Thread: Looking for a backpacking partner for Zion in October.

Looking for a backpacking partner for Zion in October.

I'm new this site, and I've never looked for a partner for a trip so I'm not sure how to write this, so if I leave anything out please let me know, or ask.
    I'm looking for a hiking partner for Zion this fall. Date is the 19th of October to the 26th. I want to do the West Rim Trail OR the Narrows in a two day hike. I'm also planning on doing several of the smaller hikes on another day. (In the main valley.) I'm also wanting to try Angels Landing.

I'm a guy in my early thirties, I'm fairly conservative in all aspects of life. Reserved but friendly.
    I'm from the Midwest and I'm an experienced backpacker. (I have all my own gear, of course.) I've been backpacking since I was a teen. I've never been out west so I don't know if I'll run in to any issues for hiking. (Can't imagine what issues might come up though.) I'd say my speed is moderate, but I do plan on pausing from time to time. My way of backpacking can be described as, very much an explorer in it for the journey, not in it to make time to the finish line. (I like taking pictures, so I'm sure I'll be pausing to shoot a bit.)

I will be flying into Vegas on the 19th of October. First order of business, I will be looking at a bit of property I bought and checking out some Ghost towns. (Modena being one of them.) after being around for a couple of days I plan on heading over to Zion. I don't think the altitude will be an issue, but I figured if I spend the first couple of days looking around I should be well adjusted by the time I do any real hiking. (Where I live is about 700 feet above sea level.)

If I do the Narrows I'm not even sure how to be prepared for that trip. I've read all the advice for wet suits etc. What I'm not sure about is how do you keep you feet from cracking from being in the water all day. Also, I'm only a fair swimmer. I can get around ok in a swimming pool, but that's about it. If I can't get a partner for this trip I won't do the Narrows for exactly this reason.

So, in short, I'm looking for a partner to hike with me on all, some, whatever. My neighbor who's an outdoors man, was going to come with me, but his wife won't let him go. (Snicker. Turn over your man card Brian.)
    I know this is a bit for off, but I like plans made early. Let me know if there's any interest.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I might be able to do some day stuff (west rim is easily done in a day) Send me a pm...

I just sent a PM to "mattandersao" and thought it would be good to post it here because I wrote a bit more detail on what I'm thinking for the backpacking and figured it might help others imagine what I'm working on.

My reply

Thanks for your reply. I'm very much open to ideas on how and what hikes to do, as I'm still planning.
    However, I was thinking of doing West rim top down as an over night so I can catch Angels Landing before ending up back in the main valley, but hey I'm open to other ideas to. Or perhaps we could hook and do a couple of the basics hikes in the main valley.
    My thinking so far is to start at the top of the west rim first day hike 3/4 or so of it second day do the rest and do Angels landing to. Then get settled into the main valley and spend the next two days doing several of the smaller hikes. Emerald pool, weeping rocks, Short bit of the Narrows end. etc.
    If I could find some one to do the whole Narrows with me as a two day hike that would be fantastic. And then I would finish up the couple of days in the main Canyon doing the various shorter routes.
    Anyway those are my two basic plan a and b. But like I said I'm still very much in the planning stages and open to input, especially from those have gone before.
    Thanks again for your response, it's always a pleasure to hook up with fellow outdoor enthusiasts. Let me know if what you had in mind could match up with what I had in mind.

Still looking for a partner if anyone is interested.
    Did any of my comments scare anyone off?

Let me cross post this over to backpacking for you. I think you may get better traction over there.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Let me cross post this over to backpacking for you. I think you may get better traction over there.
    Thanks.