Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horse Riders assault female mtn bikers

Horse Riders assault female mtn bikers

So we went up to the Coldwater Canyon Overlook last night:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...anyon-overlook

When we were coming down, we met up with 3 horseback riders coming up. We let them pass and noticed they weren't in the friendliest of moods. I warned them that there was a group of hikers with 2 dogs at the top.

Coming past the dome overlook @ 1/3 mile down from the top, we passed 2 female bikers taking a break. We said hi, thought nothing of it, and continued on our way down.

As we were packing up, the 2 girls showed up and asked if we saw the horses, and began to tell us what had happened;

The 2 girls were climbing on their bikes as they heard the horses coming up behind them. They could tell they wanted to pass, so they yelled out "OK, I'll get up here so I can get over to the side and let you pass" (as there was no place to step aside right there.

The first biker turned around to see her friend get hit with the horse's chest as it pushed past her, and the 2nd horseman pulled on the reigns to swing his horse's HEAD into the biker's shoulder!

That's right, 2 different horses intentionally pushed over this female biker because there wasn't room enough to let her step off the trail.

There wasn't a "sorry" mentioned. They just pushed past. The only words spoken by the first biker after she saw her friend were some rightful insults, and afterwards the horse riders replied "We have the right of way".

It's true that horses have the right of way to everybody, but this only means the other party should yield, not that one party has the right to assault the other as a means of staying on the trail.

Please take note that this is the story I heard directly from the victim, so I may not have some of the verbatim correct.

So as they told us this story, some deputies showed up, as they had been called right after this happened.

We waited around for the horses to get back to the trailhead just to see how it went. We could see one of the riders getting a little "mouthy" with the officer, but we just decided to leave as we assumed nothing much would come of it. It turns out I knew one of the officers from school. In fact he had ridden horses up this very trail.

A side note, I am somewhat of a horseman myself, growing up with them and riding on various trails.

Then I remembered I had caught the horses on my helmetcam. So if you see these 3 jerks around on their horses, beware.
    It's inaudible, but when asked "how's it goin'?" the lady up front mumbles "it's goin'"
    So they were obviously in a bad mood or just hated bikers altogether. We were a bit worried about the hikers up top who had one child on a bike. I hope they didn't give them any problems.

Waiting around to see what happens...

Yeah, they know something's up... They even tried to take another trail when they saw the cops, but it was blocked.

Name:  IMGP8944 (Medium)..JPG
Views: 3426
Size:  90.2 KB

Name:  IMGP8943 (Medium)..JPG
Views: 3323
Size:  85.4 KB

It turns out this is a homemade sign, see the red tape? Besides, this sign doesn't apply to the trail we were on, it's on the fork right from the parking lot.

Name:  IMGP8942 (Medium)..JPG
Views: 3307
Size:  85.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That's some serious douchebaggery. Hope they get charged.

When asked if she wanted to press charges by the officer, I was hoping she would say yes, but she said that she was (I forget... but something to do with the court systems) and that she was tired of being in and out of court with work. She said she didn't want to go through all of that but then she emphasized "They CANNOT get away with this!"

She'll get a phone call, but I hope something came of this. We felt really bad for them.

I just felt so bad as she would explain it, "I can't believe they ran me over with their horse, and then the other one hit me with it's head!" as she would hold her shoulder where the jerk yanked the horse's head into her.

We waited around because Mark and I were wanting to give them a little talk when they came back on their horses, but when the cops showed up it was a good and bad thing for us if you know what I mean. I'd hate to be taken to jail by a cop I went to school with.

I hope they don't get away with it. They must have had run-ins with bikers before. As a side note, the proper way to let horses pass (either direction) is to dismount, remove your helmet, and step off the DOWNHILL side of the trail, all the while talking to the rider. If a horse gets spooked or has to get off the trail, it's better and safer for them to move uphill vs. down. Just some things I've learned from my time working with the Forest Service folks. I'll again emphasize how well my handlebar-attached bear bell works. I came across 2 separate equestrians last night and both thanked me 1) for being able to hear me coming (bell), 2) for moving off the trail properly.
    Are we there yet?

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I am glad it wasn't me. I get mouthy enough with downhill bikers that have tried to pass me going at break neck speeds. I have passed many a horsemen on that trail and never had a problem they were all very friendly. Someone pissed in their oats that morning.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    As a side note, the proper way to let horses pass (either direction) is to dismount, remove your helmet, and step off the DOWNHILL side of the trail, all the while talking to the rider.
    Good points

Wow! Run over by a horse. Sounds like some real dickheads! I would be pissed!

Why are you taking off your helmet???

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
    Keep from spooking the horse.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Wow! Run over by a horse. Sounds like some real dickheads! I would be pissed!
    Apparently, with your helmet on, horses can't tell what you are exactly and they can spook.
    Are we there yet?

You don't wanna see what happens when I get spooked....

bunch of B.S, hopefully they get a talkin to. Sounds like the whole thing could have been prevented with just a little courtesey. I bet it would have went down a little different had it been 2 male bikers they were intimidating.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
    Keep from spooking the horse.
    Especially true if you're wearing a full face helmet and/or body armor. Such freakin getups can get to looking pretty alien atop an 8" travel bike.

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride View Post
    I bet it would have went down a little different had it been 2 male bikers they were intimidating.
    Wouldn't be surprised to find some guys willing to get kicked or stomped in exchange for seeing the rider get thrown.

I hope they decide to press charges. I doubt the courts would have much sympathy for the knuckle-draggin, terracotta-toothed, subliterate rednecks on horseback.

It would serve them right to be sentenced to a couple of hundred hours of community service building and maintaining trails for mountain bikes.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    As a side note, the proper way to let horses pass (either direction) is to dismount, remove your helmet, and step off the DOWNHILL side of the trail, all the while talking to the rider. If a horse gets spooked or has to get off the trail, it's better and safer for them to move uphill vs. down. Just some things I've learned from my time working with the Forest Service folks.
    If you're riding a prey animal for fun, on a trail where there is a high likelihood of encountering two-wheeled riders, then it is the equestrian's responsibility to have chosen a mount trained, seasoned and calm enough to deal with potentially "spooky" things.

Just as we're expected to not be flying about the mountain out of control, so too is it the responsibility of a horse person to ride the appropriate animal for the circumstances which they are likely to encounter during that particular ride. If you're on an animal known to be skittish around bikes, then go ride somewhere where bikes aren't allowed. There are a LOT of places like that...and the number is growing, unfortunately... Or better yet, pick another horse if you just HAVE to be on a popular MTB trail.

Sure, as an MTB'er, if you happen upon a nervous horse -- and equally nervous rider -- then take the appropriate measures so nobody gets hurt. But partially disrobing and stepping off the edge of a cliff every time you run across Scout on the trail is stupid. When I rode years ago I knew my horse hated ATV's and sprinklers (the big kind, in farm fields). So I avoided both when I could, and if I did come upon either then I took appropriate, proactive steps so I didn't get bucked on my head. To lay the entire onus of proper MTB/horse encounter etiquette on the MTB'er is cr@p, IMHO.

If people would simply be more situationally aware, and take considerate, proactive measures to preserve the rights and safety of all parties involved in an encounter, then we'd have far fewer finger-pointing (and, in a state where you can get a concealed carry permit out of a gumball machine, gun slingin') pissing matches in the woods.

...And bear bells do indeed work wonders. I equip myself and my dog each with one, and it cuts down on "surprise encounters" considerably. Except with moose. You're usually climbing higher in the tree as you think about what, exactly, you did to piss one off...

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders View Post
    But partially disrobing and stepping off the edge of a cliff every time you run across Scout on the trail is stupid.

I like Mongo's way of dealing with Horse Riders.
    IF she isn't happy no ones happy. If she isn't happy long enough you'll unhappy with half your stuff.
    http://childbikingutah.blogspot.com/

I rounded a corner to see horses 50 feet ahead this last weekend, about 5 feet ahead was a good place for me to get off the trail... by the time I made that 5 feet this lady on her horse (who had stopped as soon as she saw me too) was screaming at me that they had the right away. I didn't respond because by then I was off my bike waiting. as she passed she was lecturing me about riding etiquette, I told her to calm down and she apologized saying several riders had ran into them that trip without yielding. Her horse was about as skiddish as they come as well. The other 200 horseback riders I passed that day got off the trail for me, urged me on and were overly nice (like most horsemen I encounter).

Yellow fork rocks horse crap!

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal View Post

Yellow fork rocks horse crap!
    So does Green Canyon!
    IF she isn't happy no ones happy. If she isn't happy long enough you'll unhappy with half your stuff.
    http://childbikingutah.blogspot.com/