Thread: Three Utahns missing in search for Lost Dutchman mine

Three Utahns missing in search for Lost Dutchman mine

Looks like this one idiot has had SAR called out on him before while getting lost searching for the Lost Dutchman....

[QUOTE]Three Utahns missing in search for Lost Dutchman mine

APACHE JUNCTION, Ariz.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i'm sorry, but if your dumb enough to go out in the middle of nowhere looking for a legendary gold mine that doesn't exist, then you deserve to get lost... It's awful they got lost, but they should be smarter.

maybe they found it and now they are as lost as it is?
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Hah! My thought exactly denaliguide

Seems likely enough that they found it and the booby traps got 'em.

from azcentral.com

The lure of the legendary Lost Dutchman Mine has likely claimed three more lives.
    Curtis Merworth, Malcolm Meeks and Ardean Charles left Salt Lake City on July 6 in search of the fabled lode of gold hidden in the Superstition Mountains east of Apache Junction. Their vehicle was found at a trailhead July 11, but an exhaustive search for the men has, so far, turned up empty.

It was the third time Merworth had come to the Superstitions looking for treasure. Searchers rescued him from the terrain in May 2009, but the harrowing experience didn't deter him from what family members say had become an obsession.
    Merworth, 48, was "gold crazy," his mother, Carol, said this week from her Salt Lake City home.
    "He was certain he was going to find this mine," she said.
    The pursuit of the Dutchman's mine has been going on for more than a century in "some of the most rugged wilderness areas of the U.S. Forest Service," said George E. Johnston, president emeritus of the Superstition Mountain Museum in Apache Junction.
    "It's hard to separate the legend and the lore from the lies and the BS and everything else about it," he said. "But there's enough to it to encourage people that have been interested in it to go after that gold. For almost 120 years now, they've been looking for it."
    The story goes that during the mid-1800s, the Peralta family of Mexico operated several mining claims, including a fabulously rich gold mine in the Superstitions. An expedition returning gold ore to Mexico City was attacked by Apaches.
    Only one member of the Peralta expedition survived the attack. Decades later, he revealed the location of the richest of the family's mines to Jacob Waltz, who has come to be immortalized as the Dutchman.
    The story is based on some nuggets of truth. Jacob Waltz was born in 1808 in Germany, and he came to the United States in 1846. He worked as a miner in North Carolina and Georgia and later in the Arizona Territory. In 1868, he homesteaded 160 acres near the Salt River in what is now the East Valley. Waltz died a pauper in 1891.
    Legend has it that, on his deathbed, Waltz told his three caretakers about the mine he discovered in the Superstitions and where they could find it. The mine, he said, had enough gold to make millionaires out of 20 men. Beneath his bed was a wooden candle box with pieces of rich gold ore.
    The trio spent the rest of their lives searching for the gold based on Waltz's clues. One of the caretakers, Julia Thomas, made a living off drawing and selling maps to the treasure, Johnston said.
    The lure of the gold, the greed, he said, continues to draw treasure seekers from all over the world to the Superstitions. Weekly, he fields questions by phone and from visitors who want to know where they can find the bounty.
    And then there are those who are drawn by a sense of adventure, said Phillip Reinhardt, an outdoorsman and member of the board of directors of the Superstition Mountain Historical Society.
    "People that haven't been there can't even imagine what it's like when you get in there. It's a step back in time, and it carries a physical sensation - especially the first night where you have to roll out your bag."
    Reinhardt and others believe Merworth, Meeks, and Charles could not have survived for more than a few days in the mountains without provisions, but the search-and-rescue mission continues.
    The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office "dramatically scaled back" its search Friday, taking horses and search dogs out of the terrain and reducing the number of volunteers on the ground.
    Sgt. Jesse Spurgin said helicopters continue to search, as they have since Sunday. An airplane with thermal-detection capabilities joined the hunt Thursday, Spurgin said.
    Merworth's daughter, Roseanne, 27, said her father had been hunting for treasure since she was a child.
    "It's just a fantasy of his," she said. "When I was younger, he was always going up and looking for gold in the rivers. It was just something he liked to do."
    His fantasy had been focused on the Dutchman's treasure for the past three years, according to Carol Merworth.
    She said her son persuaded her roommate, Charles, 67, to go along. The third man, Meeks, 52, was one of Curtis' neighbors.
    Carol said the family warned Curtis, but he was confident he could find the treasure - recklessly so. He refused to bring his cellphone, she said, the very item he used to call for help when he got lost more than a year ago.
    "You'd think he'd learn, but he didn't," she said. "My son don't listen to nobody."
    Family members of the missing this week said they continue to hold out hope that their loved ones will be found safe. Those who know the Superstitions wilderness say it's unlikely they're alive.
    "What would be nice is to find them in some cool, wet cave, ripping open bags of gold dust and pouring it over themselves while they're waiting for somebody to come carry them out," Reinhardt said.
    "But the truth of the matter is that they were amateurs, and they went into the mountains at the hottest time of the year with nowhere near enough water, and they died."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...#ixzz0u8BeFlAo

"But the truth of the matter is that they were amateurs, and they went into the mountains at the hottest time of the year with nowhere near enough water, and they died."
    Pretty blunt but you'd think the guy would have learned after being rescued once already. Dumb. Too bad.

3 hikers on treasure hunt in Superstitions feared dead
    by Lindsey Collom - Jul. 17, 2010
    The Arizona Republic

The lure of the legendary Lost Dutchman Mine has likely claimed three more lives.

Curtis Merworth, Malcolm Meeks and Ardean Charles left Salt Lake City on July 6 in search of the fabled lode of gold hidden in the Superstition Mountains east of Apache Junction. Their vehicle was found at a trailhead July 11, but an exhaustive search for the men has, so far, turned up empty.

It was the third time Merworth had come to the Superstitions looking for treasure. Searchers rescued him from the terrain in May 2009, but the harrowing experience didn't deter him from what family members say had become an obsession.

Merworth, 48, was "gold crazy," his mother, Carol, said this week from her Salt Lake City home.

"He was certain he was going to find this mine," she said.

The pursuit of the Dutchman's mine has been going on for more than a century in "some of the most rugged wilderness areas of the U.S. Forest Service," said George E. Johnston, president emeritus of the Superstition Mountain Museum in Apache Junction.

"It's hard to separate the legend and the lore from the lies and the BS and everything else about it," he said. "But there's enough to it to encourage people that have been interested in it to go after that gold. For almost 120 years now, they've been looking for it."

The story goes that during the mid-1800s, the Peralta family of Mexico operated several mining claims, including a fabulously rich gold mine in the Superstitions. An expedition returning gold ore to Mexico City was attacked by Apaches.

Only one member of the Peralta expedition survived the attack. Decades later, he revealed the location of the richest of the family's mines to Jacob Waltz, who has come to be immortalized as the Dutchman.

The story is based on some nuggets of truth. Jacob Waltz was born in 1808 in Germany, and he came to the United States in 1846. He worked as a miner in North Carolina and Georgia and later in the Arizona Territory. In 1868, he homesteaded 160 acres near the Salt River in what is now the East Valley. Waltz died a pauper in 1891.

Legend has it that, on his deathbed, Waltz told his three caretakers about the mine he discovered in the Superstitions and where they could find it. The mine, he said, had enough gold to make millionaires out of 20 men. Beneath his bed was a wooden candle box with pieces of rich gold ore.

The trio spent the rest of their lives searching for the gold based on Waltz's clues. One of the caretakers, Julia Thomas, made a living off drawing and selling maps to the treasure, Johnston said.

The lure of the gold, the greed, he said, continues to draw treasure seekers from all over the world to the Superstitions. Weekly, he fields questions by phone and from visitors who want to know where they can find the bounty.

And then there are those who are drawn by a sense of adventure, said Phillip Reinhardt, an outdoorsman and member of the board of directors of the Superstition Mountain Historical Society.

"People that haven't been there can't even imagine what it's like when you get in there. It's a step back in time, and it carries a physical sensation - especially the first night where you have to roll out your bag."

Reinhardt and others believe Merworth, Meeks, and Charles could not have survived for more than a few days in the mountains without provisions, but the search-and-rescue mission continues.

The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office "dramatically scaled back" its search Friday, taking horses and search dogs out of the terrain and reducing the number of volunteers on the ground.

Sgt. Jesse Spurgin said helicopters continue to search, as they have since Sunday. An airplane with thermal-detection capabilities joined the hunt Thursday, Spurgin said.

Merworth's daughter, Roseanne, 27, said her father had been hunting for treasure since she was a child.

His fantasy had been focused on the Dutchman's treasure for the past three years, according to Carol Merworth.

She said her son persuaded her roommate, Charles, 67, to go along. The third man, Meeks, 52, was one of Curtis' neighbors.

Carol said the family warned Curtis, but he was confident he could find the treasure - recklessly so. He refused to bring his cellphone, she said, the very item he used to call for help when he got lost more than a year ago.

"You'd think he'd learn, but he didn't," she said. "My son don't listen to nobody."

Family members of the missing this week said they continue to hold out hope that their loved ones will be found safe. Those who know the Superstitions wilderness say it's unlikely they're alive.

"What would be nice is to find them in some cool, wet cave, ripping open bags of gold dust and pouring it over themselves while they're waiting for somebody to come carry them out," Reinhardt said.

Too late shane, it's a re-post. Pretty much (word for word) the same story erial posted above.

Blog Entries
    Looks like they have found all three bodies now....(a bit old news, as this was published at 3:30pm MST)

Unfortunate for the families...but glad they can get closure.

I wonder where the location of their bodies were in proximity to their cars...

Update: Wow, I guess the news that the first two were found on the 01/12/2010. I should pay more attention to the news...geez.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

That place has something strange going on in it. I found this to be an interesting read about the Superstition Mountains:

http://www.prairieghosts.com/dutchman.html

Probably not on my "to do" list for sure. Seems a lot of the deaths involved the head being missing from the body, and many of them with a bullet hole in the skull.

Sounds like a fun hiking trip.

Bogley Hiking Trip at Superstitious Mountain anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Sounds like a fun hiking trip.

Bogley Hiking Trip at Superstitious Mountain anybody?
    From the history of that place, might want to have your will in order before you go, just sayin...........