Thread: Top 10 Largest Stadiums In The World (by capacity)

Top 10 Largest Stadiums In The World (by capacity)

[INDENT]http://www.worldsbiggests.com/2010/0...-world-by.html

Saw this last night and thought it was pretty cool. Lots of American college football stadiums in there. The two coolest facts I saw were that Beaver Stadium opened in 1960 with a capacity of "only" 46,000+ and that the Melbourne Cricket Grounds opened in 1853.

1. Rungrado May Day Stadium (150,000 capacity)

Rungrado May Day Stadium

The monumental Rungrado May Day Stadium in Pyongyang, North Korea was built in 1989 and seats a staggering 150,000 people. Resembling a blossom flower, it has 16 arches arranged in a ring. In 1995, an incredible 190,000 people crammed in for a professional wrestling event. It is not the only large stadium in Pyongyang - the Kim-Il Sung Stadium, with a capacity of 70,000, also resides there.

2. Salt Lake Stadium (120,000)

Salt Lake Stadium

Salt Lake Stadium (officially known as Yuva Bharati Krirangan, Stadium of the Indian Youth) is located in Salt Lake City, a district of Kolkata in India. Built in 1984, the stadium boasts a capacity of 120,000 over a 3-tier construction and is mainly used for football and athletics events.

3. Beaver Stadium (107,282)

Beaver Stadium

Beaver Stadium is the home of the Penn State Nittany Lions and is located at the Pennsylvania State University. Assembled in its current location in 1960 with a capacity of just 46,284, Beaver Stadium went through numerous expansions until its most recent expansion in 2001 which brought it to its current capacity of 107,282.

4. Michigan Stadium (106,201)

Nicknamed "The Big House", this is the American Football stadium of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Built in 1927, it had an original capacity of 72,000 which has gradually increased over the years through various expansions, maintaining its position as the largest American Football stadium. A very popular stadium, it has incredibly not had a sub-100,000 attendance since 1975.

5. Estadio Azteca (105,000)

Estadio Azteca

Estadio Azteca is a stadium in Mexico City, Mexico. It is the official home stadium of the Mexico national football team and the Mexican team Club Am

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

depends on the definition of stadium.

bristol motor speedway seats 160,000. aka the bullring

Name:  bristolaerial..jpg
Views: 19444
Size:  209.8 KB

indy seats 257,000
    texas seats 191,000
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

and about melbourne cricket ground. all i can say is, cricket, the only game that makes baseball look fast.

This makes it the fifth largest non-racing stadium in the United States and the ninth largest non-racing stadium in the world.
    The article keeps referring to "non-racing stadium"... so I assume they were excluded for some reason or whim....

opps, i missed that. that's what i get for not reading the last freaking line.

Maracana Stadium, in Rio De Janeiro, during the 1950 World Cup Championship had an estimated 200,000 people. Officially it seated 180,000 but after an accident in 92 (part of the upper stands fell killing 4) they reduced its seating capacity to half of what it wasName:  Maracan%C3%A3_Stad&#.jpg
Views: 14460
Size:  133.3 KB