Thread: Boy Scout Leader Canyoneering Course, July 23-24

Boy Scout Leader Canyoneering Course, July 23-24

Friday-Saturday, July 23-24
    Cedar City, Utah
    Instructor: Rich Carlson

This course will meet and exceed the climbing/rappelling training required for "Climb On Safely".

Short notice, I know. Something else I had on my calendar was canceled. If you are able to make it your reward will be a half-price two-day course.

Register at:
    http://www.meetup.com/ACA-Canyoneeri...endar/14151094
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Dang. Too many family commitments on the 24th. I am wondering how may scout guys you will get on that holiday? Looks like a great course, Rich.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Dang. Too many family commitments on the 24th. I am wondering how may scout guys you will get on that holiday? Looks like a great course, Rich.
    Double dang. Didn't occur to me until you mentioned it. I just might have the weekend off after all.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

Bummer....... Not a chance I am getting out of family stuff on the 24th. And when I say not a chance, I am not even close to the 1 in a million chance type thing where there is actually NO chance......

Thanks for doing these though. I am going to do some type of training at some point, I hope....

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcwild View Post
    Double dang. Didn't occur to me until you mentioned it. I just might have the weekend off after all.
    so you'll finally have a chance to go canyoneering?

I wish I could make this but no go on Holiday weekend. I need to get going on the scout qualifying stuff.
    Does this class get you the BSA climbing instructor cert. or just climb on safely? Or are they the same thing? I was a little confused when we all got together in Orem.

Hijack
    Since this thread is in regards to BSA training. I do have a question for the canyoneering/scouting community. How much formal training do you feel a Scout Leader with no prior experience needs to take a group thru Subway?

Hijack Two
    Rich I saw that Jim Clery is now a Pro Member. Is he going to be able to teach the tech classes to be able to qualify with the BSA in Salt Lake Area?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    so you'll finally have a chance to go canyoneering?
    Actually ... several people have registered for the course, so I'm working.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Does this class get you the BSA climbing instructor cert. or just climb on safely? Or are they the same thing? I was a little confused when we all got together in Orem.
    Just got home from a meeting at council in Orem. There are some inconsistencies in the BSA regs. In "Topping Out" there is a reference to a 3-day course for climbing instructors. In "Climb On Safely" there is a reference to a 10-hour course. If you look at the list of "Age-Appropriate Climbing and Rappelling Guidelines" in "Climb On Safely" it seems to clearly exclude activities like canyoneering. I was told I will have some flexibility in writing a council policy, as long as it is not less conservative than national BSA regs.

Hijack
    Since this thread is in regards to BSA training. I do have a question for the canyoneering/scouting community. How much formal training do you feel a Scout Leader with no prior experience needs to take a group thru Subway?
    This question is being discussed in the context of council policies at GSLC and UNPC. Stay tuned.

Hijack Two
    Rich I saw that Jim Clery is now a Pro Member. Is he going to be able to teach the tech classes to be able to qualify with the BSA in Salt Lake Area?
    Jim's guide certification puts him one step closer, but he still needs to teach a course as a lead instructor with a senior instructor looking over his shoulder. That will happen in the very near future. Steve Jackson and Clark Wiscombe are not far behind. They both passed their guide exams and just need WFR to be certified as guides. I anticipate all three will be teaching ACA courses in SLC within the next couple months.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor