good luck meeting up when we've come from the top down meeting up with a group doing the bottom-top route on their hike up, and then invariably on their hike back out (since we're usually slow and carrying a metric ton of gear in our packs 'cause we only do it early in the season so we'll have dry suits and crap in our packs weighing us down). In any case, a bit of chatting on the trail usually means you can bum a ride to the top without much trouble.
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    We had a range come out from under a bush one morning in the Subway. He wanted to see our permit.
    I had the same thing happen in Mystery. First Time I met Ranger Cindy she was hiding under a bush at the top of Mystery Canyon.... kinda like a croc waiting at the ol' watering hole.

Actually I think she was sitting under the bush because it was shady.... but it did scare the crap out of me when she jumped out and asked to see my permit. This is the only time I have been checked for a permit that I was not standing at the actual trailhead.

And I hate the interrogation you now get whenever you encounter a ranger at the Subway. Top or Bottom trailhead.... or if you are lucky you get grilled at both trailhead's these day.....

I like to keep the permit in my pocket then I am ready at all times to produce it without having to take off my pack and dig for it. Rangers are busy and appreciate how fast I can produce it. I hike with it in my pocket but it tends to get a bit damp from my perspiration. But no fear, it is rinsed with the refreshing swims so as to say spring water fresh. If I get hot I wring the water out on my head then put it back in my pocket. I usually spill mayo or mustard on my shirt when eating lunch which I promptly wipe up with my handy moist permit. Of course a soiled permit is not a respectful permit so it needs a good rinsing after that. Useful things those permits are. Then at the end of my fun back country experience I eagerly and quickly produce the permit from my pocket to the ranger promptly upon request. The permit itself is a testimony that I, Scott P. Card, have been in the Subway. I have complied with all the rules.
    Life is Good