Thread: No one's done Pleiades yet?

No one's done Pleiades yet?

No current conditions reports yet? I'm a little disappointed, bogley bigshots! jk. Any info appreciated as I'm going this weekend.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The real tr's are in the big shot section, you should sign up and check them out
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

Blog Entries
    I finally got access to my PC again, and will update the current conditions thread later tonight...sorry it's taken so long. Two weeks is a long time without normal PC access.

Unless....someone wants to donate $80+ to me so I can buy a student version of windows 7?? eh eh?? hint hint. paypal? j/k

Btw, this the latest I got for Pleaides as of 7/03/2010 "moderate flow, wetsuits definitely needed, replaced all webbing, anchors solid, and lots of new plant growth since last year"
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

All the fixed anchors are bomber with large rapides and should last the rest of the season. The first three rappels do not have fixed webbing since we use retrievable methods to keep them clean for visual impact reasons (we do this since hikers can access and/or see the tops of these rappels). The last three rappels have fixed anchors which are not visible to hikers. We replaced all the webbing last week on 7/7, including the deadman at the last rappel. The deadman anchor consists of two independent pieces of webbing to two independent buried boulders with plenty of rocks stacked on top for good measure. The two strands are connected to a rapide at the front of the rock pile. A seperate strand runs from the rapide to the start of the rappel. It's this strand that gets all the abuse as it lays in the waterflow when not being used. After a while (maybe a month or so) it gets worn and filled with sediment since it's right in the flowing water. When it needs replacing you simply remove it from the rapide and replace with a new strand. We tie this strand so that it has two redundant strands where it touches and abrades on the rock during a rappel. The two strands from the deadman typically don't need replacing for the rest of the season since they're out of the water flow. The two other fixed anchors upcanyon are doubled up strands for redundancy with large rapides. Again, the anchors are bomber in there.

The flow is pretty mellow right now, though the flume section on the second to last rappel (Taygeta) is still offering full value to those not used to rappelling in water :)

many thanks, matt, for sharing the information

Matt - I ran into one of your guides in Pleiades on Friday, I think it was Ed. I met him earlier this year on top of the last rap in Granary. I just wanted to tell you that I've talked with the people he's guided through the canyons and they all raved about him. He's been real friendly with me too, even when I was getting a bunch of beginners down that last rappel in Granary. Give the man a raise!
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas