Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calf Creek Recreation area to close for a month

Calf Creek Recreation area to close for a month

By Mark Havnes
    The Salt Lake Tribune

Cedar City • The popular Calf Creek Recreation Area in southern Utah’s Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument will be closed for about a month starting July 6 for upgrades.

Crews will upgrade the culinary water system at individual and group campsites, including lower spigots to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. The site borders State Road 12, east of Escalante in Garfield County.

The improvements will cost $78,000 and will be paid for by federal stimulus money.

Bureau of Land Management spokesman Larry Crutchfield said Tuesday the site must be closed during the work because heavy equipment needed to install the new infrastructure could be dangerous to visitors.

Until the work is completed, no day or overnight use of the site will be allowed. The closure affects the popular Lower Calf Creek Falls Trail accessed through the campground.

“We regret any inconvenience this may cause to our visitors,” said Rene Berkhoudt, manager of the monument, which is managed by the BLM. “Calf Creek is one of our most popular areas on the monument. Unfortunately, the work cannot be done during the winter months, and the spring and fall are our heaviest use periods for Calf Creek, leaving this time period as the best to complete the improvements.”

Crutchfield said the monument, including Calf Creek, is seeing an increase in visitation so far this year.

In addition, Crutchfield said more visitors are seeing Hole In the Rock, where Mormon settlers in 1849 carved a precarious road into a cliff side in western Kane County.

Crutchfield attributes the increased interest in the site to the recently published book about the ordeal titled The Undaunted; The Miracle of the Hole in the Rock Pioneers by Gerald Lund.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/49...-area.html.csp

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

When's the best time of year to go to Calf Creek? I've been thinking about going for the first time, but don't want to go when it's blazing hot. There may be other times of year when it's not a good time to go either. That's what I'm wondering.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Oh that is pretty and close to me. Adding this one to the list. So someone dish when is a good time to go?
    Chere'

I've only been in July... which I enjoyed because it's an awesome swimming hole. If you are not into swimming and more into looking then September would be good.... in Utah pretty much everything is great in September...

Calf Creek Falls Route Info
    http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/calfcreek.htm

I went over UEA break in October and the weather was awesome to hike but too cold to swim(that didnt stop some speedo wearing men who shouldnt have been wearing them). In the summer the hike out would be HOT as there is little if any shade!

Late August may give you the best of both worlds if you leave early, pack a lunch, hang out and swim and leave later on in the afternoon. for what ever reason, the water is pretty darn cold year around. Funny how the Virgin River water is quite warm and the springs that feed Zion are quite warm but Calf Creek water, at least that which hits that pool, is down right chilly.

BTW, anyone fished that little stream? Last time I was there there were quite a few nice looking fish in there. Is it open to fishing?
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Late August may give you the best of both worlds if you leave early, pack a lunch, hang out and swim and leave later on in the afternoon.
    Yep, it's toasty, but hiking back later, like Scott says, is good, because most of the trail is along the west side of the canyon - you'll be in the shade a lot.

Lovely place, with very chilly water. A wetsuit helps:

When's the best time of year to go to Calf Creek?
    I would say any time is a good time to go.

Summer is hot, but can soak in the creek. There are some exposed sunny sections, but if you get wet first before you walk through them, it isn't bad at all (and I'm not a fan of heat and it wasn't bad for me). The pool is great in the summer. In winter, there are some fantastic icicles on the canyon walls. Fall is colorful and spring is nice and green. I've even seen it during a flash flood (impressive with all the huge waterfalls coming off the cliffs) and the hike is free of danger unless it was a huge one. Late May thorugh September is the best time to swim.

There really isn't a bad time of year for Calf Creek Falls (unlike some of the other hikes in the region).

When we did the hike in July we soaked in the creek with our clothes on before the hike out.... and our clothes just finished drying about the time we hit the trailhead... worked out great.

I have been twice... most recently was last October.
    Great hike for the kiddies.

I can't believe this thread hasn't been split, yet. Wasn't it supposed to be about the closure of Calf Creek for a month?

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    I can't believe this thread hasn't been split, yet. Wasn't it supposed to be about the closure of Calf Creek for a month?
    Yeah, sorry I derailed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    Yeah, sorry I derailed it!
    Hey, I'm right there with ya. Just having a go at Ice.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Yeah well I am irritated with Ice. Posts this great hike that I could go on right now but no it is closed!! For a month.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    Just having a go at Ice.
    You know..... some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I have been twice... most recently was last October.
    Wow...that is a great photo...!

Calf Creek this fall. Yep, its now on the list. Thanks for letting me know its closed.

Rappelling down the falls, WAY COOL.

I've been in November and April, both were fine..

I have a tripped planned in the area, who can we call to verify if its open yet?

Escalante Interagency Office 435-826-5499