Thread: Logan Canyon-White Pine Lake

Logan Canyon-White Pine Lake

I went on a solo overnight backpacking trip to Logan Canyon a couple of weeks ago, specifically the Bunchgrass can trail to White Pine lake. I headed up on a Friday afternoon at got to the pull off around 6:30. The trail is 7.5 miles long. I hiked in around 3.5 miles the first night.

I sleep in a custom made hammock and the weather was perfect. The next morning after packing up I explored around the waters edge and then ran into a runner who told me that the Tony's Grove trail was completely snowed over. The trail was clear to White Pine Lake up until just outside of the lake, but was easily passable.

I ran into a Scout troop from South Weber and they came in on the Tony's Grove trail....four miles took them four hours. They said they didn't even know where the trail was so they were lucky getting there. I hung out at the lake for an hour. The lake was still frozen over about 80% and is flanked by Mt. Magog and Mt. Gog.

I was going to hike back out a little further than I had hiked in the night before, but wanted to get back home, so I trekked all the way back out.

This was a great trip and very cathartic. On a side note, I downloaded a program for my iphone "Topo Maps" for $8.00. You can download any topo map in the U.S. for free and zoom to 1:24. The internal GPS worked perfect. It is definitely worth the money. It doesn't have all of the functionality of a full fledged GPS, but I had been used to using a map and compass for many years, so perfect for me.

I also used an item called the Stickpic. It attaches to your camera and then fits snug on the end of your trekking poles for taking self/landscape portraits or video.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sweet! Lotta snow up there! Great tips about the iPhone GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by bigred72 View Post
    On a side note, I downloaded a program for my iphone "Topo Maps" for $8.00. You can download any topo map in the U.S. for free and zoom to 1:24. The internal GPS worked perfect. It is definitely worth the money.
    Hey, have you tried exporting your gps track and importing it into a custom google map? I'm just curious if you got that working.

Great trip report. I love that area, if you haven't already I highly recommend heading over the ridge into High Creek, it's literally only a half mile or so away as the crow flies from White Pine. Good access from Tony Grove Lake or Cove, UT. It's a great hike with a little lake and the opportunity to hike Cherry Peak and Naomi (highest in Bear River Range). Here's a couple pics of Cherry, it's definitely one of my favorite peaks.

Name:  DSCN0427v2..jpg
Views: 2544
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  DSCN0410..jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  152.0 KB

Thanks ibenick, I will check it out. I plan on taking my scouts up there in September via the Tony's Grove trailhead to White Pine Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Hey, have you tried exporting your gps track and importing it into a custom google map? I'm just curious if you got that working.
    I did in fact....thanks for the heads up.