Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping bag question

Sleeping bag question

I am looking for a good lightweight affordable rectangular sleeping bag. I need a new lightweight bag and am having trouble finding one that meets the above criteria. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrack79 View Post
    I am looking for a good lightweight affordable rectangular sleeping bag. I need a new lightweight bag and am having trouble finding one that meets the above criteria. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    That's interesting because so was I two days ago. I went to Sportsman (in Riverdale) and REI (off of 3300 S.) and Sportsmans had a much bigger variety and selection that REI. And the exact same bags at REI were cheaper at Sportsmans by over $30.

One that I am highly considering is the Kelty light year down 20(degrees) for about $150. The employee said that the down is warmer, lighter, and compacts better than synthetic, so look for that.

I'm 6'0" and about 190, so the bag fits perfectly for me.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jtrack79 View Post
    Try MEC. The Canadian REI!

For lightweight, I'd recommend one of these:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1278709833758

They sell a number of rectangular (barrel) cut bags, both down and synthetic, in a variety of temperature ratings. Usually a bit cheaper up there. Consider too that prices are in Canadian peso (not as good as it used to be!).

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

I have 2 down bags- 1 mummy, and 1 rectangular. The mummy is way to restrictive. Good decision on looking for a rectangular one.

down is lighter than synthetic (but not by much these days), and will compact smaller. warmth is a toss up between down and the new synthetic bags. a 0 deg bag doesn't know if it's down or not. down when wet sucks, period. if you anticipate using it anywhere it rains a lot you need to be careful. at least synthetic retains some insulating properties when wet. rectangular will be more comfortable but a little heavier than a mummy bag. there are a lot of super lightweight bags out there. mostly in the 100 to 150 range. i have a slumberjacl bag thats rated to 32 deg and it's less than a kilo.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I switched from a mummy bag to an Big Agnes Lost Ranger as it was a combo rectangular/mummy (mostly rectangular). It did add a little weight as it should due to it being wider but it was not a lot. It also cuts some weight by not having down in the bottom. When down compresses it looses all of it's insulation value anyway. It's has a lot of room... I can turn my lower leg sideways in the bag. I LOVE the bag!

Just curious... what is sportsman's return policy?
    Considering REI guaranties all products for life and has a "no questions asked" return policy for members I find it worth the extra money.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Just curious... what is sportsman's return policy?
    Considering REI guaranties all products for life and has a "no questions asked" return policy for members I find it worth the extra money.
    Valid point. Sportsmans is only a 90day refund policy. Unless it's a manufacturer warranty - then it doesn't really matter. But from personal experience, I bought a thermarest from them about 5 years ago and this last year it popped. I took it back and they replaced it for free. I didn't even have a receipt either. But, that could of been just a nice guesture and not warranty or replacement policy...
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

definitely hard to beat rei's return policy.

This is not really what you are looking for but mabey another option to look at. The Pinole by Mountain Hardware. It is pretty light and way inexpensive. I got the long model at Out-n-Back in Orem for about $90. I have never been a mummy bag kind of guy but this bag is pretty spacious and the way the bottom is sewed allows your feet to be in a natural upright position. Very roomy mummy bag. They even let me lay in the bag and try it out in the store!

Here is the link. Looks like REI has them for the same price. http://www.rei.com/product/795996
    The man thong is wrong.

Keep in mind Out-n-back wont stand behind anything.
    You buy it and you keep it for life.

Blog Entries
    Forgot one thing, the light year from Kelty is a rectangular AND had a zipper at the bottom of the bag if you want to stick your feet out too. Very nice! Sportsmans was saying this will be the new "standard" on the next-gen of sleeping bags.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

The Snuggie is rectangular. ish.

I'm claiming that I'm the first person to do Coyote Gulch with Snuggie until proven otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by mhambi View Post
    The Snuggie is rectangular. ish.

I'm claiming that I'm the first person to do Coyote Gulch with Snuggie until proven otherwise.
    That is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Keep in mind Out-n-back wont stand behind anything.
    You buy it and you keep it for life.
    hmmm. I didn't check the warranty out. Hope I don't need to find out!
    The man thong is wrong.

A little off subject, but I bought some North Face shoes at REI a few years ago. Well the laces only lasted 6 months due to the design. I looked all over for these type of laces and could not find them, even at REI.

I have now had the shoes for 2+ years or so. This morning I called TNF (lifetime warranty) and they didn't hesitate to send me a new pair of laces free of charge. Impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    A little off subject, but I bought some North Face shoes at REI a few years ago. Well the laces only lasted 6 months due to the design. I looked all over for these type of laces and could not find them, even at REI.

I have now had the shoes for 2+ years or so. This morning I called TNF (lifetime warranty) and they didn't hesitate to send me a new pair of laces free of charge. Impressed.
    just want to make sure i got this right.

the laces wore out after 6 months. you hung onto shoes for another 18 months without laces. then decided to get new laces from nf. now expecting new laces to wear out in 6 months. am i close?

i know just being an

The laces still worked, but they were split open. The laces rub back and forth between these plastic thingies. Yeah your an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    hmmm. I didn't check the warranty out. Hope I don't need to find out!
    From my experience they will send it back to the manufacturer for you IF its still covered. I still pick up little things at out-n-back like backpacker meals, fuel, socks, ect. but large items are just a huge risk compared to REI or Backcountry.com.

I gotta stick my Canadian nose in here, and second Brian's recommend for MEC. They make great stuff, and really stand behind it. It costs a bit to have it sent to the States, but can still come out as a good deal.

I'm planning to pick up an MEC Hybrid sleeping bag (the -20C or -4F version) before FreezeFest this year. Same idea as the Big Agnes Lost Ranger that tcope mentioned - down on top, synthetic on bottom. $185 Canadian (just under $180 US), including shipping to the States. Beautiful bag, and they stand behind everything they sell.

Consider buying a bunch of stuff at once - they'll send up to $1000 worth for $19 shipping.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    I gotta stick my Canadian nose in here, and second Brian's recommend for MEC. They make great stuff, and really stand behind it. It costs a bit to have it sent to the States, but can still come out as a good deal.

I'm planning to pick up an MEC Hybrid sleeping bag (the -20C or -4F version) before FreezeFest this year. Same idea as the Big Agnes Lost Ranger that tcope mentioned - down on top, synthetic on bottom. $185 Canadian (just under $180 US), including shipping to the States. Beautiful bag, and they stand behind everything they sell.

Consider buying a bunch of stuff at once - they'll send up to $1000 worth for $19 shipping.

Yes...but that bag has one of the neck dividers. Other bags just have the divider on the top. But on the bottom...that's just uncomfortable (in my testing that is).
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"