Thread: Boundary/Kolob/Narrows beta/advice

Boundary/Kolob/Narrows beta/advice

Thinking of doing Boundary down to Kolob and bypassing the MIA exit and making it a two day jaunt through the rest of Kolob and out the Narrows.

Few questions...

Water levels/temps in Boundary - wetsuits required? Anything crazy to be worried about? I've done the canyon in the fall when it was dry - but I know water can make it a different beast all together.

If Kolob reservoir is releasing water (I am sure they'll give me the usual 15cfs line of baloney). Is there anything to worry about in Kolob below Boundary and the MIA turnoff as far as raging currents or unswimmable holes?

Camping opportunities for a group of 4 in Kolob. Suitable places? Do we need a permit if we stay above the intersection w/ the Narrows?

Thanks all!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdiy View Post
    Thinking of doing Boundary down to Kolob and bypassing the MIA exit and making it a two day jaunt through the rest of Kolob and out the Narrows.

Few questions...

Water levels/temps in Boundary - wetsuits required? Anything crazy to be worried about? I've done the canyon in the fall when it was dry - but I know water can make it a different beast all together.

If Kolob reservoir is releasing water (I am sure they'll give me the usual 15cfs line of baloney). Is there anything to worry about in Kolob below Boundary and the MIA turnoff as far as raging currents or unswimmable holes?

Camping opportunities for a group of 4 in Kolob. Suitable places? Do we need a permit if we stay above the intersection w/ the Narrows?

Thanks all!
    I checked up at the dam a few days ago (the 16th, actually) and measured the flow at a sluice just below the dam, and calculated a flow of 14 cfs (+/- 3). So yes, I do think they are releasing 15 cfs, and it is not a line of baloney.

I think Boundary is still flowing, but who knows? Well, Courtney is heading down there (up there?) this weekend, so maybe we will know by next week. Even if the flow is zero, you might want to bring wetsuits for the Kolob portion. There are a few swimming obstacles in there - one between Boundary and MIA and two (as I remember) between MIA and the Narrows. Obviously, you will need to dry bag 100%. But... could see it either way. Your wetsuit makes a pretty good sleeping pad... The amount of water, in a big canyon like Kolob (below the rappels) is "small". Might not make it all the way to the Narrows, even. There are two (?) little downclimbs as I recall that could be troublesome. I think wearing wetsuits might make it faster, but then again, might be better to not have the weight, and have the packs all bagged up and people ready to plunge in and get wet.

You will find numerous camping possibilities I think, as long as you are not too picky. I would bring bug repellent. Unlikely to make it all the way to the Narrows to camp - and this would complicate your permit issues. Yes, you need a permit to camp in the Park, and to be in the Narrows above Big Spring.

Tom

Few questions...

Thanks all!
    We just did Boundary and exited MIA on Sunday. It was simply awesome! This canyon should not be missed when it's flowing.

Water level/temps in Boundary: We estimated the flow in Boundary at 2-3 cfs. We both wore farmer john wetsuits and were comfortable. You could probably get away with a shorty, but I wouldn't go sans wetsuit. It took us 1 hour in the tech section and you are in the water the entire time. There is nothing technical to worry about if you have some class C experience.

Kolob IS releasing 15 cfs right now. There are no concerns in Kolob between Boundary and MIA except you will be very slow negotiating down stream. It took us 1:10 to move between Boundary and MIA (usually takes us 40 min). There is one swimmer, perhaps two if you don't like scrambling on the sides. They aren't very long...maybe 15-20 feet.

Hope this helps,

M

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Yes, you need a permit to camp in the Park, and to be in the Narrows above Big Spring.

Tom
    Do we just ask for a backcountry camping permit for Kolob Canyon when picking up our Narrows day use permit (which are luckily available for the day we would actually be in the Narrows)? Or just a general camping permit?

Thank you for all the replies.

Thats one hell of a hike... its long and tough. As Tom said there are a few swims AFTER the MIA exit. And the hiking is very very slow as you are boulder hopping most of the hike out past MIA exit. Camp spots are slim to none for 4 people. I would suggest getting a really early start. Awsome hike though~ I'm in decent shape and the hike pooped me out.
    . . .

Did you do it in a single full day? I was figuring with an early start on Saturday we could get to some place in Kolob suitable for a bivy that night. We wouldn't be too picky on spots. As long as there is a flat enough spot for sleeping. Early start Sunday to finish the hike...

Do we just ask for a backcountry camping permit for Kolob Canyon when picking up our Narrows day use permit (which are luckily available for the day we would actually be in the Narrows)? Or just a general camping permit?

Thank you for all the replies.
    You tell em what you are doing, and they write the appropriate permit.

Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. You might want to RESERVE a Narrows day hiking permit and roll that in, which shows to the desk person some savvy. You camping up at Lava Point in order to get an early start (a good idea), or getting an early shuttle up to West Rim Trailhead (also a good idea, but not necessarily as good). I don't think it is THAT far, but... Hiking poles would be a good idea, especially if you can pull apart and put them INSIDE your pack for the rappelling part.

Back to permits: however, sometimes you get a person at the desk who really has no idea, in which case you need to either call in someone who does (which would be Brad or Annette (and there are a few more)). So, it helps not to stroll in at 5 minutes to 8pm to score your permit.

Tom

Did you do it in a single full day? I was figuring with an early start on Saturday we could get to some place in Kolob suitable for a bivy that night. We wouldn't be too picky on spots. As long as there is a flat enough spot for sleeping. Early start Sunday to finish the hike...
    I don't think it is excessively long for two days. With BDC, we got a latish start in Kolob, and bivied before the MIA exit, and walked out the Narrows the next day. Yeah, it took all day.

T

Thanks Tom - That is what I was thinking - Narrows dayuse permit has already been reserved!.

We'll shuttle ourselves to the West Rim in the morning. We will not be to Zion early enough the night before to get our permit, so we'll have to do it first thing in the morning and shuttle up to the trailhead then. I canyoneer safely, but I sure as heck don't drive that way. We'll make quick work out of the car shuttle! (kidding, of course)

Plus. camp spots are more abundant closer to town than up near Lava Point if memory serves.

Thanks Tom - That is what I was thinking - Narrows dayuse permit has already been reserved!.

We'll shuttle ourselves to the West Rim in the morning. We will not be to Zion early enough the night before to get our permit, so we'll have to do it first thing in the morning and shuttle up to the trailhead then. I canyoneer safely, but I sure as heck don't drive that way. We'll make quick work out of the car shuttle! (kidding, of course)

Plus. camp spots are more abundant closer to town than up near Lava Point if memory serves.
    CAN get your permit at the Kolob Canyons VC, if you can get there by 7 pm (a guess, better to call and find out). There is a campground at Lava Point. Often full this time of year, CAN sometimes share a site with someone there.

Yeah, getting your permit in town and then heading up to the trailhead is called a not-early start, but as I said, not so long for two days.

T

I've done both Kolob and Oak as a two day backpack exiting the Narrows. I prefer the through route to the MIA exit, it's a great adventure and we never had problems with time. Here are a few notes you might find helpful:

From the MIA exit to Temple of Sinawava requires one 15-foot rappel and a cold 30-foot swim. It requires approximately 3 hours to reach the Virgin River from the MIA Exit.

Zion Narrows campsite #6 is located where Kolob Creek meets the Zion Narrows. Any campsite #6 through #12 is downstream and in the direction you need to go. Campsites #2, #3, #4 and #5 are located a short distance up river at 5 minute intervals. You must register for a campsite when you pick up your backcountry permit. Any campsite #2 through #12 will meet your needs.

On a good day, which means clear water and low stream flow (less than 50 cfs), it will require 4 hours of hiking down the Virgin River from the Kolob confluence to reach the Temple of the Sinawava. This time estimate goes up exponentially with high and/or muddy river water.

This picture is at a minor downclimb in Lower Kolob if I remember correctly

Can't say anything about the canyon, but I was just through the Narrows Monday, and Kolob was flowing at the confluence. Water seemed a little murkier than I remember it being, but that might just be because the Virgin was clearer than I've ever seen it.

Name:  kolobcreek..jpg
Views: 481
Size:  158.4 KB

Thank you - those are all very helpful. Downclimbs shouldn't be an issue - I can always set up a meat anchor for anyone not wanting to DC free. I think we are aiming to bivy in Kolob as to not deal w/ Narrows camping permits - especially on a Saturday night, but perhaps that is not a bad idea. If sites are available in the Narrows...why not!

Jeremy - Did you notice mosquitoes being active or particularly bad in the area of Kolob/North Fork?

That is one long hike. Yes doable in two days but long none the less. I did it several years ago as a full Kolob meal deal. Problem was we took way to long in the tecnical section the first day so we had a super long second day. Fun hike but I am pretty sure I will do the MIA exit from now on.
    Life is Good

Courtney reports Boundary is still flowing, still fantastic. MIA exit still sucks.

Tom

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by bshwakr View Post
    I must have missed him yesterday. Yes, very nice still. I would put it at about 2cfs.

As for Kolob...doesn't look like 15 cfs; not at the bottom of Boundary nor at the culvert by the lava falls. It looks like a lot more to me.
    I agree, a lot of volume coming out the bottom of the dam(good place to eyball the flow) and under the bridge. (7-25-10)
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Water in Boundary: Flowing enough to make it splashy and fun. No real current to speak of. Just two idiots who we allowed to rap on our rope who tried to rap with the pull cord side through her rap device - which would have gotten her pretty stuck once she reached the knot (placed over the edge for a good pull) and then got our pull cord entangled with the rope as she rapped over and under the pull cord several times. Her partner was asked to fix this on his rap
    , but he only made it worse and then decided after a minute of trying to untangle it the heck with it and came down to the bottom leaving us with a stuck rope. Great etiquette. Guess that's what you get for allowing others to "play through". If you ever run into a father/daughter team from St. George who looks dumbfounded when you use the words "pull side" and "rap line"....run the other way!!!

Water in Kolob from Boundary to MIA: A good amount of water. Nothing dangerous, but kept the pace slow. It took us almost two hours to walk what should have taken an hour. Never more than thigh deep though.

We opted to take the MIA out as opposed to spending the night and walking the remainder of Kolob plus the Narrows the next day. As Tom eloquently stated: It still sucks. One of our partner's quotes..."This isn't a trail, it's just a pile of sticks!!!"

RE: An FYI on Permits. We reserved a Narrows permit for Sunday. Plan was to do Boundary and most of Kolob Saturday and walk the Narrows on Sunday. The Park refused to issue us a permit to camp Saturday night in Lower Kolob. When the flow is higher than the 5 cfs as required for the technical section of Kolob they consider the entire canyon closed. It seemed they didn't even want us doing Boundary to the MIA, but since it is entirely outside the park it isn't their jurisdiction. However, staying in Kolob below the MIA once it crosses the park boundary they would not issue us a permit for and would have been illegal.

Thanks Nick.

Tom