Thread: 07/03/2010 - Adams Canyon - Lower Waterfall

Blog Entries

07/03/2010 - Adams Canyon - Lower Waterfall

Where: Adams Canyon (Layton, Utah) - Lower Waterfall
    When: July 3rd, 2010
    Who: Myself, Jeff, and Ian
    Why: It was right after the July 3rd parade and a friend's BBQ & volleyball game, SO...we needed a small physical activity before the evening excitement and party! WHY NOT???!

This is in Layton at the famous Adams Canyon. Most people know about the Upper Falls, which takes nearly 1 1/2 - 2 hours to reach - and along the way, most of those people will pass the lower falls. It takes anywhere from 10-15 minutes to reach it, but unfortunately it's not as high as its bigger brother. We estimate anywhere from 17-20 feet.

So NOTHING FANCY HERE!! LOL. There's a few things why this one is a good time waster. First, semi-easy approach (all switchbacks) and you can reach it within 10 minutes from your car. Second, the waterfall isn't high at all (its pretty pathetic actually) BUT it does pack a punch! There is a lot of water and it's a VERY good location for introductions to Class-C, waterfall rappelling. Third, its a very easy loop - less than 3 minutes to reach the top again. And Fourth, the anchor could not be more perfect. At the very top there is a bush or tree that is within 3 feet of the edge and makes for a center rappel (which makes going to either side very easy if you are tooooo afraid of the full force). And Fifth, last of all, about 5-8 feet is a free-hanging rappel so you get to experience a lot, within a very short drop.

Like I said, earlier, this waterfall is a VERY GOOD location for training. Plus, it has a ampitheater like gorge where hordes or gaggles of spectators can watch and take notes, if they feel so inclined.

Here are the GPS Coords:
    Trailhead: N41
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice! I wanna see pictures from when you do the next waterfall up!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker View Post
    Nice! I wanna see pictures from when you do the next waterfall up!
    It's on the list. Thankfully, there is an easy way to the top of the upper falls. Maybe in a month or so after my Havasupai trip.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

That's another falls I had on my list that I never did do. My wife got me a book of 100 utah waterfalls that we use for finding cascading and ice climbing route. This was in there. Sweet!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jumar View Post
    That's another falls I had on my list that I never did do. My wife got me a book of 100 utah waterfalls that we use for finding cascading and ice climbing route. This was in there. Sweet!
    Thanks Jeff. It's a good training site and a nice 1hr diversion from the hot summer.

Although, next on my list is Waterfall Canyon. Although, I am a bit scared now with that kid rockclimbing who died a few days ago.... :(
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"