Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intro to the ACA's Canyon Leader Program

Intro to the ACA's Canyon Leader Program

Join us at Out 'N Back in Orem Utah for a 2-hour presentation on the ACA's Canyon Leader Program. We will be scheduling canyoneering courses over a series of evenings, beginning July 13th and 14th. Learn more and register for the courses during the introductory meeting on the 6th.

Special discounted rates will be available to Boy Scout Leaders for the courses.

Visit our Meetup Group to RSVP:

http://www.meetup.com/ACA-Canyoneeri...ndar/13935605/
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

What about discounted rates for guys who have been scout leaders for 15+ years but are not currently.... but who are called upon often to train and help out and who got Steve and Clark started in the sport?
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    What about discounted rates for guys who have been scout leaders for 15+ years but are not currently.... but who are called upon often to train and help out and who got Steve and Clark started in the sport?
    Just because you got Steve and Clark started ... I won't hold that against you.

Join us next Tuesday evening, Scott. We'll work something out.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

Can you explain a little more about this. I am a Scoutmaster and would love to have training enough to take others through a canyon, but I am no where near that now. Is this an intro course? What exactly is being offered?

Quote Originally Posted by rcwild View Post
    Just because you got Steve and Clark started ... I won't hold that against you.

Join us next Tuesday evening, Scott. We'll work something out.
    I was just joshin'. I hope to be there! Now to figure out how to sign up..... technology...
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
    Can you explain a little more about this. I am a Scoutmaster and would love to have training enough to take others through a canyon, but I am no where near that now. Is this an intro course? What exactly is being offered?
    Completion of the ACA's Canyon Leader program following a normal track involves 12-14 days of training, 10 canyon trips, 2 trips mentored by existing canyon leaders and Wilderness First Aid certification. We know that can be a lot to ask of someone, especially Scout Leaders whose time is already very taxed. So we are going to offer much of the coursework over a series of weekday evenings. Not all of it, mind you. There will still be a need to get out on the rock. We just want to make it as convenient as possible so more people have an opportunity to participate.

We will provide some instruction Tuesday evening (Jul 6th), but we will also use some of the time to survey the group regarding best evenings to schedule, etc. Hope you can make it.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

I was just joshin'. I hope to be there! Now to figure out how to sign up..... technology...
    Hoping for RSVPs to get a handle on how many people to expect. But it's okay for Scott and other technology-challenged Scout Leaders to just show up.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

WOW that is alot of training, but for as much trouble as one can get into in a canyon, it suddenly does not seem like all that much.

How much $ are we talking? Are the 10 trips in Utah?

I am very interested.

I think I did it! I think I singned up and RSVP'ed. This is a momentous day in my technology progression!
    Life is Good

I think I did it! I think I singned up and RSVP'ed. This is a momentous day in my technology progression!
    Yep. Just received a notice that some guy named Scott Card RSVP'd. Woo hoo! Welcome to the 21st century, Scott.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

Oh, well if Scott is going I guess I can make time...

Is Spidey going to be helping out, I need to meet up with him and this might kill two birds with one stone. Get my trap back and learn something. Win win.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Is Spidey going to be helping out, I need to meet up with him and this might kill two birds with one stone. Get my trap back and learn something. Win win.
    Yep. Steve and Clark will both be there.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

Sorry Scott, my Dad still get's credit for getting me into this. He was taking me through canyons 20 years and more ago. We just didn't know we were canyoneering. We called them Splores. You did however put together the first trip I went on with our current group. Which was more or less my first modern canyon descent. I had been exclusively a climber for a long while. You also definitely introduced me to the forums. Please don't hold this against Scott everyone.

I look forward to helping with this class and meeting many of you. Tell any scout leaders you know in particular, and anyone else.

What you and your dad did doesn't count. You didn't call it "canyoneering". You were just trying not to get killed and having fun. Also, I have been with your dad. He wears Levis. That is not proper. . . . . alright, alright, so I only taught you a new word and about the forums. Can I be your handler, marketing manager, agent? Remember, you gotta throw a bone to the old dogs once in a while. We are trying to remain relevant. It ain't easy.
    Life is Good

What you and your dad did doesn't count. You didn't call it "canyoneering". You were just trying not to get killed and having fun. Also, I have been with your dad. He wears Levis. That is not proper. . . . . alright, alright, so I only taught you a new word and about the forums. Can I be your handler, marketing manager, agent? Remember, you gotta throw a bone to the old dogs once in a while. We are trying to remain relevant. It ain't easy.
    Of course, I've thought of you as my agent since you reported my Santhrax exploits. As for what my dad and I did. You're more right than you know.

I am studying the BSA "Topping Out" manual. The ACA curriculum addresses most of what is contained in the manual. With the additional of one additional field day that focuses on top rope rock climbing, Scout leaders will meet the requirements for Climb on Safely.

If anyone is interested, college credit will also be available.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

Mod Note: The discussion on Spam vs Public Service was split from this thread:

Spam vs Public Service
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?39785

Please keep this thread on topic which is: ACA's Canyon Leader Program

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    Do you get the topping out cert if we do the classes?
    Steve and Clark talked to someone at the Utah National Parks Council and were told the ACA can issue the certificates. We don't normally include top rope climbing in our canyoneering curriculum, but will in an optional field day if enough people tell us they want the certificate.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor