Thread: First Bogley Post-Das Boot and Behunin

First Bogley Post-Das Boot and Behunin

I wanted to share our excursion from the earlier part of the week.

We had a permit for Das Boot for June 13 but when we picked it up the
    backcountry desk also had a permit for the Subway so we took both. We met our
    shuttle at 6:30 AM at the Left Fork Parking lot. Saturday was wet but Sunday was great. Unseasonably cool with slight chance of T-showers in the afternoon.

This was our first excursion into Das Boot. Unfortunately we did not stay high and thrashed around for an hour and a half. I got a few micro punctures in my dry suit which I had put on thinking that we were about to bag finding the correct start and just force the issue off of one of the many rotten logs with slings. Fortunately canyoneers down in Das Boot walked by and got us straightened out. Once we
    found the right entry, life was good. Das Boot was a blast. Waist deep to swims. Loved the down climbing. The Subway had a fair bit of water in it and was missing some of the musical sounds that occur in lower flow situtations.

I looked at my watch when we hit the dinosaur tracks at 5:30PM. We had intended to do the Right Fork in a day on this trip. We recognized the futility of that.
    Instead, we did the West Ridge Trail hike from Lava Point on Monday June 14 and gazed longingly into the Right Fork. At the top of Behunin we realized we could have carried our gear down the West Rim and lighten our load considerably for our trip down Behunin the next day.

We picked up our Behunin permit that evening. The ranger at the backcountry
    desk told us that the only other people doing Behunin on June 15 was Tom Jones
    with a partner. We were hoping that we might get an earily start and meet him
    as he passed us. We entered Behunin at about 10:40AM. Never saw him.

We were thrilled with Behunin. It is hard to image two canyons more different than Behunin and Das Boot. Das Boot was a blast. However the exposure in Behunin definitely captured the attention and it was a much more serious affair.

Photos are attached.

Ken Steinsapir
    Attached Images Attached Images                     

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice first post and great pictures!

Welcome to Bogley!
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Great first post!

Like the pictures, especially that rope toss action.

Thanks!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Cool, thanks Ken. Otta get ya some of dem rope bag thingees...

Tom

Blog Entries
    In das, was there any flow at all?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Flow in Das Boot

Das Boot was flowing, absolutely. I would not call it clear but it was definitely fresh and clean. It rained the day before on Sat June 12.

For Tom, regarding the rope bags, I have found it wise in my marriage to triage my equipment purchases so as not to call to much attention to my proclivities. Rope bag, sure, its on the list man.

Ken

Excellent first post.