Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercur/Ophir/Stockton Ride

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar

Mercur/Ophir/Stockton Ride

Took the quad out again today to do some more riding in the Mercur/Ophir/Stockton area. My goal was to explore every side trail I could find.

Even though I've been to this location at least a dozen times, I was surprised today when I found some trails that lead to new and interesting places.

The first new side trail was Above and just North of Jacob City. The trail climbed and climbed until it reached the peak of the mountain over Jacob City (north of). From there, a trail pressed North and would have dumped me into Soldier Canyon. Unfortunately, I had to turn around as a huge herd of bulls (horns and all) were blocking the trail, and I was in no mood to be gored by angry bulls (they were at 9800' elevation and seemed wild).

The next was N/E of Jacob City and in the neighborhood of N 40 24.034 W 112 14.720 . From this location, it would appear that I could drop all the way down to the far end of Ophir Canyon. Again, I had to turn around as a large herd of cows was blocking the trail and they refused to move.

While almost to Soldier Canyon, I ran into several members of the Northern Utah ATV Club (Gary & Co.). Thanks for stopping by, guys!

A few photos from my high elevation riding today:

2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice pics! I was up into Dry Canyon on Thursday, at least I think that's where I was--I didn't have a map and had never been there before, so I'm not sure, but I got into it from the Ophir Canyon road, right down near where the road to Ophir begins off of the main highway. I headed north on a gravel road, maybe for a couple of miles continuing north, and passed a sign that said Jacob City was below me, to the west. Not long after that the road I was on turned east up a canyon which I assumed to be Dry Canyon. Can you confirm this?

Anyway, I was up there in my 4runner, looking for rocks. Nice area. I wonder if I could get my 4runner up on top where you were--or is that ATV only? There seems to be some question about that area in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    Nice pics! I was up into Dry Canyon on Thursday, at least I think that's where I was--I didn't have a map and had never been there before, so I'm not sure, but I got into it from the Ophir Canyon road, right down near where the road to Ophir begins off of the main highway. I headed north on a gravel road, maybe for a couple of miles continuing north, and passed a sign that said Jacob City was below me, to the west. Not long after that the road I was on turned east up a canyon which I assumed to be Dry Canyon. Can you confirm this?

Anyway, I was up there in my 4runner, looking for rocks. Nice area. I wonder if I could get my 4runner up on top where you were--or is that ATV only? There seems to be some question about that area in general.
    yep sounds like dry canyon to me :).. I don't know how built your runner is etc but I have been on top of some of those ridges in my Jeep so I would assume your runner can make it :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    Looks like a lot of fun! I love busting through late-season snow.
    Blog | FB

anyways I could get the cords for that old bus?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    anyways I could get the cords for that old bus?
    I'll bring the tannerite!
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by udink View Post
    looks like a lot of fun! I love busting through late-season snow.
    [b]n 40

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    I'll bring the tannerite!

Love your reports Brute. Make me want a quad something terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I knew you guys would come around. Lez do this!

Quote Originally Posted by TooeleCherokee View Post
    yep sounds like dry canyon to me :).. I don't know how built your runner is etc but I have been on top of some of those ridges in my Jeep so I would assume your runner can make it :)
    Stock, but good tires, manual trans, and the four-wheel drive works great. I've just gotta find which road will get me up on top. That road that goes up Dry Canyon itself ends, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    Stock, but good tires, manual trans, and the four-wheel drive works great. I've just gotta find which road will get me up on top. That road that goes up Dry Canyon itself ends, doesn't it?
    Well it kinda ends.. if you mean it turns into 3 other possible roads that is. Once you get to Jacob city there is a route that heads basically north up some switchbacks and then T's east/west (west takes you to a nice vista and a few other little trails - east takes you around the mountain to stockton but I don't know if it is still open for full size rigs?) There is also a route just to the west/south of Jacob city - I have an idea of where it goes but can't be sure..
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Well it kinda ends.. if you mean it turns into 3 other possible roads that is. Once you get to Jacob city there is a route that heads basically north up some switchbacks and then T's east/west (west takes you to a nice vista and a few other little trails - east takes you around the mountain to stockton but I don't know if it is still open for full size rigs?) There is also a route just to the west/south of Jacob city - I have an idea of where it goes but can't be sure..
    I sure wouldn't want to get a 4Runner up that route toward Stockton/Soldier Canyon. I honestly don't think the trail is wide enough. One wrong bump of the wheel and its a 5000' drop off the side of the mountain. The route West/South of Jacob City just drops you back down to the desert floor and puts you back onto the Jacob City Loop trail toward Stockton.

I sure wouldn't want to get a 4Runner up that route toward Stockton/Soldier Canyon. I honestly don't think the trail is wide enough. One wrong bump of the wheel and its a 5000' drop off the side of the mountain.
    I agree it is tight but it can be done.. I will tell you that when there is snow on some of those slopes it sure gets the pucker factor going that is for sure :)

The route West/South of Jacob City just drops you back down to the desert floor and puts you back onto the Jacob City Loop trail toward Stockton.
    Ha ha I am a tard.. I mean east and south of Jacob city.. west and south is back down dry canyon where you just came from..

(Please note the last time I was up there was 3 years ago and trails can get narrower real quick if they don't get used by full sized rigs :) )

Ha ha I am a tard.. I mean east and south of Jacob city.. west and south is back down dry canyon where you just came from..
    That will put you just between Ophir Canyon and Mercur, just off hwy 73.. unless you continue South, then it will take you down into the Mercur area (Off Limits) and/or on Manning Canyon (that restricted road) that will take you just East of the main 5mile Pass staging area.

That will put you just between Ophir Canyon and Mercur, just off hwy 73.. unless you continue South, then it will take you down into the Mercur area (Off Limits) and/or on Manning Canyon (that restricted road) that will take you just East of the main 5mile Pass staging area.
    Ok.. I think we are talking about different places.. anyhow I suck at giving directions without a map so here is a KMZ :)
    Vista Route is the route to the South East of Jacob city.. I don't know how full size friendly this is.
    Jacob City to point route is from 73 to Jacob city and then up the east/north route.. the other route in there is Jacob city to Stockton..
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ok.. I think we are talking about different places.. anyhow I suck at giving directions without a map so here is a KMZ :)
    By the way, you can upload your kmz's and kml's to Google Maps, then embed them here.

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=40.391128,-112.320054&spn=0.135974,0.264702&t=h&z=12&msid=100749669156101003180.0004898e8c25b54a30f42

Sweet TR, Jim! I'd still like to get up atop the Oquirrh's one day in the near future. Looks like great times!
    "All roads, all codes!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman70 View Post
    Sweet TR, Jim! I'd still like to get up atop the Oquirrh's one day in the near future. Looks like great times!
    I have to go back up there anyway to finish exploring those two side trails and to replace a geocache container that's been muggled. Maybe we can figure out a way to drag you up there too, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Reedus View Post
    I knew you guys would come around. Lez do this!