Thread: sawtooth range, idaho

sawtooth range, idaho

then 8 days along the eastern front of the sawtooths in idaho. holy sheep shit ! the view of the sawtooths from stanley, id, is incredible !

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/578197740rtPXdO

mt. regan over sawtooth lake

view from alpine peak

relaxing at lake 8271

relaxing at south end of sawtooth lake

heading up to toxaway lake/twin lakes divide from toxaway lake

view from pt. 10052

twin lakes form toxaway/twins divide

middle cramer lake

above cramer lakes looking towards mt. cramer

and then the camera took a dump and refused to play nice. but you get the idea.
    Last edited by goofball; 07-19-2010 at 05:48 PM. Reason: my potty mouth
    signature

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Is the language REALLY appropriate?

Beautiful pictures! I'm really going to have to go check out the Sawtooths sometime, never been there yet they're so close.

And on a side note, Mark Twain once said

I've heard a little bit about the Sawtooth Range, but never really seen much. Beautiful stuff, all right! One of these days... On the list, along with the Wind Rivers, Tetons, etc. etc... Thanks, goofball!

Great TR. Been through the Sawtooth Range on a motorcycle trip. Beautiful country.

Always heard good things about this area, and the pics do it justice. Still on my hit list.

Beautiful! How many total miles? how much food did you have to pack? What was your pack weight? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beachbum222 View Post
    Beautiful! How many total miles? how much food did you have to pack? What was your pack weight? thanks
    not sure how many miles we did. ~8/day ? maybe more some days, less others. this was the first time i did not head in w/ a weeks worth or supplies and stay in, we broke it up into over nighters or 2 nighters w/ a hot spring soaking day in the middle. but for an unbroken week (5-8 days) my pack usually weighs 30# +/-. i now carry the dehydrated backpacking food to simplify cooking and clean up, that makes my pack noticeably heavier. but simple ramen and jerky and some dehydrated fruit and a power bar a day help lighten up. plus sleeping on the ground hurts my body now so i carry a for real pillow and am able to sleep almost like home.
    signature

Quote Originally Posted by goofball View Post
    not sure how many miles we did. ~8/day ? maybe more some days, less others. this was the first time i did not head in w/ a weeks worth or supplies and stay in, we broke it up into over nighters or 2 nighters w/ a hot spring soaking day in the middle. but for an unbroken week (5-8 days) my pack usually weighs 30# +/-. i now carry the dehydrated backpacking food to simplify cooking and clean up, that makes my pack noticeably heavier. but simple ramen and jerky and some dehydrated fruit and a power bar a day help lighten up. plus sleeping on the ground hurts my body now so i carry a for real pillow and am able to sleep almost like home.
    That's something I've never been able to skimp on, is a soft spot for my achy bones and hard head. Always need a pillow and comfy pad. I also do dehydrated food - with my new jetboil stove, it's not bad at all. Relatively light stove and no plates or bowls needed - just a spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by goofball View Post

For short jaunts (Under 5 miles and 1,000 ft or less in elevation gain, I will pack in everything and the kitchen sink. Hell, I was even thinking a Heineken Mini Keg might not be bad one of these days. :-P

But for long hauls (like Red Castle last weekend that was 11 miles and 1,800 elevation gain), I go all dry goods, and ultralight everything. Means I can cover longer distances in a shorter amounts of time. Catching fish was a much appreciated bonus.

Nice trip report. Looks like there were still some slayable spring lines in some of those bowls up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    For short jaunts (Under 5 miles and 1,000 ft or less in elevation gain, I will pack in everything and the kitchen sink. Hell, I was even thinking a Heineken Mini Keg might not be bad one of these days. :-P
    Just for the record, I would really like an invite when this happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    Nice trip report. Looks like there were still some slayable spring lines in some of those bowls up there.
    not a skier myself, but there were plenty of fun glissading ! it took me 30 minutes or more to get up alpine peak, but 5-10 minutes to get down via the glissade route.
    signature

and then the camera took a dump and refused to play nice. but you get the idea.[/QUOTE]

So how's the camera now? Thanks for the photos! I'm sold!

Quote Originally Posted by UintaSolitude View Post
    and then the camera took a dump and refused to play nice. but you get the idea.
    So how's the camera now? Thanks for the photos! I'm sold![/QUOTE]

camera turns out fine, its the lens that gave in. i've only threw it off a cliff, dropped it in a pothole, banged it on a few rocks. cheap p.o.s.
    signature

Sawtooths are one of my favorite places! I did the Toxaway route a couple summers ago. I'm really surprised at how much snow there still was in July! It was a colder June though. The mountain biking is really good there too.

Nice TR! I did a short trip there many years ago with a car shuttle so we could cross from one side to the other.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

shan -

seems like the northern rockies got a late winter this season. montana and wyoming and idaho all got late season, big snow storms from what i heard. i didn't mind, looks pretty and it really levels out the terrain up high. i'd rather crunch along on a flat snow surface than boulder hop thru talus fields.

sawtooths seem like a good place to do a lot of stuff - fish, raft, hunt, 4x4, hike, climb. what an awesome place !

ststephen - i was on the west side of the sawtooths years ago, did the little/big queens river loop. it was fantastic!

signature