Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera Backpack

Camera Backpack

So my Mountainsmith Borealis AT stated having some issues so I returned it and put those funds towards the purchase of a Clik Elite Hiker. Should be here soon along my my new camera ...
    I was unable to find the pack anywhere locally so I went ahead and purchased it sight unseen.

http://www.clikelite.com/shop/large-hiker/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That looks like a sweet pack but pricey. Would love to know how it works out for you, I need to get one before I leave for Alaska next month. Just curious, what camera are you upgrading to?

I got that pack for $214 and considering I just got a $150 refund for my old pack it feels like I only paid 70 bucks for it.
    Just picked up a 7D

7D... very nice! That sweet pack got me thinking. How do all of you SLR-toting Bogleyites prefer to carry those big cameras while you're actually hiking down a trail? I've seen those chest packs and some similar things but never tried them. I hate not having mine ready right away. Lately I've been using a Black Rapid strap. Works great but I have to rig a little piece of velcro to secure the camera to my backpack waste strap when I don't want it swinging around. It's also made using trekking poles less convenient. And last, no dirt/weather protection but I do throw it in a Zing cover if it gets nasty.

Link: http://www.blackrapid.com/

I use a holster bag.
    In the middle on the back of the bag is belt loop where I attach a biner long ways, then I attach it to the main should/arm strap of my pack. Because the belt loop is in the middle of the bag I can slide it down near my hip and there is no sway or swing at all. To get the camera out of the bag I just slide it up the strap to my chest to pull it out... then I let go and its slides down to my hip.
    Seriously simplistic, works very well and keeps the camera protected.

I have really been thinking about this guy due to it fitting the camera with a grip. http://www.clikelite.com/shop/large-chest-pack/
    There is no belt loop but I think I could rig it up to work in a similar manner as I mentioned above.

I wonder how that Clik chest pack would feel with that big back pad compressed under a 30-40 pound backpack...

I use the Optech USA Backpack/Reporter connectors hooked up to some longer straps - the camera hangs from the frame of the backpack - not the neck, and is always at the ready. If bad weather looks like it is coming, I put a couple of bags around it and stuff it in my pack. I pack my extra lens in a lowe-pro padded lens case and just have it in the pack. This system is the best by far that I have found as my camera is always at the ready and I can use my big expedition pack and not worry about the camera. I have had a long zoom attached as I hike, and even then there isn't that much sway to the camera, I just strap it a little different.

http://www.optechusa.com/product/det...ATEGORY_ID=11#
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Nice. What's all that weigh in at?

I didn't realize that pack was for backpacking until now. Very nice. Also curious about weight... do you have enough room for a tent in there too? Looks like it could be small for a mixed weather trip but perfect for a desert/nice weather trip.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    I didn't realize that pack was for backpacking until now. Very nice. Also curious about weight... do you have enough room for a tent in there too? Looks like it could be small for a mixed weather trip but perfect for a desert/nice weather trip.
    I could be wrong, but it looks like the 'tarp' it's all sitting on is a bivy bag and the black stuff sack an ultralight down bag maybe? All and all it's a pretty sweet setup!

I didn't realize that pack was for backpacking until now.
    Really its my general camera bag and day hiker but I figured due to its size why not. I don't own a scale so I am not 100% of the weight. I would guess around 25-30lb.

6lb tripod
    6lb pack
    3lb bag
    2lb camera
    2lb in lenses
    ect....

Changed the game plan up a bit.
    I am going to replace the gear loops on the bottom of the pack so once I get 6 more inches I can strap on a compression sack with my bivy and sleeping bag then move the sleeping pad to the top. This will free up a lot of space inside the main compartment

So how is the new pack? Big enough for backpacking? I really need to find something and get it this week but I don't think I need it to be quite as big... looking into some of Clik's smaller options.

One more question Summit, what didn't you like about that Mountainsmith Borealis AT?

One more question Summit, what didn't you like about that Mountainsmith Borealis AT?
    It was a great camera back just not really a hiking bag. The lack of support/frame and water bottle pockets were the major issues and kept my hiking distances with this pack under 3miles. Also, I am a bigger guy at 6'2" 250lb and it always felt a little small on me.

As for the Clik ... I am not ready to use it for backpacking, maybe once I get a smaller sleeping bag I can give it a go.
    I have been packing for timp this weekend and I can stuff everything in the clik (its a really tight fit) or fill the extra room in my 5200ci pack with beer and a hammock... obviously I am going with the latter.

That sounds like the Mountainsmith wouldn't be good for me either then, I'm about 6'4" and 270. So is the Clik Hiker you bought possibly too large/heavy for short day hikes? For my immediate need I want to be able to pack my camera, a couple lenses, small tripod, 13" laptop and some personal things, water, jacket, etc. I doubt I ever would want to use the same pack to backpack but it would be nice to double it as a day hiker. It sucks no one sells these things locally, I hate having to judge by online pics and descriptions and I can't find a lot of reviews on the Clik bags.

So far I have day hiked 20+ miles with the Clik elite and love it. I am able to pack my camera, two lenses, batteries, cleaning supplies, tripod, 3 light weight jackets, extra clothes for the kids, snacks, water bottle, and water filter with a bit of room to spare. I am not afraid to carry a heavy load and tend to over pack on every outing... its a gift really. If you want to meet up sometime we can hike and shoot so you can take it for a test drive.

So I dropped by REI on 33rd south tonight and what do I find? One Clik Elite Hiker in-stock and on clearance for $214. SWEET BAG! Before I saw it I was a little worried about it being too big but now I think it's perfect, especially for the upcoming week I'll be spending in Alaska. But man I would still love to go shoot with you sometime, I have much to learn!

Score!