Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coyote Buttes North Permit Lottery (The Wave)

yep, i hear ya. if you could camp out there, that place would be a freakin' gold mine for great photos though. the whole area is chocked full of amazing stuff. but the permit thing just makes it so hard to put it all together. not worth the hassle. laurent martres has a good write up on the whole area though. even without the wave, it's pretty amazing stuff.

the eco-terrorist thing has been floating around for quite awhile. i personally don't believe it. but i suppose it's plausible. we saw 15 people the day i was there, which means 5 didn't show up. which also seems plausible. 8 of the people were asian, 2 were german. i think i went out there in early 2007. maybe 2006. hard to remember. probably more people competing for them today.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    i've also heard rumors that photographers trying to take as many spots as possible so they can get a perfect shot. but just rumors haven't seen any facts.

I do know this, a member of this form was offered a permit from someone not going to use her's for something like $130. I'll let him explain details if he wants to. maybe there is a black market for permits idk.

Just adding a bit. I was at The Wave Saturday-a family member was fortunate enough to have drawn a permit and I was fortunate enough to be invited. We were at The Wave first with another group about 20 minutes behind. The second group was from Switzerland. That was the only group I saw until we were leaving when a group of 4 passed speaking what sounded like French. My group did see 2 other people that I didn't see. We saw a number heading in as we were heading out around noon. The point is that the area seems to be developing an international reputation not just Utah/Arizona or even the USA.
    RP

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    I do know this, a member of this form was offered a permit from someone not going to use her's for something like $130. I'll let him explain details if he wants to. maybe there is a black market for permits idk.
    Not a rumor for sure Shaun. Happened to me last fall or summer. A lady came into the Rat one day and walked up to me to ask if I would like a permit for 4 at North Coyote Buttes. She had one and explained that she was unable to use it. I asked what day was it for? She said something like a wednesday I believe. I explained that this would be difficult for me or my co-workers. I had wanted to get my co-workers out there on a day the store was closed i.e. Sunday. Anyway I asked if she would like to post it on our bulletin board? She already had made up a flyer to my surprise, but without cost particulars. I thought I remembered that it was like $5 plus $5 for each person for a total of $25, so I mentioned that she put the price on the flyer. She said.....OH NO! No way I've already had offers for $150 and that she would hold out for the highest bidder! I was flaberghasted! She then went on to explain that she held permits for the next couple months and always applies in advance. I then recognized that she was not a hiker (by her physique) and realized that she was a scalper. After she left the store I called BLM and mentioned to them if they wanted a permit to The Wave to just call her number and make a bid! Anyway I haven't seen her again?

Friday the 13th hike at the Wave ... We got lucky that the weather cleared up. It had been raining the previous 2 weeks making the road impassable.

www <dot> flickr <dot> com / allaurente / sets / 72157624752722218

Thanks for posting that allaurente, and welcome to Bogley.

I couldn't find this on the BLM's website, does anyone know when you must be out of there when awarded a day use permit? For example, if I were to go out there in Decmeber could I stay for a couple hours past sunset to take photos? That time of year that would mean I'd still be out before 7 or 8pm.

Quote Originally Posted by allaurente View Post
    Friday the 13th hike at the Wave ... We got lucky that the weather cleared up. It had been raining the previous 2 weeks making the road impassable.

www <dot> flickr <dot> com / allaurente / sets / 72157624752722218
    Nice photo set. By the way, just 3 more posts and you'll be able to post links. It's a default spammer measure we had to take. Welcome to bogley.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Nice pictures!
    Chere'

Haha! After many, many time getting the shaft from the lottery system I just found out that I get to go on a Sunday in December. Woohoo! Hows that for off season?!

Do they ever see snow out there? That could make for some good photo ops...

yep, it can snow. but it melts fast usually. except last year...

december could be excellent, but short days. i'd get the route dialed on a gps and head out there 2 hours before sunrise and stay through sunset. make sure you check out the area up behind the crack, and find melody arch. it is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    yep, it can snow. but it melts fast usually. except last year...

december could be excellent, but short days. i'd get the route dialed on a gps and head out there 2 hours before sunrise and stay through sunset. make sure you check out the area up behind the crack, and find melody arch. it is amazing.
    Thanks for the advice. I'm actually kind of excited for the short day aspect of it. It will be nice to be out there for sunrise and sunset without spending so much time.

It looks like they want me to choose my entry trailhead, Wire Pass or The Notch. Any opinions on which is best and why?

i think wire pass is the traditional entry... but i'm not entirely sure now.

The Notch as a TH is interesting. I've never been up to it but there are supposed to be petroglyphs there. Might be a shorter distance to the Wave. A friend of mine has invited my wife and I to go with them Sept 27th, I'll be looking into the Notch entry.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Does anyone have coordinates for the notch trailhead?

pretty sure it's right at the stateline, just a little bit south. unmarked TH, but IIRC that's where it is.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Been there with a little snow on the ground.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

so.. after reading this over and realizing that im not going to be able to get permits for the times im going to be in that area...my question is. what are the fines if you do get caught hiking through there without a permit? i heard very mixed reviews

If I ran into someone un-permitted after going through the hell of getting one the fine would be a punch in the face. But that's just me. If I were you I would just try for the in-person lottery, sounds like you have a much better chance of getting one that way.

After reading on a couple other forums. Seems like people have done this before without permits. Although i dont agree with it, the other guys are all pumped about doing it anyways. But how many people show up for the lottery?

There is four in our group, so the probability is very unlikely that we will all get in.