Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer Auto-Locking Carabiners

5 15.63%
  • I Prefer Screwgate Carabiners

27 84.38%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Auto-Locking vs. Screwgate

I'm a screwgate fan myself. And to answer the question about having used both types: Yes. Extensively. Autolockers certainly have their place, especially in some of the applications I need biners for (ropes/challenge course), but that place is not on my canyoneering harness. I find that they get gummed up easier, are harder to operate 1-handed (especially the three stage, two stage not so bad), and are much harder to clean after. They're also more expensive and canyoneering wears out gear...

Has anyone on here had a chance to play with the BD magnetron in any sort of real situation yet? They're not available for purchase yet, but BD has been showing them off at every trade show for seemingly ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj6Rmw92bLY
    I'm excited (although not necessarily optimistic) to try one in a few canyons.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Branin View Post
    I'm a screwgate fan myself. And to answer the question about having used both types: Yes. Extensively. Autolockers certainly have their place, especially in some of the applications I need biners for (ropes/challenge course), but that place is not on my canyoneering harness. I find that they get gummed up easier, are harder to operate 1-handed (especially the three stage, two stage not so bad), and are much harder to clean after. They're also more expensive and canyoneering wears out gear...

Has anyone on here had a chance to play with the BD magnetron in any sort of real situation yet? They're not available for purchase yet, but BD has been showing them off at every trade show for seemingly ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj6Rmw92bLY
    I'm excited (although not necessarily optimistic) to try one in a few canyons.
    Old thread, but, I still like the autolocker for my main belay/rappel biner. Exception being for a trapped rap device like a ATS or Piranha (mostly cause I haven't bothered to look for one with round rod stock, but, I like that it doesn't autolock when using one of those rap devices).

Yeah, I've used both a bunch. Still do. My light alpine rig uses a screw lock biner. I see someone (Madrock maybe) makes a really light, compact auto locker...hmmm....

I used the BD Magnetron this winter a bit ice climbing. One handed with a glove? Ugh. I had a hard time with it. Requires a bit more finese than I was willing to fiddle with. Maybe if they tweak it a bit, but, for now, didn't care for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Thank you for your post, sir, and welcome to the Bogley.
    I am unclear on what you are saying here: don't use locking biners; or don't find screwgates reliable... ?
    Basically, I'm saying that I love locking carabiners for my own use for just about any climbing / rapping activity. I'm also saying that even though screwgates are extremely reliable from a hardware perspective, they can easily be left unlocked by exhausted or ill-trained canyoneers. I've seen people start rapping down and then say "oh wait, I need to lock my screwgate!" That's scary. Regardless, if I'm leading a group I just make sure people use a buddy type system to do a quick check of each other's gear before going on rappel and I have newbies show me that they are secure before rappelling.