Thread: Canyoneering Knots

Canyoneering Knots

Mod Note: This was split from the Englestead Tree "E" Thread:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?p=407805

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Why, a double EDK of course: http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/tech/tying.php

T
    I like the double fishermans but the EDK is so easy to tie and (usually) untie. I've also seen a (small rope) figure 8 tied to a (big-rope) figure 8 (being used as the knot-block) but this seems more likely to get stuck 'cause both knots have open loops ready to snag everything.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have been using a figure eight follow-through. It seems to be a nice knot for tying two different diameters together. Nice and compact, easier to tie and untie than the fishermans, doesn't have the unrolling problem that the EDK does.

Anyone else like this knot? I don't hear of it much over here in canyoneering circles...

4. Likes Renatomic808 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by canyoncaver View Post
    I have been using a figure eight follow-through. It seems to be a nice knot for tying two different diameters together. Nice and compact, easier to tie and untie than the fishermans, doesn't have the unrolling problem that the EDK does.

Anyone else like this knot? I don't hear of it much over here in canyoneering circles...
    AKA: Flemish Bend, Figure Eight Bend, Rewoven Figure Eight

I used to use this knot all the time about 10 years ago..... than I did some climbing/canyoneering with a couple well known/famous climbers. I noticed they all used the EDK and after taking through the pro's and con's with them and using it some I switched to the EDK exclusively.... I do not back it up with a second EDK and I've never had the knot roll on me climbing or canyoneering. I seldom use rope of the same diameter... YMMA...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    AKA: Flemish Bend, Figure Eight Bend, Rewoven Figure Eight

I used to use this knot all the time about 10 years ago..... than I did some climbing/canyoneering with a couple well known/famous climbers. I noticed they all used the EDK and after taking through the pro's and con's with them and using it some I switched to the EDK exclusively.... I do not back it up with a second EDK and I've never had the knot roll on me climbing or canyoneering. I seldom use rope of the same diameter... YMMA...
    This (for the most part). EDK with a back-up and tails is bomber. It's easy to dress, to inspect, and to pull.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canyoncaver View Post

The backup knot PREVENTS the capsizing. Or you can use long tails and DELAY the capsizing. I prefer the Prevent approach.

I think the backup knot is only important when the ropes are different in any way, but I fail to see a downside in using the backup knot.

Flemish Bend is OK, but EDK is better.

T

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Mod Note: This was split from the Englestead Tree "E" Thread:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?p=407805

I like the double fishermans but the EDK is so easy to tie and (usually) untie. I've also seen a (small rope) figure 8 tied to a (big-rope) figure 8 (being used as the knot-block) but this seems more likely to get stuck 'cause both knots have open loops ready to snag everything.

I prefer the double fishermans. I am much more confident about it, and, I have tied it so many times that it has become second nature and very easy to tie. I also start the knot off with a simple square knot....that seems to make it a lot easier to untie, after it has become weighted.
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

Quote Originally Posted by taatmk View Post
    I also start the knot off with a simple square knot....that seems to make it a lot easier to untie, after it has become weighted.
    Back when I used a Flemish Bend I would clip a biner through the center of the knot. After the rappel you could easily unclip the biner and this provided some slack that made untieing the knot really easy.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by taatmk View Post
    I prefer the double fishermans. I am much more confident about it, and, I have tied it so many times that it has become second nature and very easy to tie. I also start the knot off with a simple square knot....that seems to make it a lot easier to untie, after it has become weighted.
    Thats called a "square fisherman", very useful.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Throwback Thursday....

Let's talk knots.....

Name:  aZg3f5H.jpg
Views: 15152
Size:  109.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Throwback Thursday....
    is the new Ratagonia rope model!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15 View Post
    is the new Ratagonia rope model!!!!!
    I wish... but Tom mostly uses smelly old men that have seen better days as his models.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

14. Likes hesse15, ratagonia liked this post

Hum.... Good idea for my retired ropes...
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm