Thread: Last Exit for the Lost - Wet Coast Canyoneering

Last Exit for the Lost - Wet Coast Canyoneering

Where: Last Exit for the Lost - 2 hours east of Vancouver, BC
    When: July 23rd, 2010
    Who: Cirrus2000 (me) and northernoutpost (Chris)

Finally did my first local canyon, thanks to Chris - we've been meaning to get out and do something like this for a couple of years now, and it finally happened. I'm now hooked on this local stuff - really amazing.

This was a short canyon, through which we really took our time. Weather was terrific - nice and warm - so we were in no hurry. Chris had had a hectic day before, and I've been working way too hard around the house lately, so we were both in the mood for a relaxing day. And so it was.

We reached the trailhead and were on our way at around 10:30. Under 10 minutes to the start of the canyon, where we suited up. After a refreshing jump into a waterfall pool, we started on down the canyon.

Chris called this our local answer to Keyhole Canyon, and I have to agree. Short, sweet, easy approach. It delivers the goods non-stop, start to finish. Two very short rappels through waterfalls. Two or three swims of up to about 20 or 30 meters. Lots of beautiful granite narrows.

Chris had previously done the canyon in about 2 hours. Taking our time, we managed to stretch it out to five hours, plus the 15 minute walk back to the Jeep from the exit.

Here are a few photos. There are more here, on Picasa.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Way cool Kev, I'll bet that water was brutally cold. What thickness of wetsuit did you use?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Nice.

Looks slippery and challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Way cool Kev, I'll bet that water was brutally cold. What thickness of wetsuit did you use?
    Thanks, Kurt. I was very surprised at just how warm the water was. Well, not actually warm, but not nearly as cold as I expected. We've had very warm weather up here for the last 2-3 weeks (mid 20s to low 30s), and no rain for all that time. I was wearing a 4/3, and Chris had a 5mm suit on. I was very comfortable, even taking our time. I think I shivered only once or twice the entire trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Nice.

Looks slippery and challenging.
    Thanks, Scott. It was definitely slippery! In one spot, going along a slab around a short drop, Chris had a slip and wrenched his arm a bit. Nothing serious, and he arrested his fall almost immediately, but a good reminder that the granite can be slippery! Rock that was in & out of, or close to the water was very treacherous. Most of the rock directly in the water was quite grippy. We both commented that we weren't in CP canyons and had to actually think about the traction.

The challenges weren't technical, but more about stability. Always keeping multiple points of contact. I'm surprisingly achy this morning, from the full body workout of manoeuvring through the boulders!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    bogley fest crash in kev's back yard!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    bogley fest crash in kev's back yard!!!
    I'm in! Canadian Canyon Festival - CanCan Fest! Who's coming up?!?

A great day it was, Kevin. I had forgotten just how much Last Exit packs into a short distance. An appropriate finisher for the PNW if my "hectic day" develops into something more. I would definitely miss the Class C element . If the Can-Can fest ever takes place, may I suggest the following setup: Norrish-Last Exit-Terror Pockets-Cypress-Looper-Boston (A fine north of the border collection)

Let's see if I can get the photo upload on the first try....Name:  Lost-Creek-Narrow.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  140.1 KB
    Name:  LC-last-exit..jpg
Views: 408
Size:  72.3 KB

Great TR looks like a good time.
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

Very nice!!!
    Life is Good

I knew there was awesome canyons up there and you were holding out on us.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.