Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandtrap(initial thoughts)

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

Sandtrap(initial thoughts)

Took the sandtrap out into a canyon yesterday. Tested it in several different configurations--What I've found..........

I quite like this idea and consider this device to be a very good improvement as an anchoring system over a potshot, or series of potshots. The series of potshots is mostly reliant on weight, the sandtrap uses weight, but mainly benefits from friction. Be forewarned, if you do not understand sequencing and the proper way to load a marginal anchor, it will leave you badly injured or dead.
    You also need a good understanding of the role rope bending and rock friction reduce the load applied to marginal or any anchors.
    We backed up this system every time for the people in front of the group, last person was the lightest/smoothest rappeller.(not necessarily the same) They were the one who kept backing off the equalization of sandtrap and meat backup, so as soon as it was the last persons time to rap, the system had been tested and the last person had a level of confidence in the sandtrap on it's own.(same sequence with most marginal anchors)
    On one rappel, 15'+/-, I had lamar come down within a foot or so of the bottom(very controlled)at that point, I had the person bounce(freehanging) as much as possible, the sandtrap held up through this assault. Of note-on this rappel, the sandtrap was placed directly upcanyon of a rather large rounded boulder that was mostly buried in the stream course.
    The amazing thing to me was the ease of pulls, I purposely set the sandtrap up above a couple of chokestones to see if they were prone to sticking in such a setup. To my surprise, once the sandtrap dumped it's load above these obstacles, the pull was almost effortless. The pulling/emptying is a great feature.
    I used rapides on both the pull side and rap side and would consider this a must on a questionable pull.(probably not a bad idea for most situations)
    Like I said, this was my first time using the device, and I'm sure I've missed some intricacies that will become more obvious through time. I never had a chance to load the entire sheet, each time I loaded the front half and folded the upcanyon section over it.
    I want to try loading the whole sheet and using only 2 tie in points.
    Overall a seemingly very nice, lightweight piece of gear that can easily be carried through a canyon. I look forward to finding more uses for this device.
    Kurt

edit-This is the Imlay Canyon Gear sandtrap, I have recently purchased several items from them and have been impressed with the communication, promptness of shipping and quality of shipping.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I haven't tried mine out yet but each time I hear positives on the trap gives me warm and fuzzies that I might not go splat.

I have produced a 20 minute instructional video(too long to post on YouTube)on the MaxxiPad. It is available for $12 including S/H, or free with an order of a MaxxiPad. Call Steve at 435-669-3094 for more info. By the way, I am the original inventor of the MaxxiPad(aka sandtrap)
    Be safe out there.....
    Steve.

I'm glad the name changed to sandtrap. "Hey get out the maxxipad so we can ghost this rap"
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    I'm glad the name changed to sandtrap. "Hey get out the maxxipad so we can ghost this rap"
    Plus you often hike with women, it would be terrible if, due to a miscommunication, she packed the wrong maxxipad.

Ummm, guys? The name didn't change. The version Tom sells is the Sandtrap. The version that Steve - the inventor - sells is called the MaxxiPad.

FYI

haha oh no. I hope I didn't offend anyone then! Well I won't forget the name maxxipad anytime soon! I can never walk down isle 7 without thinking about canyoneering now
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    haha oh no. I hope I didn't offend anyone then! Well I won't forget the name maxxipad anytime soon! I can never walk down isle 7 without thinking about canyoneering now

FYI: Steve's now has an instructional video of his MaxxiPad available for free on Youtube....

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Interesting...a new toy!

But I gotta tell ya, I do not like the name MaxxiPad - wouldn't there be some type of copyright infringement issue with this name?

I could reuse a sandtrap over and over again with more peace of mind.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    Interesting...a new toy!

But I gotta tell ya, I do not like the name MaxxiPad - wouldn't there be some type of copyright infringement issue with this name?

I could reuse a sandtrap over and over again with more peace of mind.

Being politically correct

Well, how about we just call it "The Pad"? The name MaxxiPad was suggested by a friend and my wife and I, having a sense of humor, adopted the name. But I am from South Africa and my wife is from Holland so maybe it's a cultural thing.......
    But all that aside, there is no copyright infringement, it is spelt differently and describes a different product entirely. I have been all through the Trademark process and also the patent application process on another product that I invented and developed. I could not afford an attorney, so did EVERYTHING myself over many months. I have applied for a PPA on "The Pad" for use in an entirely different scenario from which I hopefully can make some money. By the way, you can check out my other product at the site www.tailgaterstrap.com .......maybe you need one of these too...

I too have an issue with the name Maxxipad. In an effort to preserve some sense of decorum and retain whatever little bit of wholesome reputation I may have, I will refrain from making more comments. I really wish you would consider a different name also. It is just kind of icky. If it is too late now, maybe for your second version? Please?
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by sasteve49 View Post
    Well, how about we just call it "The Pad"? The name MaxxiPad was suggested by a friend and my wife and I, having a sense of humor, adopted the name. But I am from South Africa and my wife is from Holland so maybe it's a cultural thing.......
    But all that aside, there is no copyright infringement, it is spelt differently and describes a different product entirely. I have been all through the Trademark process and also the patent application process on another product that I invented and developed. I could not afford an attorney, so did EVERYTHING myself over many months. I have applied for a PPA on "The Pad" for use in an entirely different scenario from which I hopefully can make some money. By the way, you can check out my other product at the site www.tailgaterstrap.com .......maybe you need one of these too...
    Careful Steve, you only have 14 posts. Beware the egotistical heavy handed moderator. He's watching you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
    Careful Steve, you only have 14 posts. Beware the egotistical heavy handed moderator. He's watching you.
    But he hasn't been a "whiny bitch", so that factor goes way down...

N = post count
    Y = Years Member
    W = whiny little bitch factor

Y(N+10)/W > 20
    Haven't said it, Steve, but welcome! Enjoyed the Pad videos. Very cool to see it in action.

Y(N+10)/W > 20

1(14+10)/0 = One is unable to Divide by zero = a failure to clarify how the whiny little bitch factor works = Mods don't like Spidey = get over it :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Thanks Kev, appreciate the support. Orders have been going crazy. Each one will be accompanied by the video dvd. I am going to have to raise the price though unfortunately. My bud who makes them started as a favor, but now he is swamped so needs me to pay a fair whack for his expertise. Fair enough. I have now only 6 left at this price of $79 plus S/H of $6.00. Then the price will match the other version out there that is doing well too.
    Be safe,
    Steve. 435-669-3094.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TooeleCherokee View Post
    Y(N+10)/W > 20

....Mods don't like Spidey = get over it :)
    hey now.......

I like Steve.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

So what constitutes a rookie on Bogley? Number of posts or number of canyons done.......?