Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: San Rafael Swell in September

San Rafael Swell in September

In some face-to-face and off-forum conversations with Don the idea of a trip to the swell in September has come up. The date suggested was a three day weekend of 9/24-26 (Fri-Sun). I'm looking at some reasonable airfares right now and will likely grab something soon. I think the plan would be to leave SLC on Thursday after work to allow for 3 full days having a swell time.

Who's in?
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    ....having a swell time.

Who's in?
    having a swell of a time in the Swell eh? hehe

Wish I could go then with ya guys but I got school...but I am going two weeks earlier during Labor Day (which will be busy... ) but plan on hitting Zero G, Goblin Valley, LWH, Ding & Dang, and Crack Cyn (never done yet).

what's on your hit list?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Sorry Paul, I told you I'd post something about this and I never got around to it.

I've mentioned this to a few people face to face on via facebook. The Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance is having an open invitation camp out at Hidden Splendor Airfield on September 25th & 26th. They (obviously) plan to have a discussion about protecting the wild lands. They will also be doing a pot luck dinner Saturday evening and (if you RSVP) they will have coffee and breakfast Sunday morning (assume that's for contributing members) and music around the campfire.
    I think it would be fun to camp near them (not necessarily with them) and participate in the discussions (regardless of your viewpoint; I encourage those of opposing views to join 'cause it'll make the discussion more interesting). Then during the day instead of their guided nature hike we could do some nearby technical slot canyons. Knotted Rope (Miners Hollow), Quandary and Music come quickly to mind. In fact I've been meaning to get back into Quandary to descend the potholes this time!
    Here's the SUWA link
    http://www.suwa.org/site/PageServer?...ts_roundup2010

Cody and I are planning on it (I hope to head down the evening of Thursday the 23rd and stay through Sunday afternoon), and it sounds like Paul is in. Anyone else interested?

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I'd be interested in a Quandary pothole direct and ascending up Knotted Rope. squeeze also on the hit list

Cashed in my SWA reward for my flight today, so I thought I'd bump this thread to remind folks of this upcoming trip. Aaron was very bummed to learn he's not going, but I'm due for mini-vacation "with the guys".
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Cody and I are in for sure. Josh is hopeful. I'm looking forward to it!

still interested

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Cody and I are in for sure. Josh is hopeful. I'm looking forward to it!
    I'll talk to you about it on the 20th. mmmm-k?

I'll probably be up to helmet, harness, shoes, rappelling device, and a few carabiners by September.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

I'm in. Will figure out some more details (like exactly when I can arrive), as it gets closer.

Nice, looks like this is really coming together!

Also, here is my TR from the last time we were down there:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30037

Bump.
    And Gonzo (was with me in Englestead when things went off-plan last year) got permission from his wife and is being counted among those committed to this trip!!

Looking positive for me too. I still have 3-4 vacation days left and finances look as though they'll be under control too.

Knotted Rope looks most interesting to me although I might be inclined to camp a little further away.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Any thoughts on routes, number of people definitely going, etc? Realized the date is fast approaching!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Any thoughts on routes, number of people definitely going, etc? Realized the date is fast approaching!
    Yeah, right now the committed group is Myself and my buddies Josh, Gonzo and Cody (occasionally on Bogley as adamsco), plus Shawn (trackrunner), Paul (ststeven) and Erik.
    Brian mentioned serious interest but has made no firm commitment (you in Brian?). A few others expressed interest on Facebook but I'm not counting on them.
    Did I miss anyone?

We're planning on Knotted Rope (aka Miners Hollow), Quandary (Direct) and likely Music Canyon.

I hope to drive down Thursday (the 23rd) evening, but still need to nail down logistics with my travel partners.

I've been a little unfocused on this because of Kev's trip next week, but I am looking forward to it!!

uggh shoot. My wife had to be born near this weekend. When I asked she was cool and even encourage me to go. But I'm thinking it's a trap or a tarp . . .

I'll let you know

Hope you can make it Shawn.

Name:  ackbar..jpg
Views: 698
Size:  126.2 KB

"Why sure honey. You go out have a great time with your friends on my birthday weekend. I'll be fine here all by myself taking care of the kids"

Now if you make it a double good birthday both weekends before and after it *might* be OK. But, yeah tread carefully my friend!

Now on to more logistics: I'll be driving down from somewhere SLC-ish on Thursday evening too. Do you want to meet up to caravan? I don't know where we are camping so if we're not in a caravan I'll need help finding the spot.

Is anyone interested in a communal meal for Friday night? Saturday I want to do the SUWA thing that Don mentioned which is a pot luck. But Friday I'm happy to help organize and cook up something. Is anyone bringing a grill or stove? How do Steak Fajitas sound?

I can also easily be self-sufficient food wise so no worries either way.

If any local folks have room, a folding table might be nice to have for the group in general as would an extra camp chair. Those things don't fly with me easily.

Looking forward to this!

For sure we can work out a caravan. Will you be renting a car? I think we'll be tight or I'd offer you a ride.
    Group meal Friday sounds fun. We'll have a stove, dutch ovens and a grill with us. I can bring a spare chair and I'll see if we can get a table in too. Seems pretty do-able.
    Fajitas would be fun. Maybe grill the meat and cook a some cheesy potatoes and a dessert in the dutch ovens...
    Going to be fun!

Group meal Friday thing sounds good. I have a good portable grill and a small stove that I can bring.
    What kind of roads to the campsite? i.e. -- can my car make it? truck is acting weird, reliability questionable at the moment.