Thread: Kolob Opinions Needed

Kolob Opinions Needed

Hey everyone, I need your help. I have a Kolob trip planned mid July and I am wondering if you all think it

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    I talked to a BC ranger a few weeks ago and the guy said Echo would open 3rd week in July. Echo and Kolob are on similar opening weeks he said.

I dunno about the creek but I would trust the district.

First time?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Schnupp View Post
    Hey everyone, I need your help. I have a Kolob trip planned mid July and I am wondering if you all think it’s going to happen? I know it’s been a big water year up there and I am interested in hearing everybody’s opinions about when the canyon will open….if ever (that’s the feeling I got when I spoke with the water district).

I’m also wondering if anyone has driven over the creek recently and what you think it’s flowing? The district told me that they are not releasing any water, but it’s going over the spillway. Is this right, or just more district BS?

So come on….let’s have your best guesses.
    I was up there about 10 days ago, where the stream crosses under the road, and was surprised to see the water flowing in the creek at a moderate level. I woulda put it at 5 cfs.

Snow bridges might still be a problem. There were two wall-to-wall snow banks in Kolob between Boundary and MIA. Hard to say what is up there in Kolob. Often quite dangerous in the LAST phase of meltout.

Tom

I find with Zion and Kolob in particular, you must have a plan A, B, and C. Between the Water District and the permit system, it is tough to even speculate. It is a day by day, permit by permit, whim by whim sorta deal. Oh, and there is always the weather factor that time of year.
    Life is Good

Last year we did Boundary the last wknd of June. There were still massive snow drifts in the bottom in kolob. I would suspect that this year with the snow year we had that Kolob would hold snow till mid july. Good luck.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

they are not releasing water, it is just flowing into the spillway. I would imagine both echo and kolob to open in august best case

Can't quite remember right off, but I believe it is called Blue Spring? Anyway, I spoke with a friend this week that mentioned that soon if not now this spring will be pumped into the Reservoir. When this happens, good chance the flow will never be at a small flow again? Correct me if I'm just spreading rumors anybody!?

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post

I dunno about the creek but I would trust the district.

First time?

No, not my first time. I did Kolob several years ago.

I have a hard time taking the water district at their word. I have been up there on more then one occasion when they have stated flows of 15 cfs (all last summer), and actual flows where a third of that. Now, I understand that regulating flow isn't an exact science, there's lots of variables, but this reeks of something else to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Can't quite remember right off, but I believe it is called Blue Spring? Anyway, I spoke with a friend this week that mentioned that soon if not now this spring will be pumped into the Reservoir. When this happens, good chance the flow will never be at a small flow again? Correct me if I'm just spreading rumors anybody!?
    Wait, what? Have they always pumped water from Blue Springs into Kolob Res, or is this a new situation? How big is Blue Springs (cfs)?

Thanks Bo (sarcasm). I was just starting to think this trip might finally happen...DSD post notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I find with Zion and Kolob in particular, you must have a plan A, B, and C. Between the Water District and the permit system, it is tough to even speculate. It is a day by day, permit by permit, whim by whim sorta deal. Oh, and there is always the weather factor that time of year.
    This has been my experience for the last several years. It's starting to get frustrating to the point that you don't even want to try and schedule it anymore....except that it's extremely beautiful and unique, and probably worth all the effort and disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    It's not a rumor.... and the project is called the Crystal Creek Pipeline.

Here is a Bogley Thread on the project.
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?38144

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    It's not a rumor.... and the project is called the Crystal Creek Pipeline.

Here is a Bogley Thread on the project.
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?38144
    Thanks for the info, Shane.