Thread: Englestead July 24, 2010

Englestead July 24, 2010

It had been a few years since we'd done Englestead and then we ended up doing it last year but Brian got left out. Since he's 60 something and likely to die soon we decided to do it again this year.

Jason went and got permits friday morning and was unable to get orderville permits since he sucks.

We stayed up on the north fork road near the road that heads down. The road has become quite bushy since I was there last and we didn't even see the old logging equipment I was going to show the noobies. It was pretty cloudy and looked to threaten rain but I figured it wouldn't raint ill early afternoon at which point we would be in Orderville.

We left a shuttle vehicle at the upper orderville TH. We figured, correctly, that the climb out would be rough if it did indeed rain. We got back to the top of englstead and started at around 8 (all references to time are in vegas time since I refuse to switch) and finished around 4. We had a total time of 8hrs and 17 min.

All raps look good, though I'd swear that the long piece of brown webbing at the top of rap 3 is the same webbing that was there 7 years ago. We did find several nice sized chunks of snow in the section right after the long hike and before the few exit raps. The chunks were about 8-9' long and about 4-5' wide. You could see that the ground was super wet with tons of dirt and leaves on the walls which points to it recently melting out.

We reached orderville around 1. Still no rain but it had been overcast for an hour or so. About 20 minutes after we started to hike up orderville it started to rain. It rained pretty lightly for about 10-15 minutes then stopped. About 10 minutes below Birch we encountered a couple of rangers. The attractive girl rangette happened to be the same one that issued jason the permit and she seemed very surprised that we were actually hiking out. I grumbled under my breath that I would have gone down orderville if not for the threatening rain.

The rangers were talking on the walkie with someone who was telling them the flash flood danger so they decided to turn around and hike out. At this point it was thundering and raining consistently. As we continued to hike it began to rain harder and harder. Eventually water was running in Orderville. When we reached the Ordeville entrance and started going up it was raining super hard and quite chilly. Climbing up the steep wet mud was a motha fooker. When we reached the top of the little ridge you could hear water running in Orderville and every stream crossing on the hike out across the meadow had running water. Not alot of pics of the rain or running water since we were kind of tense and moving quickly.

It was cool on the hike out to see the tracks of a truck that had gone up. They looked like they had a couple of close calls and a couple of back-ups and restarts. The north fork road turned into a mess. We were in 4low and sliding everywhere. We came across the rangers on the side of the road. They said their ranger buddy was too scared to come in and get them, so we gave them a ride in tha back.

Eventually we got out and cleaned off all the mud. On our way down we saw that keyhole was flowing as well as pine creek. When we came out of the tunnel we saw a helicopter bank in and hover right above the last two raps in the spry canyon proper. We didn't see any water coming over the lambs tongue rap but figured it must have flashed. We watched the helicopter hover the entire time we drove down the switchbacks. When we drove over the virign it was flowing pretty hard as well.

Good times. Sorry for the pic quality, it wasn't till I pulled the pics off and saw they were blurry that I relaized there was a substantial smear on the lense.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great trip report! I've done Englestead out through the Narrows, I've done Birch out through the Narrows and I've done Birch and then back up Orderville to the North fork many times but have never done Englestead and then exited up Orderville. I plan on doing just that in the next month and if I remember correctly, there are no real obstacles between the Englestead exit and Birch Exit, right or is there one rappel we will have to upclimb? How long did it take you to get from the Englestead exit to the Birch exit? Thanks for any info. It's been too long and I can't remember.
    Bryan in Las Vegas

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    you have to up climb the first rappel obstacle in orderville from englestead if exiting upstream. easier with sticky rubber shoes and dry clay bed at the base of the rappel. challenging with wet pool & clay for the rappel.

Fun stuff - thanks for the trip report! Glad that Brian got another chance to get through the big E before the end...

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    It had been a few years since we'd done Englestead and then we ended up doing it last year but Brian got left out. Since he's 60 something and likely to die soon we decided to do it again this year.

Jason went and got permits friday morning and was unable to get orderville permits since he sucks.
    Nice TR. Glad all made it out safely.
    Life is Good

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    you have to up climb the first rappel obstacle in orderville from englestead if exiting upstream. easier with sticky rubber shoes and dry clay bed at the base of the rappel. challenging with wet pool & clay for the rappel.
    Not anymore Shaun, a rabbit hole has appeared on canyon left of the first Orderville rappel that makes an upclimb considerably easier than climbing where the anchor is on canyon right.

edit- this information is dated, we did it last on July 6th.
    Could be filled back in after some of these rainstorms.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Not anymore Shaun, a rabbit hole has appeared on canyon left of the first Orderville rappel that makes an upclimb considerably easier than climbing where the anchor is on canyon right.
    you youngn's have it so easy these days.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post

edit- this information is dated, we did it last on July 6th.
    Could be filled back in after some of these rainstorms.
    The rabbit hole was still there but it looked way tight for me (but our skinniest guy did it) so I upclimbed on the left side of the boulder. It was easy since we had four people but as long as there are at least two the obstacle shouldn't pose a problem.

The boulder was the only obstacle we encountered going upstream. It took us about 3:00 hours total from the englestead exit to the upper orderville TH but that included at least a 20 minute gab fest with the rangers at Birch and several stops to admire the rain and thunder. I think it took us about 40 minutes to reach Birch, another 50 minutes to the lower TH and then about an 1.5 to the upper TH, but we were taking our time.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Bogley BigShot
    That is not your best close up Big Guy.

Nice trail report!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    The rabbit hole was still there but it looked way tight for me (but our skinniest guy did it) so I upclimbed on the left side of the boulder. It was easy since we had four people but as long as there are at least two the obstacle shouldn't pose a problem.

The boulder was the only obstacle we encountered going upstream. It took us about 3:00 hours total from the englestead exit to the upper orderville TH but that included at least a 20 minute gab fest with the rangers at Birch and several stops to admire the rain and thunder. I think it took us about 40 minutes to reach Birch, another 50 minutes to the lower TH and then about an 1.5 to the upper TH, but we were taking our time.
    Was it flowing when you did the upclimb? Did you walk all the way up to the start of Engelstead? Yuck, done that, it is WAY longer, WAY more uphill than you would think.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Was it flowing when you did the upclimb? Did you walk all the way up to the start of Engelstead? Yuck, done that, it is WAY longer, WAY more uphill than you would think.

Tom
    No, Orderville dind't start flowing till we reached Birch and at that point I'd say it was maybe .5 -1 cfs but by the time we reached the orderville exit it was probably at 2 - 2.5. We had left a car at the upper orderville TH but I was still surprised at how long the meadow is inbetween orderville and the hill climb and how much elevation is gained overall by hiking to the upper TH.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    That is not your best close up Big Guy.

Nice trail report!
    That's crazy talk. Any close-up of me is a good close-up!

That's an angry, wet, hurt, and tired hiker. The mud would cake onto the bottom of the shoes providing a 'rolling' surface that wreaked havoc on my knees and ankles for the entire hike out!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!