Thread: Where to go? Have any suggestions?

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar

Where to go? Have any suggestions?

I promised Spencer my son we would try backpacking this summer. We have been doing hikes in Zion to condition ourselves and would like to try for a trip next month before school start back.

What do you suggest for a first time backpack trip?

We don't want to travel very far from St. George 2-3 hours.
    We want to leave Friday day and stay Friday night and Saturday night and hike back on Sunday.
    I think to a lake would be nice. Spencer likes to fish and we could pitch our tent Fri and just hang out, relax Sat fishing and come home Sun.
    Chere'

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    place with a lake, no more than 2-3 hours from the george, and it's hot outside during this time.

I'd recomend perhaps the virgin rim trail in the mountains up above cedar city. it's high in elevation so it will be cooler and it passes by Navajo lake. I've seen people fish there but I'm unsure of the fishing quality. Navajo is a popular place.

For a nice backpack, you could do the Summit Trail in the Pine Valley Mountains. It makes a nice loop from the Pine Valley side. Nice meadows and creeks, but no lakes though.

Ashdown Gorge is another good hike, but no lakes there either.

The Tushar Mountains near Beaver have many lakes to hike to. Some have fish.

Farther afield, Boulder Mountain may be what you are looking for. It has lakes and fishing galore, but is about 3 hours from St. George, possibly slightly more.

two votes for boulder mountain. close enough to st. george to be reasonable. heaps of options for trails, most of which will get you to a lake with some fish in it. plus it should have enough altitude to be a little cooler. access roads are easily accessible from the highway headed in to escalante.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Pine valley should be on your list, very nice trails out of the town of Pine Valley. Also a small lake between town and the trailhead.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Blog Entries
    I would agree with Boulder mountain area and Navajo lake as options. You could also try up by Enterprise. There use to be a reservoir up there, but they drained it - but there is still a sizeable amount of water. But not really a backpacking area but definitely fun area to explore.

Pine Valley (the city) has numerous trails that lead into the mountains. You can buy a book from the BLM on Riverside Dr. called "Loving the Laccolith (Pine Valley Mnts)". It contains pages and pages of hiking destinations, trails, streams, for those mountains. Probably the best book for those Mountains, that I've discovered.

There is a place up on Mt. Trumbull called "Death valley Lake". Quite Secluded. High elevation. 1 1/2 - 2 hr drive. Nice lake with lots of bluegill. Plus, you got some Big A Ponderosa trees in that area too. The BLM office can guide ya there too.

Ashdown Gorge, as Scott mentioned, is nice.

You could make Kolob Arch into a backpacking trip. And the stream has some fish - and you got a handful of camping spots up there.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"