Thread: Broken Bones

Broken Bones

It's been 6 weeks since I fractured my Tibia in The Subway and I'm really itching to get back into a canyon. I can walk around all day without pain but I don't think I could run and walking down stairs still scares me (I think the long and extremely painful hike out left a permanent mental scar), twisting my foot is a big no no right now.

How long should I wait before getting back into things? I don't want to miss the best months of the season because of an injury :(.

I would ask my doc but he won't talk to me for less than $150.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahAdventureGuide View Post
    I don't want to miss the best months of the season because of an injury :(.
    September, October and November are still a bit aways... be patient, oh not-so-patient one!

Wait until your doctor says it is okay. Pay the $150.

I broke my ankle in 2001. Impatient to get back at it, I started scrambling around while still in my walking cast. Scolded by a certain orthopedic surgeon from Murray, Utah, who happened to be a student in a course I taught while still in that cast. My ankle did not heal completely and still hurts from time to time. Wish I had been more patient and listened to professional advice.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

A co-pay for a Dr. visit is usually only $20, hope you are not putting yourself at risk while uninsured?
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

"Uninsured"? What is this "uninsured"?

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    "Uninsured"? What is this "uninsured"?

That's just cold.
    Deb

I'm 22 weeks post ankle surgery and not weight bearing. I started weight bearing a couple of weeks ago and then got a stress fracture. (no fault of my own). Now I have to wait 2 to 4 more weeks before I can start weight bearing again.

Go slow and becareful.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

I would pay the $150 and get some real help. It's better than prolonging the pain and causing possible future damage.

I hope this doesn't get off on a tangent, but.....

A co-pay for a Dr. visit is usually only $20, hope you are not putting yourself at risk while uninsured?
    Most people aren't that lucky.

I know for our insurance, our deductable is $3000 individual and $6000 family and not a penny is paid until we meet it. After we meet the $3000, we still have to pay 30% of Dr. bills. We've been lucky until this year. Our patient responsibility is about $7000 since March.

Most people in the United States aren't lucky enough to have $20 co-pays. I know very few people that do (but on the other hand if you are in a big city you can get on an HMO). On the other hand, I do know that most people have better insurance than we do, though I can't complain since I'm thankful to have a job.

Wait it out. I had 2 pins "Cancer related" in my Femur and wanted to ski something terrible the next 3 years. My doc told me dont you dare!!!!! He said if I broke it there would be no fixing it and he wouldnt do it if I did break something again. It sucked those 3 years but now that I can ski again I am thankful I waited. Dont wreck the only body you are gonna ever have. Not worth it.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I pushed my knee surgery, was desperate to know that I could still ski after taking it out. DON'T PUSH IT!!!! It will heal better if you take time. You will hike again give it plenty of time, do not do it until you are told you can and then TAKE IT EASY!
    Chere'

Broken Bone

I am an eye surgeon so broken bones are out of my area. However, try calling your doctor's office and ask to speak to the nurse if they have one. Tell them you misplaced the paper work regarding when you can bear weight and exercise on your tibia. Perhaps you can get the information you need without visiting the orthopedic surgeon. Also remember, you need some rehab to build your muscles back up before going down canyon. Oh one other issue-NO JUMPING OFF THINGS!!

Ken