Thread: Solo Backpacking into the Stansburys (Deseret Peak and a Cat)

Solo Backpacking into the Stansburys (Deseret Peak and a Cat)

aturday morning just after breakfast I headed up to the Stansburys to hike to Deseret Peak and then over to South Willow Lake to spend the night. The hike was very interesting as I passed at least 3 groups of Boy Scouts panting and complaining, one lone Boy Scout (all he knew was that his troop was ahead of him) that had some serious blisters on his heels that I gave him some duct tape for, and a group of hikers from Wasatch Mountain Club. Once at the summit I texted to my wife that I was there and then moved on after a quick meal of Peanut Butter and granola bars. I continued North and visited some other peaks then dropped down to the trail that heads towards South willow Lake. I set up camp and enjoyed the solitude of the area and the various wildlife. After a few hours of interrupted sleep I woke to rustling and a scream, I quickly turned on my headlamp to see the final take-down of a fawn by a cat no more than 30 feet from me. I lay there with my light trained on the Cat as he finished off the fawn and drug it to some nearby trees and began his feast all the while watching me watch him. As quietly as I could I packed up my pack and worked my way around the lake away from him and headed back to civilization as there was no way I was going back to sleep at this point even though it was 4AM. All in all it was a great trip and very tiring.. here are the pics I got.. and no I don't have pics of the cat

The Visit with the cat looked something like this: Not my photo
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow! I'm nervous about my own upcoming solo backpacking plan and this isn't reassuring. I'm quite sure I would have shat in my sleeping bag if I'd heard & seen that (maybe more likely if I'd heard but not seen what it was 'cause then you've got only your imagination).
    You were sleeping out, no tent? Were you armed? I want to cut pack weight backpacking but will likely end up bringing my handgun just so I can get to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    You were sleeping out, no tent? Were you armed? I want to cut pack weight backpacking but will likely end up bringing my handgun just so I can get to sleep.
    No Tent.. just my Mil Spec Poncho that I also Use as a Tarp when needed (it was under my bag for the night). It was nice to stare up at the stars in-between my bouts of sleeping. I think my pack was about 22lbs with water :).. No armament this time all I had was my pocket knife and a treking pole.
    It took me a good 30 minutes to slowly stuff all of my gear into my pack while I watched that cat eat and glare at me with its red eyes. I would be lying if I said I wasn't just a tad bit scared
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Dang, that's amazing! Very cool. I can see how it would be pretty darn scary, but still - what a rare opportunity to witness something like that!

Do Boy Scouts often leave one lone guy with blisters behind? Are there any rules about that? I would think so, making this an aberration... Uh-oh - not another BSA discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    Dang, that's amazing! Very cool. I can see how it would be pretty darn scary, but still - what a rare opportunity to witness something like that!

Do Boy Scouts often leave one lone guy with blisters behind? Are there any rules about that? I would think so, making this an aberration... Uh-oh - not another BSA discussion.
    after the fact all I could think about was.. How freaking cool was that. I just saw that.. that is cool..

and ya my BSA rant is coming soon to a Thread near you

Quote Originally Posted by TooeleCherokee View Post
    and ya my BSA rant is coming soon to a Thread near you
    Ah, cool, I was about to hyjack the thread responding to Kev but I'll look for a new thread...

And I agree that it would be very cool to see something like that, very cool, but I imagine that in the moment it would have scared the shit out of me.

WOW. That is just incredible.

Great Thread! I have only been backpacking about 6 times. Once to this lake and if i'd known then cats were there i wouldn't have Went LOL Great pics i need to get us there Also=) Do you know any Ekins in Tooele? or Fishers? I'd like to see your backpacking list? 22LBS is pretty good. pack? bag? weights? stove? esentuals? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beachbum222 View Post
    Do you know any Ekins in Tooele? or Fishers? I'd like to see your backpacking list? 22LBS is pretty good. pack? bag? weights? stove? esentuals? thanks
    nope don't know any Elkins or Fishers.. I willl add my packing list to your thread you started :)

Oh and don't stress about the cats.. I have been backpacking for 20 years and have never seen a cat before like this :)

Are there any reported attacks by a cat on a backpacker while sleeping? Seems there are lots on hikers and hunters, but I have never heard of one in a tent or a guy sleeping under the stars. Thinking about it scares the crap out of me. Bears have never bothered me, but this cat story spooks me.

Quote Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
    Are there any reported attacks by a cat on a backpacker while sleeping? Seems there are lots on hikers and hunters, but I have never heard of one in a tent or a guy sleeping under the stars. Thinking about it scares the crap out of me. Bears have never bothered me, but this cat story spooks me.
    Here are some statistics on Mountain Lions.. I would suspect they are similar in numbers http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks.html