Thread: Duck Lake- Uintas- July 2010

Duck Lake- Uintas- July 2010

Finally, after waiting and having to jostle my schedule around, I was able to make it to the Uinta's this season. This trip was just me and my buddy Robbie, for the rest of the crew bagged out last minute. We arrived to find that the skeeters were outrageous, and we deet'ed up and threw on the packs and headed in. As soon as we got to the pass, a thunderstorm that was pretty violent opened up on us. Lightning and some pretty heavy rain got the rain gear out at a rapid pace. We hiked in the rain for sometime, arriving at Weir Lake, and having the sun come back out and the sky clear up. This made it a very nice stroll all the way down to Duck Lake. We made camp, got our fire going, and made dinner. Then about midnight as we were packing it in for the evening, I saw lightning in the distance. As soon as I zipped my tent shut it came in on us. I counted strikes from lightning with in a mile of us, and it poured like some one was out there with a hose or something. This is something I have only experienced in the PNW and Alaska, but never like this in the Uinta's. Dawn broke and the storm had passed by. It was a nice day to explore the basin. We just rolled through meadows and did some fishing, which was not the best this year that is for sure. After a long excursion, we got back to camp and made dinner. Crystal clear this evening, with the stars out bright. Upon waking up Sunday morning to more rain, and it being totally sopped in, even hailing on us for a brief time, we decided to get things packed up and get out of there. I swear that Weir Lake must be a charm for us, for the storm cleared up and we had the sun all the way out. It was a pretty good time, minus one of the worst storms on Friday that I have ever encountered out in the Uinta.
    Last edited by Dr. Nebz; 12-23-2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Leaving

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice pics. I've been wanting to do this BP the last few years.

Sounds like a great trip! Just curious, what weekend was this?

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Sounds like a great trip! Just curious, what weekend was this?
    This was July 9th - 11th this year. I would have been better if the weather was not so sporadic. But still great to be out there.

Yeah, I had a trip planned up there the same weekend but my friends were afraid of the weather so we ended up hitting the mountains outside of Logan. Gotta love the sporadic weather up there though, that's one place I never skimp on a comfortable tent.

Excellent report!