Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zions Backcountry Desk Walk-in Questions

Zions Backcountry Desk Walk-in Questions

Hi,
    First time poster and longtime lurker here....wonderful forum BTW!

I am trying to find some information on the getting a walk-in permit for the Subway for next Wednesday Aug 4th 2010.
    I searched high and low on nps.gov/zions and also here and couldn't find anything real current! Hopefully someone here can comment.

1) I know the Backcountry desk opens at 7:00am, but realistically, what time do I need to be to to have a great chance for permits? 5am? 4am? or even earlier? I guess I can stay there all night if needed.

2) Can I get a permit for my party of 6 or does everyone need to be there in person? If they require everyone to be there I suppose I can just have the others come prior to 7am, or is that not allowed? Teenagers get awfully ornery past about 2am! :-)

3) I know they wont allow camping in the line, but are they OK with a camp chair and blanket/pillow?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudyo View Post
    Hi,
    First time poster and longtime lurker here....wonderful forum BTW!

I am trying to find some information on the getting a walk-in permit for the Subway for next Wednesday Aug 4th 2010.
    I searched high and low on nps.gov/zions and also here and couldn't find anything real current! Hopefully someone here can comment.

1) I know the Backcountry desk opens at 7:00am, but realistically, what time do I need to be to to have a great chance for permits? 5am? 4am? or even earlier? I guess I can stay there all night if needed.
    Since it's during the weekday, you will have a better chance of getting a permit than the weekend. I've showed up at 3am for the Subway on a weekday before and people beat me to the permits. Depends how desperate you are for em. The earliest I've been was at 2am and luckily enough for me, someone showed up at 2:30 looking for Subway permits too.
    Obviously, earlier the better.

2) Can I get a permit for my party of 6 or does everyone need to be there in person? If they require everyone to be there I suppose I can just have the others come prior to 7am, or is that not allowed? Teenagers get awfully ornery past about 2am! :-)
    Only 1 person needs to be there, while the rest can sleep. But I would take a shift, because you will be awfully tired for your 8 mile semi-technical HOT hike...especially if its your first time through.

3) I know they wont allow camping in the line, but are they OK with a camp chair and blanket/pillow?
    Nope - all of that is considered "camping".
    You can bring extra shirts, sweatshirts, etc. and use those. I've done that and the rangers never said a word that walked past me several times.

Thanks!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Hmmm. Depends on the particular day. Wednesday is not the most busy day of the week. I don't know, 4-5 a.m. Tuesday morning should work for the Subway on Wednesday but then again, it just depends on the day. As for question 2, only one person in the party needs be in line. But he/she who gets the permit must be on the hike and produce the permit to the ranger who, from all reports I have heard, WILL be at the trailhead or trail end or both. They seem to be out in force at the Subway this year. (I better get down there to torment and mess with them a bit. I like to get the permit good and wet in the canyon) You, as permit holder are responsible for the number in your party and if you fudge that, you will get cited. I checked the availability of permits and there are only the 20 walk up permits available. All those to be reserved have been taken. That is how the whole month of August is. So, you will be fighting with other for the 20 available permits. You can line up one day prior to getting the permit and that is HIGHLY advisable. In otherwords, you want to be in line on the morning of the 3rd for your permit on the 4th. Check out this link if it works...

https://zionpermits.nps.gov/backcoun...m?TripTypeID=3

Correct me if I am wrong everyone. It has been some time since I have been in that line for the Subway. I have been fortunate enough to go with others who got the permits for Subway or I have gone to not so difficult canyons to get permits for... Heaps, Imlay....
    Life is Good

Jman beat me to it. My link goes to the general reservation page for canyons. You must go the Subway page to see availablity but the rules are explained (sorta) if you fish around the site.
    Life is Good

Thanks for the fast replies!

Yes I understand that I can get the permit the day prior for the subway...which is a VERY good thing! Doing the subway after an all nighter could be interesting!

I clicked all over the nps.gov site and never did see where they said only one person per party had to wait in line... it must be the wonderful organization over there.

I see the 20 walk-ins available for the 4th, so I guess I'll be there at 2am!

Thanks guys! I'll report back next week!

D.

Blog Entries
    ugh...2am for a canyon.....SO EARLY!! Have fun! Make up your sleep the best you can - seriously you will need it.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Thanks for the fast replies!

Yes I understand that I can get the permit the day prior for the subway...which is a VERY good thing! Doing the subway after an all nighter could be interesting!

I clicked all over the nps.gov site and never did see where they said only one person per party had to wait in line... it must be the wonderful organization over there.

I see the 20 walk-ins available for the 4th, so I guess I'll be there at 2am!

Thanks guys! I'll report back next week!

D.

If you need a backup plan cause you miss out, hit up Orderville. We were just talking about it here:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...le-from-a-Noob
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Kind of off topic but if you were lucky enough to get a permit via the lottery are there 2 lines at the backcountry desk? One for walk-ins and another for lottery permit holders?

Trying to figure out if I need to get up at the crack of dawn!

Nevermind! I think I figured it out. If there are a limited number of walk in spots the line will disappear shortly after they open. (at least I hope so!)
    Last edited by p40whk; 07-27-2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Brain started working!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    where is this Zions you speak of?

Hi,
    nps.gov/zions
    I'm shocked this address actually works. I guess there is a second park with another set of permit issues.

Quote Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
    Kind of off topic but if you were lucky enough to get a permit via the lottery are there 2 lines at the backcountry desk? One for walk-ins and another for lottery permit holders?

Trying to figure out if I need to get up at the crack of dawn!

Nevermind! I think I figured it out. If there are a limited number of walk in spots the line will disappear shortly after they open. (at least I hope so!)
    If you won the lottery, you have a reservation. So go down the evening before it closes and pick up your reservation. There's no reason to be in line in the morning to get a permit that you already have reserved unless you are doing it that day. I wouldn't personally want to start a Subway hike later than 5 or 6AM because the sun will burn through your skin and melt your bones on the approach.

The speed that the line moves is inversely proportional to how fast you need it to move to get started on time.

If you are an experienced canyoneer with proper gear... etc - you could do make use of the evening well the day before. Go down in the afternoon and pick up a walk-on permit for Keyhole at the same time you are picking up your permit for the Subway (although with the construction I don't know if keyhole is workable or not). Keyhole is a very short canyon with pretty much the shortest exit of any canyon ever worth doing and a pretty short approach.

But back to the topic of the line... Short answer: If you have a reservation go to the desk in the afternoon. Also, if you are coming from the north - you can stop by the much-less-busy north entrance that is just off of I-15.

You can also register for the express permit system at the main visitor center if you get there when the place is open. They make you watch a video completely unrelated to wilderness survival and then will set you up with an account so that you don't have to wait in the long stupid lines for permits you reserve anymore.
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

In August, make sure to have a good weather forecast before bothering to stand in line at 2 am. It would be a real bummer to stand in line until morning and then find out the flash flood danger is high (August is peak month for flash floods).

Scott P
    In August, make sure to have a good weather forecast before bothering to stand in line at 2 am. It would be a real bummer to stand in line until morning and then find out the flash flood danger is high (August is peak month for flash floods).
    Yes I will make sure and check the weather. The last time I did the Subway (2006) they would still issue a permit regardless of the weather...has that changed?
    Having done the Subway many times (even back in the day when you had to call in and leave a message for permits) we are very cognizant of making sure the weather is OK before dropping into Russell Gulch. I have always done the approach hike with the plan that we may need to backtrack. Never had to yet, but there is always a first time!

The weather is looking pretty mixed the next few days..gnarly!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Yes I will make sure and check the weather. The last time I did the Subway (2006) they would still issue a permit regardless of the weather...has that changed?
    Having done the Subway many times (even back in the day when you had to call in and leave a message for permits) we are very cognizant of making sure the weather is OK before dropping into Russell Gulch. I have always done the approach hike with the plan that we may need to backtrack. Never had to yet, but there is always a first time!

The weather is looking pretty mixed the next few days..gnarly!
    It takes a National Weather Service Flash Flood Warning being in effect for them to NOT issue a permit (plus about 8 hours after the Warning ceases). Remember, you are responsible for your safety, except when you are treated as a baby by the Park, but even then...

Speaking of the weather, what is the best source for checking conditions? We'll be camping and will need to get the forecast before we make our decision to go so if there's a specific radio station, or if we can get it from the visitor center or somewhere else it would be nice to know.

All of the sites I've visited just tell you to check the weather but I haven't seen any recommendations for where to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryebrye View Post
    If you won the lottery, you have a reservation. So go down the evening before it closes and pick up your reservation. There's no reason to be in line in the morning to get a permit that you already have reserved unless you are doing it that day. I wouldn't personally want to start a Subway hike later than 5 or 6AM because the sun will burn through your skin and melt your bones on the approach.
    Or you can work it the other way, which is what I usually do..... sleep in, stroll down and pick up your permit about 8:30ish after the long line has dispersed, and then head for the Subway. Take your time doing the Subway and the hike out, particularly the big climb out at the finish will all be in the shade.

More then one way to skin a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Or you can work it the other way, which is what I usually do..... sleep in, stroll down and pick up your permit about 8:30ish after the long line has dispersed, and then head for the Subway. Take your time doing the Subway and the hike out, particularly the big climb out at the finish will all be in the shade.

More then one way to skin a cat.
    I'm trying to work out the shuttle logistics now so it's nice to have multiple options. There are 4 of us doing the hike so not sure if we can all hitch a ride.

I'm trying to work out the shuttle logistics now so it's nice to have multiple options. There are 4 of us doing the hike so not sure if we can all hitch a ride.
    Only one person needs to hitch a ride - drive all the way up, do the hike, and the driver hitches a ride back up to the top from the exit. The others just hang out and relax until he/she gets back!

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    Only one person needs to hitch a ride - drive all the way up, do the hike, and the driver hitches a ride back up to the top from the exit. The others just hang out and relax until he/she gets back!
    +1
    Works every time.
    Even better if you stash (bury) some beers (and maybe some sandals) at the exit parking lot. Finish the hike, have a brew, switch into sandals, then the driver can hitch for the car.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Speaking of the weather, what is the best source for checking conditions? We'll be camping and will need to get the forecast before we make our decision to go so if there's a specific radio station, or if we can get it from the visitor center or somewhere else it would be nice to know.

All of the sites I've visited just tell you to check the weather but I haven't seen any recommendations for where to do that.
    the visitor center has the weather forecast posted in more than one place (one by the main VC restroom too). be sure to check the flash flood potential rating too. Those people that got caught in the flash flood a few days ago the rating was moderate for the day which means localized flash floods may occur, and they experienced a localized flash floods.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Zions Bank now has a Backcountry Desk? I'm so confused!!!!!