Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping bag question

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Yes...but that bag has one of the neck dividers. Other bags just have the divider on the top. But on the bottom...that's just uncomfortable (in my testing that is).
    Well, I haven't slept in one with a full neck muff yet, but considering that I always use a pillow, so my head is raised anyway, and I want to be warm at -15C or so, I'm looking forward to having it!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I went with the Kelty Lightyear 0 degree. Heading on a 3 day tip tonight, we will see how it does.

Thanks for all of the feedback.

0 degree? Toasty!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrack79 View Post
    I went with the Kelty Lightyear 0 degree. Heading on a 3 day tip tonight, we will see how it does.

Thanks for all of the feedback.
    You might be a bit warm with a 0, but it it does you can use the zipper on the feet and stretch out more and ventilate.

I bought one last week and have used it once. Much better, in all aspects, compared to my synthetic North Face.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Just curious, does anyone here know of any big man sleeping bags that are down that are not made by Big Agnes? I have a Big Agnes Lost Ranger but I've lost the love for being locked onto my pad. I also have The North Face Mammoth 20 and Goliath 0 which are nice and roomy for me but they're synthetic, and heavy. I would love to find a down bag in the 25-35 degree range that is roomy like that. I'm 6'4 and about 270 and most regular long bags I've tried on won't fit around my shoulders/chest very well. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Western Mountaineering down bags. Expensive, but great bags.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Just curious, does anyone here know of any big man sleeping bags that are down that are not made by Big Agnes? I have a Big Agnes Lost Ranger but I've lost the love for being locked onto my pad. I also have The North Face Mammoth 20 and Goliath 0 which are nice and roomy for me but they're synthetic, and heavy. I would love to find a down bag in the 25-35 degree range that is roomy like that. I'm 6'4 and about 270 and most regular long bags I've tried on won't fit around my shoulders/chest very well. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.
    X2 on WM Bags. I stock the WM Bags here at The Rat. Badger or Ponderosa at 15F. are "girthy" then you go to the Kodiak or Bristlecone 0F. for the "girthiest" in that Temp. Range. You can also go to Gore Windstopper rather than the microfibre in both the Badger and Kodiak. If you want super insulating then the Bison GWS at -40F has a 64" girth. Yep they are PRICEY, but well worth every penny.

Wow! I think I'm in love! Those Western Mountaineering bags look perfect, like I had designed them myself. I'm happy to pay a steep price for a bag that fits the bill. Bo Beck, if you ever have a sale on those, let me know! I may wait as late as next spring to invest but I'm definitely picking one of those up. The Alder or maybe the Ponderosa... hard to decide if I really need a 15 or a 25.

Couple of other options:

http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bags/BagsWideSeries.html

Have a couple of FF bags that were custom cut as wider for me (sleeping with boots and water bottles, etc). Great stuff.

Speakin' of Canada:

http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=720&CFID=7378347&CFTOKEN=430 05992

I have an ID Renaissance (20F bag) that I really like. Comfy, synthetic, roomy...and does pack up well. A compression stuff sack makes it easy.

My ultra light down bag is a Marmot Atom (40F). Uber sweet. Weighs around a pound and packs down to the size of a water bottle.

X3 on Western Mountaineering bags. I have three, and I love them all. One option I like is to use a silk sleeping bag liner (one of those cocoon things) to sleep in, with the bag unzipped on top, like a blanket. Pretty cushy.
    Deb

I just bought a Lafuma 40 degree mummy from Rec outlet for $69 bucks it weights 1LB 6oz 600 down. i'll post here what i think after i use it? So far im pretty excited as i shaved almost 4lb off my pack weight. i have a shattered knavicular that needed a fusion and 2 torn ACL's so ultra lightweight is my goal. my 3 day pack is down to 16.4 LB wet and shaving! and its much needed=) I'm concidering trecking pols to assist my weak lower end?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum222 View Post
    I just bought a Lafuma 40 degree mummy from Rec outlet for $69 bucks it weights 1LB 6oz 600 down. i'll post here what i think after i use it? So far im pretty excited as i shaved almost 4lb off my pack weight. i have a shattered knavicular that needed a fusion and 2 torn ACL's so ultra lightweight is my goal. my 3 day pack is down to 16.4 LB wet and shaving! and its much needed=) I'm concidering trecking pols to assist my weak lower end?
    Bum of the Beach:
    ya, poles are very helpful. If you do a search of "trekking poles" or "poles", a recent discussion was just about that very topic.

Sorry about your pain! Light is the smart way to go.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Thanks=) i always thought it would be more to have to study as you hiked. 4 spots vs. 2 feet but i may have to break down. Surprisingly i hike almost pain free its the next day or so im hating it

I've had poles (Black Diamond Syncro Elliptics) for a while, and like them, but I usually use them only on steep descents - partly to ease the pounding on my aging (and injured) knees, and partly to help keep my balance. Sadly, I busted one yesterday on a super steep snow slope - oops!

I'm getting a joint in my left foot fused (1st metatarsal-phalangeal) either this fall or in the new year (depending how my Utah canyoneering trips fit in!)

Yes - let us know how the bag works out for you!

Im not sure how its spelled i need a talus-navicular fusion. im ok if i dont walk a lot on uneven ground or dont backpack but the extra movment makes it hurt. I was told i needed it about 6 years ago and do pretty good all things concidered. You'll be out for a while huh?

Quote Originally Posted by beachbum222 View Post
    Im not sure how its spelled i need a talus-navicular fusion. im ok if i dont walk a lot on uneven ground or dont backpack but the extra movment makes it hurt. I was told i needed it about 6 years ago and do pretty good all things concidered. You'll be out for a while huh?
    Ouch, that sounds pretty rough. Any plans on getting the surgery done?

I've lost almost all the cartilage in my left big toe joint, and it's very stiff and painful. After surgery to fuse it (using a metal piece) I'll be in a walking cast for 8 weeks or so, then 4 weeks until I can really use it. I plan to spend the first week of January canyoneering in southern Utah, so if I can't get the surgery performed by about the 5th of October, I'll put it off until later in January. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    I've had poles (Black Diamond Syncro Elliptics) for a while, and like them, but I usually use them only on steep descents - partly to ease the pounding on my aging (and injured) knees, and partly to help keep my balance. Sadly, I busted one yesterday on a super steep snow slope - oops!

I'm getting a joint in my left foot fused (1st metatarsal-phalangeal) either this fall or in the new year (depending how my Utah canyoneering trips fit in!)

Yes - let us know how the bag works out for you!
    I used the new Lafuma bag over the weekend at Granite falls near jackson WY it's awesome! I've never had a decent bag! I was worried about the romm but plenty of room, warm to 40 like the bag says but no colder! I'd have to add a liner or sleep with more clothes on in colder temps! zips easy from inside, doesn't snag, sinch deal over face works great! Very impressed! Love it!

Love the sleeping bag(Kelty Lightyear 0 Degree). It was great width wise, but if you are over 6'1 then I would go with the long. I am that tall and I purchased the regular and it was just long enough.

I have used it many times now both when it has been warm and below freezing. When it is cold it keeps you cozy warm, and when it is warm you can just unzip and hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Just curious, does anyone here know of any big man sleeping bags that are down that are not made by Big Agnes?
    I'm currently watching for a Mont Bell UL Super Spiral. I'm not big but I toss and turn, especially on the first night. They're cut a bit bigger, stretch a bit more, and they're still just 1 lb. 6 oz. for a regular 30
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

i have a UL Super Spiral #3. cut is very roomy, and of course, stretchy... got mine at the backcountry 20 percent off sale. highly recommended. you could pour a cup of water on it and it wouldn't absorb any of it.

bad weather and down is kind of over-hyped in my experience. the biggest problem with down is not from weather, it is from sustained nights out in cold weather when you sweat, and the moisture condenses in the bag. you won't have any problems in the dry air out here, in my opinion. (i never have in years of using down.) just take the few minutes to take care of your bag each day.

backpackinglight.com has a very good review of pretty much every down bag out there right now, including those for bigger dudes. great read.