Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishpacking

nice. $15 for a 5 piece rod, how can you go wrong for that? i don't believe in expensive rods. (even though i do have a couple) when i was guiding i would occassionally break out my son's spongebob pole and outfish my clients. used to really piss em off.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    That's the kind of thinking that makes my pack weigh 50+ pounds! Several not so heavy things really start to add up, especially on those high altitude trips when you're packing for such a wide variety of weather conditions. Add in a big camera and some lenses, a tripod perhaps and 30 miles feels like 60. I'm not against using live bait, it really is more to do with weight of packing it in and the need to catch and release the ones that aren't dinner-worthy.

Did you lose the tip to your broken fly rod? If not most companies repair/replace for free. I've snapped two tips off while walking to and from the river/lake. Reddington replaced the whole rod, no charge and Sage repaired it and just made me pay for shipping.
    Maybe that's why my pack is always so heavy! No, actually, I've never taken both along, but maybe I would if I still had my fly rod. And yes, I lost the tip. I just need to buy a whole new rod I guess, as I still have the reel end.

I know what flies have worked with my fly rod, haven't tried the spin rod with bubble yet. Any suggestions? Usually I've had good luck with woolly bugger type wet flies and other larger dominantly black flies. Dry flies don't seem to be as consistent for me in the Uintas but when they do they kill.
    On one trip we went on to Fish Lake, we had guys catching 60-70 greyling per day on the woolly bugger type black flies. This was on spin rods with bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    nice. $15 for a 5 piece rod, how can you go wrong for that? i don't believe in expensive rods. (even though i do have a couple) when i was guiding i would occassionally break out my son's spongebob pole and outfish my clients. used to really piss em off.
    I have a telescoping spin rod with a broken tip that I've caught more fish on than several other rods I've owned. I bought that at a yard sale for one dollar. I tried to fix the tip myself with household goop but that didn't work for long and the tip broke off. I think I threw the tip away and since then I've just been using it broken. What the heck, it catches fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    On one trip we went on to Fish Lake, we had guys catching 60-70 greyling per day on the woolly bugger type black flies. This was on spin rods with bubbles.
    That sounds awesome. I've fished many lakes in the Uintas and have yet to ever catch a Grayling

That sounds awesome. I've fished many lakes in the Uintas and have yet to ever catch a Grayling
    Fish Lake is the place. I myself caught over 40, but then my reel broke, so I quit fishing and watched the other guys hauling in sometimes two at a time. One of these guys has gone there many years in a row and nearly always, the fishing is that great. The grayling are small--maybe 8-12 inches--but when you can catch that many it's still great fun.

I took a quick solo backpacking trip to the Uintas last night. Applied the spin-rod and the new techniques and actually got tired of catching fish it worked so well. I posted a trip report in the backpacking forum.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...893#post407893