Thread: BSA Climbing & Canyoneering

BSA Climbing & Canyoneering

Started a meetup group at:

http://www.meetup.com/BSA-ClimbingCanyoneering/

Intent is to provide a centralized calendar for Scout leaders seeking training in climbing/rappelling and canyoneering. Participation is open to active Scouters throughout the western United States.

Posted events will include Climb On Safely, BSA Climbing Instructor and Canyoneering Leader courses, as well as wilderness first aid and other related training.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for doing this, Rich. I've appreciated Brandt Jones and Mark Rosen for the work they have done in getting quality canyoneering and climbing classes going in the Salt Lake Council. It has been cool of them to allow me to go up there and take classes, even though I'm from the Utah National Parks Council.

Now that we'll have high quality instruction in the Utah National Parks Council, I hope we'll be able to get men and women involved in Scouts and the young women's youth groups to take the classes and take their boys and girls out safely.

Rich, let me know if I can help in any way. I'd like to see guys from my area (Toquerville & LaVerkin) sign up for some classes. Let me know, I'd like to help advertise at Round Table (monthly training meetings for adults) to drum up interest.

Thanks, Matt. Looking forward to working with you. Best thing you can do to help short term is get the word out. Encourage other Scout leaders to join the meetup group. Share your ideas with me and encourage others to do the same. I have a lot to learn about the Scout program and will need as much help as I can get.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

I will be hosting a series of canyon trips for Scout Leaders. The intent is to develop a list of canyons that are appropriate for Scouts and offer Scout Leader only trips with an experienced BSA or ACA leader to provide opportunities to learn skills and techniques specific to each vertical problem in the canyons, plus discuss trip planning, logistics, gear requirements, recommended group size limits, route finding, emergency exits, leave no trace practices, etc.

First trip is on the calendar August 7th to Yankee Doodle. Planning to put a Birch Hollow trip on the calendar soon thereafter.

Eligibility: Free to Scout Leaders who have completed BSA climbing instructor or canyon leader training or any ACA canyoneering course. Not limited to UNPC Leaders.

http://www.meetup.com/BSA-ClimbingCanyoneering/
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

2-Day Technical Canyoneering Course for Scout Leaders
    Friday-Saturday, Aug 13-14
    Out 'N Back in Orem, Utah

Instructors: Rich Carlson, Steve Jackson and Clark Wiscombe

http://www.meetup.com/BSA-ClimbingCa...ndar/14206502/
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

Nice...
    Life is Good

Friday-Saturday, Aug 27-28
    Canyons & Crags in Cedar City, Utah

Instructors: Rich Carlson

http://www.meetup.com/BSA-ClimbingCa...ndar/14220503/
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Friday-Saturday, Aug 27-28
    Canyons & Crags in Cedar City, Utah

Instructors: Rich Carlson

http://www.meetup.com/BSA-ClimbingCa...ndar/14220503/

Rich,

At this point do you have an idea what all we have to take for complete BSA certification?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    At this point do you have an idea what all we have to take for complete BSA certification?
    Mark,
    Still planning/hoping to create a program in our council that matches that of GSLC, but much work to do. Currently, GSLC requires Scout Leaders to first become BSA Climbing Instructors, then complete 4-5 days of canyoneering instruction, then a bit of mentoring. Much like the ACA canyon leader program.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor