Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple, AT&T get record number of iPhone orders

Apple, AT&T get record number of iPhone orders

I got mine yesterday after 20 attempts...the buzz is back.

-------

NEW YORK (AP) - Apple Inc. said Wednesday that it and its phone company partners took orders for more than 600,000 iPhone 4s in one day, the highest number it's ever seen. The companies stopped taking orders for shipment by the June 24 launch day in the U.S.

The crush of orders sets the scene for long lines and potential chaos at stores when the next version of the iPhone is released. Judging by previous years, shortages could last through the summer.

Apple and its partners started taking orders for the iPhone 4 on Tuesday. On Wednesday morning, AT&T Inc., the exclusive carrier in the U.S., had stopped taking orders, saying it had to focus on fulfilling orders already received.

At midday Wednesday, Apple was accepting orders only for black models, and would only guarantee shipment by July 2. The white model was unavailable for order.
    Dallas-based AT&T said it received 10 times as many pre-launch orders on the first day for the new iPhone model as it did for the previous model last year.

AT&T also said it logged more than 13 million visits to a Web page where current customers can check if they're eligible for a subsidized upgrade to the new phone. That number was three times higher than the previous record for upgrade checks.

The price of the phone starts at $199. Customers who aren't eligible for upgrades will pay $200 more.

Last year, Apple sold more than 1 million units of the new model, the 3GS, in the first three days. It was the most successful debut for a smart phone yet, and Apple struggled to keep it in stock for months.

The iPhone 4 will feature a higher-resolution screen, longer battery life, dual cameras and a thinner design than last year's model.

Tuesday's ordering was marred by two major problems: Buyers reported problems registering their orders and an apparent glitch in AT&T's website was steering some customers into strangers' accounts. Lines formed in stores as clerks tried to get orders into their systems.

"Many customers were turned away or abandoned the process in frustration. We apologize to everyone who encountered difficulties," Apple said in a statement Wednesday.

On Gizmodo.com, a technology website, several readers posted stories of trying to log into their AT&T accounts to upgrade to the newest iPhone and being sent instead into strangers' accounts. That could set the stage for identity theft scams such as ordering other products under that person's name.

AT&T said it received reports of customers seeing the wrong account information but wasn't able to replicate the problem and was investigating. But the company said the personal information users were seeing in one another's accounts didn't include Social Security numbers, credit card information or detailed call logs.
    Just last week, AT&T plugged an embarrassing security hole on its website that exposed the e-mail addresses of people who had bought another new Apple product, the iPad.

Apple shares rose $6.24, or 2.4 percent, to $265.93 in midday trading. AT&T shares fell 4 cents, or 0.2 percent, to $25.50.

___
    AP Technology Writer Jordan Robertson contributed to this report from San Francisco.

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_16036/cont...tguid=qFMygVh3

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Apple, AT&T get record number of iPhone orders

Mine should be here on the 24th as well :)
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Blog Entries

Re: Apple, AT&T get record number of iPhone orders

Hmm...let's speculate on the money acca spent through the years on his apple fetish.

First, the initial iPod $400
    Then he probably got the next upgrade to hold 80GB or so...$300

Then the iTouch $499
    Then the initial iPhone $499
    Then the 3G upgrade $200
    Then the 3GS upgrade, another $200
    Then the iPhone 4G upgrade, $200

Then he bought the iPad (not sure if the WiFi or 3G) so anywhere between $599 -$799

Then don't forget the Macs and countless upgrades...$1000s of dollars.

Somewhere in the $3500+ range?
    No wonder Apple loves the fanboys. $3500 for a phone and laptop.

And I didn't even ask if u have all the accessories and other devices. IE appleTV, printer, etc.

Haha, does this sound about right?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Haha, does this sound about right?
    You're a little low... initial 8gb iphone was $599 then to by a new one every year you'd have to pay the unsubsidized price so tack an extra $200-$300 onto each new phone price. I know because I'm almost as bad.

Blog Entries

Re: Apple, AT&T get record number of iPhone orders

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick

You're a little low... initial 8gb iphone was $599 then to by a new one every year you'd have to pay the unsubsidized price so tack an extra $200-$300 onto each new phone price. I know because I'm almost as bad.
    Really? U had to pay full price, with no upgrade incentive. WOW!

Just to imagine - just for a phone, especially when the phone upgrade from 3G to 3GS was a 1.2MP camera upgrade, faster CPU, and video recording. $400 dollars for that.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Really? U had to pay full price, with no upgrade incentive. WOW!
    Like I said, *almost* as bad. I bought the 1st gen and 3rd gen and bought my wife the 2nd gen. Almost pulled the trigger on the new one but I have high hopes of the elusive Verizon iPhone happening sometime in the next 6-9 months. But my fan-boy cred is still strong, I am about to purchase my 7th Mac in the last 4 years.

I'll actually be able to sell my 32 GB 3GS overseas for over 400 bones. My friends son just sold his 32 GB 3GS on KSL for 375 and he got the first offer in 7 minutes. I paid 299 for my iPhone 4 32 GB. Looks like I will pocket 100 smackers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Like I said, *almost* as bad. I bought the 1st gen and 3rd gen and bought my wife the 2nd gen. Almost pulled the trigger on the new one but I have high hopes of the elusive Verizon iPhone happening sometime in the next 6-9 months. But my fan-boy cred is still strong, I am about to purchase my 7th Mac in the last 4 years.
    Don't get your hopes up for iVerizon as apple and AT&T signed a 5yr exclusive contract. = 2012 (at the earliest).

"AT&T now covers up to 97% of Americans...but only 5% of the time," as I now say.

Side note: u can buy direct from apple in Ireland, France, England, Australia, Sweden - unlocked iPhones. But it is very expensive and European cell carrierers are horribbly expensive and cap ya off at 750MB for "unlimited".
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Hmm...let's speculate on the money acca spent through the years on his apple fetish.
    out of curiosity, why?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    out of curiosity, why?
    come on...If there is Apple News, he is the first one to post about it. And apple has "premium" hardware for a VERY "premium" price. And all this news about the 4G coming out next week, and the prices for full retail of $499 and above, and I have friends who upgrade everytime a new iGod comes out - so why not??? let's ballpark a figure for apple loyal fanboys.

Long Story - - - In my last business class (1150) we were taking about how successful businesses are trying to leash their customers. And we had a huge debate, rather pros and cons, of Apple's business approach. And watching my friends and hearing other people about their new iGods and new iIdolatry devices is fascinating to me. Especially how my brother and I have our own business and are happily successful with it, since debuting in 2009.

Short Story - - - ..watching tech trends are fun and fascinating.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

It is fun to watch. Apple executes buzz marketing as good or better then anyone.

I like apples
    Name:  apples-ca..jpg
Views: 315
Size:  156.4 KB

amidoinitrite?
    The man thong is wrong.

iGods and new iIdolatry devices
    are you really likenin' the way people view these things as representations of god?

i just thought people were having (perhaps too much) fun with some of the best toys on the planet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    are you really likenin' the way people view these things as representations of god?

i just thought people were having (perhaps too much) fun with some of the best toys on the planet
    I call them that, because my friends (and sometimes myself) probably use the device more than we should. In my church I will see the teens and older folks with their iPhones and they are always looking down at it (rarely will they pop their heads up). In my classes at Weber, everyone who has one is always checking their email or texts even if there is none. At Target or Smiths and even Walmart I'll see more and more people with earbuds Plugged into their iPhones. At work meetings I see the exact same thing, I have 3 bosses, all ladies, who have iPhones and they are always checking their emails and surfing the web (I sit right behind and watch them all the time).
    I can go on and on...but yes, people should start calling them iGods. THE source where all information flows from...haha.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I call them that, because my friends (and sometimes myself) probably use the device more than we should. In my church I will see the teens and older folks with their iPhones and they are always looking down at it (rarely will they pop their heads up). In my classes at Weber, everyone who has one is always checking their email or texts even if there is none. At Target or Smiths and even Walmart I'll see more and more people with earbuds Plugged into their iPhones. At work meetings I see the exact same thing, I have 3 bosses, all ladies, who have iPhones and they are always checking their emails and surfing the web (I sit right behind and watch them all the time).
    I can go on and on...but yes, people should start calling them iGods. THE source where all information flows from...haha.

indeed ... people are addicted ... gives a whole new meaning to "turn on, tune in, drop out"

A
    T
    &
    T

Also the Droid X should be officially announced later this month.

Name:  iphone4-nyc..jpg
Views: 254
Size:  12.6 KB

From what we hear, there are still some pretty significant lines around the country and the world as Apple fanatics wait to get the iPhone 4.

But we were there just after dawn this morning to take some photos and videos of the launch, and put together this three-minute version of the madness from our footage taken at the Apple store on 5th Avenue in New York City for those of you that sat it out (or simply were smart enough to have your iPhone shipped to your residence or place of business).

Check it out to find out why some waited in line 13 hours and longer, what features people are looking forward to the most, and a sense of just how long the lines were at the stores. Stay tuned until the end for an iPhone 4 inspired song featuring a cowgirl and vuvuzela.

upgraded from iphone 1 after nearly 3 years ... the new phone is really nice