Thread: Pleiades - Take 1

Pleiades - Take 1

We just wrapped up Massive Moab V and had our biggest year yet. 5 years ago my friends and I started planning a Moab trip for our close friends. It's since expanded to include friends of friends, their friends, their elementary school pen pals, and a guy from the Ukraine who saw the event on FB and flew out to join (no joke). I always head down a bit early to get some fun in for myself before the masses arrive and this year my fun was supposed to include Pleiades.

I'd read that the water flow was high and none of us had ever done the canyon before, so we kept the group to either the experienced or the athletic. Between the 5 of us we had 27 stitches and multiple cracked ribs from a longboarding\car accident, a broken neck from an aborted flip over a Sonic table, a near-arrest for bridge jumping, and 2 near-citations for breaking into a dog pound. This assortment of characters is what made our decision to turn back fairly surprising. We had all rappelled Battle Creek Falls before, but none of us had ever done a Class C. The water was strong and we weren't quite sure what the rest of the canyon looked like, so we held a quick conference at the bottom of the second waterfall and decided to live to fight another day. The climb out was exhilaratingly slippery and we all rated it at a 5.3 M (mossy). We're planning on heading back in a couple weeks to get it in flowing but not dangerous conditions.

I'm curious - what does the rest of the canyon look like anchor-wise? Are there lots of smaller drops that each need to be anchored and are there places to get away from the water? That's the kind of info we wished we had when we were down there, but Pleiades seems to be one of those canyons nobody divulges information about.

Class C Canyons scare me!!

It's never flowing too fast to miss a good picture opportunity.

A Polynesian in a wetsuit. Priceless.

I'm trying my best to look disapproving.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'll figure out why the pictures aren't working later. Stupid technology.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    your problem is you are trying to link to picture that don't end in .jpg or .gif or .php

you then need to wrap img tags [img][/img]around the link

so your first pic looks something like this

Got it! - thanks trackrunner. That's why I stick to canyons, climbing, and cooking and avoid computers.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    this thread has been forward to BYU honor code office. Isn't that how most honor code violations happen, someone tattletales on you. When you get kicked out let me know and I can give you the contact info of the guy to get you in @ the U law school

edit: add the tattletaling and law school admissions

Don't they sell caffeine at the U? If so, sign me up!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    My eyes!
    x100! haha
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Red Hot Chili Peppers go canyoneering? Helmets are much more protective than socks...

The second to last rappel is the most constricted and therefor the most forceful. It can be a violent, chest-deep good time ;^)

Now I understand why Tom is always so adamant about helmets.

Name:  34337_756014304289_&.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  94.7 KB