Thread: Pittsburg Lake

Pittsburg Lake

This was my second attempt to make it to Pittsburg Lake. A few years ago, I tried to get to the trail head in my Honda Accord and had to turn around. This time with the 4runner, I made it. It wasn't easy though. To find it, you need to go up the North Fork Road, in American Fork Canyon. The North Fork Road begins where you turn off to the north to get to Tibble Fork. Just take the road that goes past straight past the east end of Tibble Fork Reservoir--that's still the North Fork Road. The other road (that splits off to the left) goes up to Granite Flat Campground and on to Silver Flat Lake and beyond. Continue on this road for 6.3 miles. At this point the road looks kind of washed out and the main fork which continues on up into Mineral Basin is very rocky, solid rocks in fact. Go right across the stream and you will find the parking area for the trailhead. If you've found the correct parking lot, there will be a sign that says "Pittsburg Lake Trail Head" and has a map tacked to it.

The trail begins leisurely, although there are about 8 trees across the trail that you have to step over. Shortly after this, the trail becomes steep and rocky--I'd say about 3/4 to 1 mile of this kind of trail. It is a tough hike, especially if you are carrying a full-sized backpack, but it's mercifully only 1.5 miles from beginning to end.
    The last 1/2 mile becomes less rocky and steep the closer you get to the lake.

If you hang a left at the lake and go around it a ways, you'll find an old miner's cabin and a foundation of some sort. If you get close to the lake you will see fish swimming near the shore, and see them hitting the surface out in the middle. I regret not bringing my fishing stuff along with me.

The hike from the bottom to the top took me, a 51 year old guy, a little over an hour. The way down took about 45 minutes. The scenery of the nearby peaks (you can look over at Mineral Basin and up at the surrounding mountains) is superb, but there is not much shade along the trail, so start early in the day. It took me a long time to drive up the dirt road, maybe 1.5 hours as it is very rocky and care needs to be taken not to put a sharp rock through your tires.
    Attached Images Attached Images              

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice work. I've seen it from the top of Devil's Castle and wondered how difficult it would be to get to.

Yeah nice report. I am putting this one on the list. Fishing pole, check.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Yeah nice report. I am putting this one on the list. Fishing pole, check.
    Yeah, make sure you bring your gear--I saw plenty of them just cruising the shoreline.

Very nice, been in the area around 2001.

Looks like a somewhat stunted brookie...

The old cabin looks pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
    Very nice, been in the area around 2001.
    Was the trail still a jeep road back then? I wonder how long ago it was that they closed it off to vehicles, as it looks completely overgrown now with only very few spots where it still looks like double track. Actually parts of me are at war with each other over that one--the four-wheeling part would love the challenge of driving up a road like that--but the conservationist in me is glad that they closed off a road that drove right up to the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker View Post
    Looks like a somewhat stunted brookie...
    Probably just the way the photo turned out. The fish looked perfectly normal, but I've got a lame camera that waits 5-8 seconds once I press the button to actually take the shot--so sometimes I get some pretty different photos from what I started to take at the beginning of the shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    Was the trail still a jeep road back then? I wonder how long ago it was that they closed it off to vehicles, as it looks completely overgrown now with only very few spots where it still looks like double track. Actually parts of me are at war with each other over that one--the four-wheeling part would love the challenge of driving up a road like that--but the conservationist in me is glad that they closed off a road that drove right up to the lake.
    Yup. I remember alot of hiking on a road.

Somewhere outdoors, where you wish you were
    All trails/roads east of the river are closed to mechanized vehicles. It's been that way for a lot of years now. I have made the drive up to Mineral Basin several times in my Tacoma and once in my wife's Xterra. It's definitely a worth while trip. Just be sure you have a locker in the rear and at least 31" A/T tires.

After reading this post I believe I have my next overnighter for my scouts. Thanks!

Kevin