Thread: Salt Lake Slips - Big Cottonwood Canyon

Salt Lake Slips - Big Cottonwood Canyon

Nice shaded area for climbing. Definitely some fun climbs especially for any beginners.

http://www.examiner.com/x-35952-Salt...tonwood-Canyon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SL Slips is the scairest place to climb around SLC in my opinion. Always see elvis leg on 5.6, belayers giving way too much slack, scared climbers, scared belayers... I cringe at the thought of going there cause I'm always afraid I'm gonna be having to rescue someone from a nasty fall. The routes are pretty good for the easy grades though.

Yeah that would be a bit scary. It was one of my first places I climbed after tearing up my knee one year, and I fortunately had some great people I was climbing with. There weren't a whole lot surrounding us at the time. That was a few years ago. I like how it's shaded though :)

Not great timing for this article. The creek is still way too high to cross, and, kids try to find a way. Glad you mentioned the trail, but, a stronger caution to NOT use any illegally set up tyrolean traverses across the creek would be super prudent. A gal was killed here a couple years ago, and, her family and the Forest Service monitor this area for that rope crossing.

"This is a pretty popular area but know that there is a river that needs to be crossed for access to the Slips, so please take caution in crossing the river. It can be dangerous especially when the water is high. There is a trail from Storm Mountain that you can access the Salt Lake Slips from. The volunteers of SLCA (Salt Lake Climbing Alliance) http://www.saltlakeclimbers.org/ did a great job building this trail, so take advantage of it especially in times of high water."

Folks should be using that trail all the time, instead of crossing the river. Erosion on the river side is kinda bad too.

The river doesn't "need" to be crossed at all.

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC
    (who helped the SLCA build that trail)