Thread: Ever been attacked by someone with a spear while hiking?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Crazy story.... I hike near this area all the time along the BST. I stuck a pistol in my fanny pack today for my morning hike.

Hiker attacked by man with makeshift spear
    June 16th, 2010 @ 11:02pm

SANDY -- Sandy police are searching in the foothills around the Bell Canyon trail for a man who stabbed a hiker on the trail with a makeshift spear and then ran off.
    Police say the suspect had what appeared to be a bamboo walking stick. He pulled off the top, exposing a metal rod with a fine tip, which he used like a spear.

"The spear, we're calling it, actually went through the top of his arm and came out the lower portion of his arm," said Sgt. Troy Arnold with the Sandy Police Department.

The 40-year-old victim was walking down the trail in Bell Canyon near 10200 South and Wasatch Boulevard around 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.
    He told police he met the attacker, who was walking up the trail. They had a brief and friendly conversation, he said.

A few moments later, he noticed the suspect turned around and was following him. When the hiker asked the man what was going on, the suspect started talking incoherently and attacked.

The hiker said the man jabbed at him several times before stabbing him completely through the arm, then running off.

"It's an unnerving event, especially because he was just out recreating and was walking down the trail and was cordial and decent to the person," explains Arnold. "He just didn't understand why he would attack him unprovoked."

The victim ran down the trail and called 911 from his cell phone. Police were there when he reached the trailhead but were unable to capture the attacker.

"At this point we want to reassure people we are looking for the suspect," Arnold said. "It was a very random and unprovoked attack, and so we take it very seriously. We want to make sure whoever this person is, that we find them, locate them and keep that area safe so people can continue to recreate up there."

The victim was taken to Alta View hospital and was listed in fair condition.
    The attacker is described as a white man in his 20s, approximately 6 feet tall with a thin build. He had short brown hair and was wearing light colored cargo pants, a white shirt and a brown hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Crazy story.... I hike near this area all the time along the BST. I stuck a pistol in my fanny pack today for my morning hike.
    I was thinking of hiking up around Lower Bell next week. I'd better bring my recurve along.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I stuck a pistol in my fanny pack today for my morning hike.
    That's one step up from a purse

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    That's one step up from a purse
    AGREED!!!

But it was the only thing I had handy to stick my jennings in and I figured a purse was better then a stab wound.

The other down side of the jennings is you have to remember to double tap the head. But not get so close that the cops can tell you were standing over the top of them with your foot on their chest as they bleed out from the first ceter of mass bullet hole.

Name:  340px-Wikijennin&#103.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  26.5 KB

Blog Entries
    They caught the attacker today.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Man arrested in Sandy trail stabbing
    By Lindsay Whitehurst
    The Salt Lake Tribune

Sandy police have arrested a man in connection with a Wednesday stabbing on Bells Canyon Trail.

The 23-year-old is accused of using a makeshift spear to wound another man as he passed him on the trail about 1:30 p.m., said Sandy police Sgt. Troy Arnold.

The assailant spoke in "gibberish" before stabbing the victim, a 40-year-old Sandy man, in the arm near the elbow with a bamboo walking stick topped with a piece of sharpened metal, Arnold said. The metal went all the way though the victim's arm. He went to Alta View Hospital with a minor injury, but was released later that afternoon.

Police found the suspect after someone recognized the description of the man and the weapon on a newscast. He was arrested without incident on suspicion of aggravated assault at his home Wednesday night.

The attack was apparently random, Arnold said. The assailant said he felt threatened, though the victim did not do anything, Arnold said.

"We believe that was just his personal perception," he said.

Man with Spear almost attacks again.

Witnesses saw the Spear Man come up to a gentleman wearing a fanny pack, the attacker promptly dropped his spear and ran away laughing.

And instead of fanny pack I prefer the term "man purse"...

Bogley BigShot
    Not to scare the young little boys in here, but I did have an erotic dream about that once. ;)

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

about what? a guy stabbing you with his spear or a man purse