Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Five Ten Canyoneers. What size to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    That way madness lies...
    Soon enough you will all be drinking the kool-aid....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Each time I have rented from Zacs I have ended up in a different size shoe. It is why I have not bought a pair because unless I can sit down and try them on I have serious reservations as to whether they will fit. But next time in Zion I am going to just bite the bullet and buy a pair at Zac's.

My buddy bought some savants and we were not impressed after our trip to the North Wash. They had started to come apart in a couple of places. I just had on a pair of $60 Merrill low ankle hiking shoes and they still looked new? So who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Did you rent them at ZAC? We do not use 5.10's sizing because it is so screwy.

Tom
    Maybe that's why I was confused. I went to ZAC and told them that I wanted a 12, and they gave me a shoe that worked. I bought this one thinking that the shoe I rented last year was the same. Screwy.

I sold my too small 5.10 Canyoneers. (To someone who gave me a VERY good price. I've never had anyone offer more than I was asking, and stay firm. What a surprise. Thanks! I hope they are a good deal for you, too.)

Now that I don't have the Canyoneers, I'm thinking about going to the 5.10 Savant. I don't want to go with the La Sportiva because of my wide hobbit feet.

I've talked to one person who says Savants run more normal, or true to size. But I had someone tell me the same on Canyoneers... and my feet still hurt because of it.

Anyone else have an opinion? I wish I lived somewhere where I could try a pair on in the store. Maybe someone does carry them down here. Bo?

i like the savant quite well, but the uppers wear out fast in the skinnies. for a place like zion however, i think they'd work great.

i'd probably reinforce the uppers with some aquaseal before i started wearing them next time, so they won't get whole on the toes.

FYI, I run the exum ridge pro's, I LOVE the shoe, But I have maybe 100-120 miles on them and the uppers are showing significant wear, Im unsure of the 5:10's but might have to give them a try. Jeff (p40hwk) loves the savants, and they worked well for him on our hikes.
    I need a Canyoneering partner! I have a open schedule, all my own gear and am looking to go as much as possible..PM me!

Yep, after trying 5 different pairs of the canyoneer's and none of them fitting correctly I ended up buying the Savant's. I wear a 10-1/2 D width for my every day shoes and the Savant's fit me right out of the box at that size. They drain well and have the exact same sole as the canyoneers.

I have worn them with regular socks and with Neosocks and they work great in the wet sandy canyons with the neosock. It took me about 10 miles of hiking in them to break them in (2 short hikes) but they are extremely comfortable.

If you have a wide or narrow foot, I would order two pair in the sizes you think will fit from Zappo's and send the pair that doesn't fit back. With their free shipping both ways and great return policy you'll get the right size and won't have the headache that you would from some other place.
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

p40whk, thanks. That's what I was looking for. Unfortunately, Zappos is out of my size, or I'd already have a pair. I would order from 5.10, but they charge shipping... and they are back ordered.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll just order size 13 Canyoneer 2's.

i looked as well, and it seems every where is out of the savants. wonder if it is discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    i looked as well, and it seems every where is out of the savants. wonder if it is discontinued?
    I had my canyoneers on back order from a local shop for 3 months and they sent the wrong size. Took another month to get 2 more pair in different sizes to try. After my frustration with the canyoneer's not fitting, I ordered the savant's and they were backordered for 2 months. I kept searching online for months hoping I would find my size and all of the sudden Rock/Creek had them in stock. They still have a few sizes here: http://www.rockcreek.com/five-ten/sa...RCO_googlebase

I had a long conversation with my local shop because of my frustration with 5.10 and they had nothing good to say about them as a company. From what they told me, they're always running out of stock, they're difficult to deal with and their return policy sucks. It's a shame that an American company can have such great shoes and such a bad reputation with their retailers.

The shoes being out of stock is common, keep searching and if you have time before you need them I'd wait till your size shows up.

To be completely honest; the canyoneers are ugly shoes that I wouldn't wear any place other than a canyon but the Savant's are good looking enough to wear just about anywhere you would wear a tennis shoe and perform just as well.
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

interesting about 5.10. they are a small family run company i think, which explains why they still operate like a small business. for better or worse i suppose.

the last time i picked savants was at ZAC, though they no longer sell them either. nabbed two pair for $60 a piece. unfortunately, last fall, my savants died in capitol reef. ended up wrapping duct tape around the whole shoe to keep it together.

other guys i know are still definitely using them though. gotta find out where they are getting them i suppose.

FWIW: 5.10 has awesome customer service and has always done good by me whenever I've had a problem with their shoe. And I've had problems with them.... rubber delaminating, buckles popping off.... anyhoo... that has been my experiance. YMMV...

My experience with 5.10 customer service was this:

I complained about my shoes and I got a prompt email from Jon in customer service saying "I have forwarded your email along to our returns/warranty department to see what they can do for ya! Please email me back if you do not hear from Nathan in warranty and I will personally bring your email to his attention."

And then... NOTHING.

I emailed Jon 5 times and he never replied, and never heard anything from Nathan. So, I have no faith in their warranty or customer service department.

If you can't help me, don't tell me that you might. Don't ignore my emails. Just be honest.

I'll buy 5.10's again, but not directly from them. After shipping charges are accounted for, Zappos.com is about as cheap and easier to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    My buddy bought some savants and we were not impressed after our trip to the North Wash. They had started to come apart in a couple of places. I just had on a pair of $60 Merrill low ankle hiking shoes and they still looked new? So who knows.
    Had to laugh. My buddy completely devastated a pair of La Sportiva Boulder X shoes after just one day in the North Wash. He was so proud of the deal he got just days earlier at REI, and bragged about how much cheaper they were than the Canyoneers. On day two the sole was 90% detached and he used super glue and duct tape to get through the trip. This was a true test of REI's absolute return policy, as these things were sooo trashed!

I have also found 5.10's sizing to be wacky. I ALWAYS wear a 12 and bought the Savants in a 12 as a dry canyon shoe. They seemed to fit well but after one day in North Wash they were wearing my pinky toes raw. Kudos to Zappos for accepting the return after some wear. My Canyoneers are a size 13 thanks to ZAC trading me for the 12's I bought and realizing these were too small for neoprene. They absolutely suck for hiking, wearing a big sore above my heel every time, but I would not use anything else for the North Wash or wet canyons. They are just so damned tough and durable. If you are gonna do a lot of canyons I think you need the Canyoneers at a size larger than normal and a pair of less aggressive 5-10's in a half size larger for less demanding canyons and longer hikes.

Shoes are one of the things I tend to collect, as I love having the perfect shoe for any endeavor. Zappos truly rules if you are unsure of your sizing. I have ordered shoes at 10pm and they were on my door by 10am the next morning, no shipping charge. Unbelievable. Some conveniences are well worth a little more money.
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru View Post
    I just don't do enough canyons to justify spending 120 bucks on such a spesific shoe.
    Yet your screen name is canyonguru?
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Big-Feet Dave has an article on Canyoneers for the large-footed: http://zionadventures.com/ZBlog/

Scroll down a bit.

Tom

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    As stated, 5.10 is a small company. On most models, it does 1 or 2 production runs a year, so if a model does really well, they cannot make more until 6 months later. I don't know, but everyone being out could quite possibly mean that it has sold through well, and will be available again some time in the future.

Tom