Thread: Red Pine lake up little cottonwood "Hope somebody went there last weekend!!!!!

Red Pine lake up little cottonwood "Hope somebody went there last weekend!!!!!

I am hoping to go backpack up there Friday night. Did anyone go there this weekend????

Please tell be its campable.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
    I am hoping to go backpack up there Friday night. Did anyone go there this weekend????

Please tell be its campable.

Thanks
    This weekend I took the hike up to White Pine and on my way back I checked out the Red Pine trail to the lake although I didn't go around the lake. Large sections of the trail are covered in snow higher up. I wish I had brought some snow shoes. It is very muddy in places also but absolutely amazing time to be up there with all the water. There were enough open dry sections that you could find a place or two to camp from what I saw. .
    Don't believe everything you think.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

Bingo. Thanks. I am hoping that there is enough wind and sun and temps this week to make a dry place up there. Sounds like we ought to be ok especially if the temps stay warm at night. I am taking 2 other leaders and only 4 or 5 scouts up there. I was nott looking forward to having to run up there after work some night this week to check conditions.

Do you think 12 and 13 year old scouts can make the trip with a pack?

We will start up the trail @ 4:40 ish Friday night and the weather looks perfect.

Thanks so much for answering my deperate pleas.........

Quote Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
    Bingo. Thanks. I am hoping that there is enough wind and sun and temps this week to make a dry place up there. Sounds like we ought to be ok especially if the temps stay warm at night. I am taking 2 other leaders and only 4 or 5 scouts up there. I was nott looking forward to having to run up there after work some night this week to check conditions.

Do you think 12 and 13 year old scouts can make the trip with a pack?

We will start up the trail @ 4:40 ish Friday night and the weather looks perfect.

Thanks so much for answering my deperate pleas.........
    Warm temps this week should make a big difference up there. I would think the scouts will have no problem. Watch the streams coming down the Pine chutes. They are running high and fast with some big waterfalls.
    Don't believe everything you think.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

Thanks again. I love this time of year, but have never taken Scouts on any of my adventures into the highcountry. We have done lots of other things but nothing where having the ability to get somewhere and have a place to set up tents was as questionable.

We will go for it and I sure hope we see some sweet waterfalls as well as enough snow still around to make thinks pretty.

Thanks from another French guy who spells it Le Mon...

Coincidentally last night I exchanged some comments on flickr with someone who turned around before the lake on Saturday.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/houstonryan/4716581222/

Well that went just about perfect. Boys had a blast and we made it up and down with no more than a boy with very small cut on a hand from grabbing a tree while sliding down the snow.

Trailhead @ 5:00 and strolling into camp @ 8:30
    It was very warm at night. Did not fall asleep till 3:00 or so. I had a 20 degree bag and wish I had AC in the tent. It just didnt ever cool off.

The snow started at the Maybird/Redpine turn where you cross the river to Maybird or go up to Red Pine. Great snow for hiking over as it was good and solid.

Camped on the ridge above Red Pine and stayed out of the winds that howled at time through the night. It was 53 @ 5:30 so it never really cooled off.

Great trip and a great time to be up there.

Wish I could have ditched the boys and scrambled up to Pfieferhorn as the snow on the slope across the lake would have made for fairly good route.

I was hoping to go up to Upper Red Pine this morning but we were short on time. Perfect time to be up there. Go quick before all the snow is gone.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Hiked up there today.. pretty awesome.

How far up did you go? I could not sleep Friday night and was very tempted to wander up to Upper Red Pine as the full moon made it look like someone had parked with their high beams on and it was VERY bright out. Would have been a nice little walk, but with Scouts sleeping not the best idea.

Any new pics???

Do you know if those lakes hold any trout?

Thanks!

One of the guys who went with us went fishing and got a few bites, but no fish. I would be surprised if they have no fish in them.