Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: San Rafael Swell in September

Dude - no sympathy on the pad; that's what I usually fly with. Though Kev has shown me my error in my ways and I'll try to bring a foam pad too. I'll count you in as far as food.

Also, other than Brian, do we have a grill I can use to cook the steak? Don - are you bringing firewood?
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    Dude - no sympathy on the pad; that's what I usually fly with. Though Kev has shown me my error in my ways and I'll try to bring a foam pad too. I'll count you in as far as food.

Also, other than Brian, do we have a grill I can use to cook the steak? Don - are you bringing firewood?

[FONT=Verdana]I will be bringing grill for the steak. It

I've got a good portable propane grill. I will be bringing that, a two-burner coleman stove, and of course a French press + a lot of coffee. Hopefully that should leave a little bit of room in the car for gear and a tent :). The only thing I don't have laying around is some type of wash basin (saw it mentioned in the other list). Will bring extra water, large cutting board and knife.
    Gear list would include mountain bike, but I've got to get a rack or a bigger vehicle...

As far as routes, I'm interested in most anything that it seems reasonable we can get through safely.

When are people planning to get there? I haven't even looked at the route in detail yet for travel time, etc but was thinking of leaving early-early Friday.

I think we're leaving SLC area around 6:30 or 7. Should get us there 11ish. Your drive is about 7 hours, I think. So, you don't need to leave until mid-PM at the earliest.

I can always pick up a cheap plastic basin if no one else has one. No big deal, but I find those nice when cleaning up a group meal.

I'm doing final packing tonight; off to the airport tomorrow!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

It was a good day today. After 150 miles, I'm now 90% convinced that I'm not losing enough coolant to matter. The Planet X Kaffenback frame arrived early so no worries about $350 worth of merchandise spending a 4 day weekend on the front porch. A buddy at work even had an old Thermarest Guidelite collecting dust. Just like me, he prefers an ultralight sub-1 lb. pad for backpacking and the plush 3+ lb. pad for car camping. The 2 lb. pad he bought first was just sitting around. I still want to pick up another plushy but I can't beat $20 for this one.

One more good day tomorrow and I should be good to go early (as in after the garbage has been picked up) on Thursday. I should have a couple of fires worth of firewood and a mountain bike as well as a good old Coleman stove and lantern, a tripod grill and charcoal, a camp chair and table, 3-man tent, two coolers, one pack for the canyons, one pack for the bike, and at least 7 gallons of water.

I'll see if I can pick up what I need for a little Jicama salad and lots of beer so I don't seem like a dutch oven mooch.

Any ideas how far up the road from the airfield that I'll need to be to raise Don on the cellular?
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Awesome! I'm heading out early-mid afternoon. Hopefully can find everyone pretty well at the airfield. Maybe you guys could pick up a big glow-in-the-dark sign or something :)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Awesome! I'm heading out early-mid afternoon. Hopefully can find everyone pretty well at the airfield. Maybe you guys could pick up a big glow-in-the-dark sign or something :)
    We'll try to camp obvious. You've met Paul & I so it shouldn't be too difficult. See you tonight!

Looks like I'm solo this weekend so I think I'm going to try and spend the night at the Bogley camp either Friday or Saturday if that's alright. I'll be totally independent on all food and supplies but I'll throw in plenty of Idaho beer and firewood to support the cause.. See you all down there!

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Looks like I'm solo this weekend so I think I'm going to try and spend the night at the Bogley camp either Friday or Saturday if that's alright. I'll be totally independent on all food and supplies but I'll throw in plenty of Idaho beer and firewood to support the cause.. See you all down there!
    Very cool. You're welcome in camp either night, or both!

that was a great time! looking forward to seeing the pics posted. Anyone whose number I had, please private-message it to me as the trip's casualty seems to be my iPhone. On that note, if anyone finds an iPhone, let me know. *sigh*. Thinking it's out there in the desert, or possibly fell into the porta-potty.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    that was a great time! looking forward to seeing the pics posted. Anyone whose number I had, please private-message it to me as the trip's casualty seems to be my iPhone. On that note, if anyone finds an iPhone, let me know. *sigh*. Thinking it's out there in the desert, or possibly fell into the porta-potty.
    Sorry to hear about your phone; that sucks.
    Otherwise; good times for sure. Looking forward to the next trip already. TR & Pics soon.

Bummer about the phone.

Turns out I only burped 20 psi out of my tire hitting a rock while trying to make good time. It hasn't leaked at all since I learned how many strokes of a bicycle pump (about 1000) that it takes to fill a car tire. Lucky. Lucky. Lucky.

That trip down Music was epic. My shoulders are killing me. Of course it has to be the first day back when I get stuck repeatedly stacking and unstacking five and ten 45-50 lb. plates on a treadmill to test it.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Good to hear about the tire. Music was awesome! Glad we got to do it in the more challenging conditions. Thinking about that makes me want to go again before too long!

Thanks for the good times everyone. Sorry about the camera Erik.

I posted a TR for Knotted Rope. Hope to get Music up tomorrow. You can find the hi-res on flickr. Love to get your guys shots too...

Ok so I'm about ready to go back to the desert - that was too much fun!