Thread: Tent Advice

Tent Advice

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a 4 man tent that I can stand up in at the center. Also, I need to be able to put it up by myself, as I'm usually camping by myself or with my almost 4 year old. Any advice would be great! Oh, about a $300 budget.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I am assuming as you want something you can stand up in that you want something for car camping not backpacking.. with that in mind I would either get a Kodiak Canvas Tent or a REI Camp Hut both have their own pros and cons but both of them rock, can be put up by one person and meet your budget requirement.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Thank you! I had not even checked those out yet. Sounds like I have some research to do.

Has anyone used the REI Hobitat4? I was curious how hard it is to put together. I've heard/read differing opinions.

Thanks!

I second the Kodiaks. Love em. Have used all those listed here and they are all great.
    http://www.recreationoutlet.com/c-6-canvas.aspx

Messes w/ your budget though.....

I have three small kids (6, 3 and 1 yr olds) and they are rough on tents. They fall over on them, jump around inside with their shoes on, hide their rock and pine cone collection inside, build small sand castles inside, etc, etc. For that reason, I finally decided to buy a tent I didn't care if they thrashed. I bought the Ozark Trail 16' x 10' Dome Tent. It's an 8 man tent, cheap ($79 at Walmart when I bought it), and easy to set up. Down side is it's really heavy (so it's only for car camping-no backpacking), and it doesn't handle rain well. The rainfly only covers the top, not the side panels.

take a look at cabela's . they have several large tents and some are on sale. i have a huge dome tent from there. i love it.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    take a look at cabela's . they have several large tents and some are on sale. i have a huge dome tent from there. i love it.
    X2. I have a couple of Cabela's tents. Love them both. One other thing to consider, is what is a four man tent to you. A tent advertized as a 3-4 man tent is really a 2 man tent for me. An eight man tent houses four men quite nicely. A tent is like a garage. You will always want just a little more room. So I say, go big.
    Life is Good

Bogley BigShot
    4 men... that is cute.

heres the one i have. it's 10'x10'. absolutely huge. sleeps 4 with heaps of room foe gear. its is expensive and really heavy. car camping or river trips only. god forbid i would have to carry it anywhere.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...002&hasJS=true
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    X2. I have a couple of Cabela's tents. Love them both. One other thing to consider, is what is a four man tent to you. A tent advertized as a 3-4 man tent is really a 2 man tent for me. An eight man tent houses four men quite nicely. A tent is like a garage. You will always want just a little more room. So I say, go big.
    When I've backpacked in other countries I always get grief for how Americans need such huge tents. European backpackers will squeeze 3 people in a tent we all think is kinda small for 2. I'm trying to downsize a little with my new 2-person backpacker that is really for exactly 2 not-too-large adults. But I've still got a roomy one too.
    Last edited by ststephen; 07-08-2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Big tents seem to be colder as well. I just got my first over-sized car camping tent this year and it just doesn't seem to keep the warmth very well.

I also recommend the Kodiak Canvas - love it. It is 10 X 10 and has straight walls. I am 6' 4'' and can stand and stretch in it. I put my cot and tent heater in there and can camp in the winter. It is heavy, but is easy to put up by myself. It is a little more than $300, but I don't plan on buying another tent in my life.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Quote Originally Posted by brookiekiller View Post
    I also recommend the Kodiak Canvas - love it. It is 10 X 10 and has straight walls. I am 6' 4'' and can stand and stretch in it. I put my cot and tent heater in there and can camp in the winter. It is heavy, but is easy to put up by myself. It is a little more than $300, but I don't plan on buying another tent in my life.
    Ok.. so generally the Kodiak is over $300.. I got mine for a steal at $250 (its good to know people) I have the 10X12 and it fits my fam of 4 on 4 cots with a tent heater and 3 girls worth of junk perfect.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by DOSS View Post
    Ok.. so generally the Kodiak is over $300.. I got mine for a steal at $250 (its good to know people) I have the 10X12 and it fits my fam of 4 on 4 cots with a tent heater and 3 girls worth of junk perfect.
    Hi If you are looking for a Four person tent with enough space then you have many option out there Like Ozark trail tent, Coleman tents, Ozark trail yurt tent you can buy any of these tents. These tents are one of the best tents available in the market.