Thread: Death Hollow-2

Death Hollow-2

My friend Steve, my son Jeremy and I went back down to Escalante, this time to hike up the Escalante and up into Death Hollow. When Steve, me and four of our friends went at the end of May, the water flow was three times as it was this time around. We were attempting to go from the Boulder Mail Trail down through Death Hollow. So through one rookie mistake, we had to go down Sand Creek which is littered with too many beaver dams to count. It is a good thing we had to go that way after seeing the water flow that was in Death Hollow versus where it is now.

We had a blast. We got down to the Escalante trailhead off of Hwy 12 around 1pm and hiked just into Death Hollow and set up camp. The weather was beautiful. I slept in my hammock and didn't use my sleeping bag until around 3am. We got up and left around 10am and hiked about three miles up into Death Hollow.

The scenery in DH was amazing, the water was perfect. We got to an area where there were successful falls and found pools that were six feet deep and deeper and at one point had to crawl on a tiny ledge to make our way through. We ended our trip at a large pool where we hung out and swam for an hour.

We returned to camp around 6pm, exhausted and satisfied with our exploits. We got up this morning and left camp around 10am headed back to our car. We met a few people along the way. We definitely learned from our mistakes and plan on completing the BMT down DH and end up at the HWY 12 trailhead. I know there is a 'shortcut' from about a helf mile out of Death Hollow where you can ascend/descend and we did that last time. We found some great camp sites along the way and marked them on our GPS.

I had my iphone with Topo Maps installed and Steve had the Garmin 600. We compared our results and were dead on with where each of our GPS's showed us being.

I have some videos from our trip and will post them later.

BTW, the last photo in the slide show is what happens when your waterproof camera no longer decides to be waterproof!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    nice TR

how do you like your hammock setup? most people I've asked either love it or hate it. any tricks to make it comfy

Quote Originally Posted by bigred72 View Post

BTW, the last photo in the slide show is what happens when your waterproof camera no longer decides to be waterproof!!!
    What kind of camera did you have?

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    nice TR

how do you like your hammock setup? most people I've asked either love it or hate it. any tricks to make it comfy
    Absolutely love sleeping in my hammock. I haven't slept on the ground since I made it. I sleep great and wake up with no pain whatsoever. My hammock is 11' long and 68" wide. When I lay diagonally, I lay nearly flat which is what makes it so comfortable. I have a bugnet with zipper attached, so no problems with bugs. I have my hydration bladder clip in with an s-biner so I have water always available. Also, I have a ridgeline from one end of my hammock to another and with the bugnetting, I can clip my iphone on the ridgeline directly above me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    What kind of camera did you have?
    Olympus 790SW, 7.1 mp. I can see sand in the casing for the screen and saw some condensation, but it has dried out. I am going to take it apart to see what I can do. I would like to upgrade to something with an HD video camera. I took some cool video at Death Hollow, but it look like crap at a bigger size.

As promised...

Great trip report. I've never been to Death Hollow this far into Summer, the latest I've been was early June, I bet it was toasty. Would have made those swimming holes sweeter than ever.

Great TR and nice photos! Death Hollow is one of my favorite canyons in Utah, and I think the best backpacking canyon around. The water, pools, ferns and moss, and incredible campsites make for an experience that is hard to find elsewhere.

Nat

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Great trip report. I've never been to Death Hollow this far into Summer, the latest I've been was early June, I bet it was toasty. Would have made those swimming holes sweeter than ever.
    I guess it helps if you subscribe to your own thread!!! The weather was perfect. I ended up not using my sleeping bag until about 3am in the morning. I checked the historical reports for water flow and weather and I got lucky to have picked a great time. I plan on going back next year with my Eagle Scout group. Starting at the BMT, down Death Hollow and ending up at the Escalante trail head on Highway 12....about 20 miles over four days.